DragonDude's Recent Posts

13 Sep 2020, 7:35 am
in What does your fursona sound like? (go to post)
hmm i'd argue Chomps (in my icon) would sound like me but deeper and slower, since they're Big And Buff. Dino would sound like Dribble from Warioware (gold) but arguably with more of Spitz' (same game) energy.

Funny, while I do love characters with that Big Buff but Goofy Friendly voice, I don't know many of them!
I'm Dragon/Croc, They/Them, xe/xem, it/its! SAvatar by me Signature... Is a crocodile.
AroAce, my avatar is my fursona. It's a crocmodo dragon!
FIXED PAINTIE :groovin:
w8smgyh26ch21.png
7 Sep 2020, 1:35 pm
in Fursona Art Contest! (go to post)
Thank you very much!! Glad to know you find 'em cute!
I'm Dragon/Croc, They/Them, xe/xem, it/its! SAvatar by me Signature... Is a crocodile.
w8smgyh26ch21.png
7 Sep 2020, 10:34 am
in Fursona Art Contest! (go to post)
Hope I can still throw my hat in the ring!
Here's my submission:
(imgur links don't work as images and I don't have any other to upload 'em, sorry :P)
https://imgur.com/a/b7DFpP3

Picked a sloth since plants grow on their back, so I could exagerate a bit with that! I picked some ferns and turkey tail mushrooms, aside from the moss, but the plants can vary however you want.
w8smgyh26ch21.png
12 Aug 2020, 8:38 am
in Toyhouse Codes for doodles <3 [11 LEFT] (go to post)
Jashin325
here, a sourpatch!
https://imgur.com/a/C8sM9xe
(can't figure out how to add images on fv...)
w8smgyh26ch21.png
10 Jul 2020, 7:05 am
in Tips on how to start creating your own fursuits? (go to post)
I've just made my first partial so take what I say with a grain of salt, after all, I am a noob.
This is more of a negative outlook but be prepared for it to turn out different than you see it in your mind There's an old saying how your brain is more advanced than your hands.

But yes- study, study, study. Watch every tutorial you can find even if it's not for the species you want, and learn about all the different techniques used. Even if you don't plan on using them, there may be tricks you can use. Practice building the shapes you want for the head, the paws or the tail in clay.
It also helped me to draw a diagram of the head over a free illustration of a human head, then make it bigger in medibang to my own head size. Transferring those shapes to paper and using them as guidelines of how to cut the foam really helped.

Also, this may be a bit controversial, but there are always cheaper alternatives within reason. You could use buckram, or, you can try to find stuff like curtain samples, like I used, some of which also have pretty good visibility. Try to find what you want in smaller, more dedicated websites rather than big websites like you-know-who-bay and you-know-who-zon (sorry, dunno if i can actually say their names in fv...?)
Look for foam that is thicker than you think you might need, so you can cut the foam sheet in half and get double the foam. Basically, try to think outside the box.
One thing I highly reccomend you invest in is an electric knife, though. It was practically *impossible* cutting my 4cm foam without it. I managed to find one for around 7 euro at an acquaintance's store. But of course, be careful, you're practically weilding a mini chainsaw.

What more... Oh, this comes more from a sewing background- avoid buying fur online, without getting a feel for the texture. A lot of shops sell samples for quite cheap and even though it will leave a kind of acid taste in your mouth about spending money for a itsy bitty square of fabric, it's better than buying 2 meters of fabric that's completely the opposite of what you wanted.

Oh, and when shopping online, put the things in your cart one week before you actually intend to buy them. Chances are they'll offer you a discount. Speaking of those, remember to search the internet for any codes for the store.
w8smgyh26ch21.png
11 May 2020, 6:41 am
in Moving Ear Mechanism; But Fur Too Heavy (go to post)
Sorry for double post but figured I should give closure on this post:
I made a metal wire frame instead of foam, and added three more strings, braided in with the one from before, and the pulling mechanism works better. It doesn't lift by itself, i sorta gave up on that, but if it is pulled up by some External Force (read: my hand manually moving the ear) past the ~45 degree angle zone, it can go up the rest of the way.

Fun thing was the left ear was working better than the right, at a point. I have to figure out what went right, what went wrong, because who knows? Maybe other people making floppy-eared fursuits would like a cheap and simple way to make such a mechanism.
w8smgyh26ch21.png
2 Apr 2020, 3:32 pm
Ah, I didn't know about the felt! Thank you for that info, though the problem with the felt I have is that it's either purple or bright pink, not really white-beige like the fur.

A third string could help! I'll try it tomorrow, and add the results back here.

As for... Developments over here, now the string of the left ear digs into the foam without even having the fur on top. I think the string changed place inside of the "corridor" and now won't work.
I'm pondering whether it's a question of force per area; if the force was spread over a larger area of the ear "hinge", it would fix it?
I'll edit this post tomorrow with actual pictures of the head.
w8smgyh26ch21.png
2 Apr 2020, 2:56 pm (Edited 2 Apr 2020, 3:25 pm)
I drew these ones to explain to some friends seeking help.
https://imgur.com/sHXDoch
How it should work...
https://imgur.com/NohXKWp
And how it's working.

Also, FlamingPsycho, I suppose that's something I'll consider; but tje fur i have is really the only fabric I could find in a reachable radius. I've nevee seen minky being sold, and the felt i have isnt really apropriate. Thank you either way!
w8smgyh26ch21.png
24 Mar 2020, 6:28 am
Hello! So, as the title says, I was making a fursuit head. Labrador Retriever, for a Beastars cosplay. I wanted to be able to lift the ears up, and came up with a simple mechanism to do so.
A fishing line attached to the 'front' part of the ear goes around the support of the ear. By pulling on the end of it, it drags the front part of the ear along with it.

It worked fine, but now, because of the fur, instead of lifting up, it just drags the front part closer to the support.

Do you have any tips on how to stop this from happening? Or should I use another system?
I haven't sown the ear-fur to the rest of the head fur. So don't worry about that part.
w8smgyh26ch21.png
24 Mar 2020, 6:11 am
in Types of fabric not to use? (go to post)
Thank you for the advice!! And sorry for not replying sooner, I was busyfor a while.
I've put the rough-pelt fursuit on the back burner for a while now, but I'll keep your suggestions i mind for when I get back to it!
w8smgyh26ch21.png
12 Apr 2019, 11:35 am
in What species are you? (go to post)
Imma crocmodo dragon! Which I wouldn' call an original species, is just me goofin' off and wanting to have an explanation why my sona is both a broad-snouted caiman and a durgin![which is also a shapeshifter, but only for comedic purposes]
(an' hybrid's such an overused word!)
w8smgyh26ch21.png
12 Apr 2019, 10:55 am
in one word story! (go to post)
always
w8smgyh26ch21.png
27 Mar 2019, 10:20 am
in Types of fabric not to use? (go to post)
Now I'm unsure if anyone's ever done this before, google search turned up nothin', but I'll go ahead an' ask anyway!
For furring, fleecing, covering the foam base of a fursuit head, I've heard millions of suggestions for types of faux fur or fleece. Because for most folks, the purpose of a fursuit is to look... Soft, I suppose!
But I'm makin' a fursuit for a critter who I'd like to have a rough skin, think like shark skin.

I was wondering about using this rough fabric I already have, since it's the colour I want and I have a lot of it, but I was thinkin' to myself, "Now, Chomps, ol' friend. You've asked peeps about paper maché heads and they advised you against it. Surely this fabric has at least one downside to using it".

So that's what I'm asking about! I can't describe the fabric, so I'll ask this instead:

What are the types of fabric you absolutely cannot/must not/should not use for making a fursuit head?
Because they tear easily, because they absorb the humidity, because they don't let the foam breath, help a bold first-time fursuit maker!

(Note: if you'd like to suggest links to sites that sell (cheap) fabric that feels like shark skin, go ahead! That is much appreciated! But please, sites based on europe only! Unfortunately, most times, here, things I order from the Americas get stuck in customs and I have to pay their value or more to get them out!)
w8smgyh26ch21.png
13 Apr 2017, 4:25 pm
in DRAGON'S 5 MINUTE ICONS [COMISSIONS] [CLOSED] (go to post)
Ralecune I think yours will have to wait till tomorrow, I hope that's fine. I have to take a break (one usually called Sleeping..........)!
w8smgyh26ch21.png
13 Apr 2017, 3:19 pm
Stygian yep, 2005! I'm not good at remembering numbers unless they have 5 in them. I'll start workin on the icon right away
w8smgyh26ch21.png
10 Apr 2017, 11:01 am
Ennard Poofygirl coyoteteethe I'll have to take a break now, so your icons will take a little bit longer! In 3 hours they should be done.
w8smgyh26ch21.png
8 Apr 2017, 2:41 pm
SINCE IT SEEMS THIS TOPIC HAS FALLEN FROM THE FIRST PAGE, HERE IS A BUMP
w8smgyh26ch21.png
8 Apr 2017, 1:03 pm
Kingkero hah, oops didnt see your post. I'll get started right away on them too!
w8smgyh26ch21.png
8 Apr 2017, 1:01 pm
DjPawz bridgeybear04 I'll get started on 'em right away, I'll message you as soon as I've done em
w8smgyh26ch21.png
8 Apr 2017, 12:45 pm (Edited 8 Apr 2017, 1:07 pm)
OK so I will draw icons, Head only or Head+shoulders (like my icon)
They're called 5 minute icons because if I'm not busy I'll finish them in five minutes. They only take 5 seconds to make but I get distracted. I'll update with shading prices soon.

PRICES [All characters belong to me, except the 2nd one, it's a furry version of a jjba character]
The + means the price will be added to the base price, so bg and a type of lines stack.
Base- 2005FC or 50FD
2d9kpv.png
+Background- +200FC or +5FD
11sfdl0.png
+Not-Black Lines- +200FC or +5FD
2552fl5.png
+Lineless- +500FC or +10FD
2n6xb3c.png

RULES
No humans, furries/ferals only,
nothing nsfw,
nothing racist/homophobic/etc.
these icons are cheap but u gotta say i made 'em
You gotta pay first
Visual References needed
Size either 100x100, 200x200 or 300x300
w8smgyh26ch21.png
5 Apr 2017, 7:55 am
in PaintTool SAI or FireAlpaca? (go to post)
I prefer SAI because I'm used to it, but FireAlpaca looks like it.might actually be better now, it actually has more features from what I've seen, I didn't realise it had ads though that's a bummer. Gotta make money somehow I guess.

the ads i do see are ads to a steam version of firealpaca, though? what firealpacas have yall been seein
w8smgyh26ch21.png
5 Apr 2017, 7:53 am
in PaintTool SAI or FireAlpaca? (go to post)
My version of fa doesnt have ads. it has the first one, but thats easily skipable. PLUS, firealpaca has simetry tools.
and i tell ya, for smth so similar to sai, and FREE? nothin beats free!
w8smgyh26ch21.png
5 Apr 2017, 7:47 am (Edited 5 Apr 2017, 7:47 am)
in Exploration Update (go to post)
Malcolm-in-the-Middle-1x14-Bots-Bees-Sti
(yeah, I agree. i ain't one to collect, to spend money buyind fd, to breed pets, to sell stuff in stalls, , and i know i will never have a lot of stuff like those who work hard to get stuff and pay real money and this is my only chance at getting any thing slightly valuable, but blease more of those "explore x" events and less bug events)
w8smgyh26ch21.png
5 Apr 2017, 7:33 am
in Art trades? (go to post)
I could draw your character no worries! I have no access to my tablet rn, so could I just post refs to the character I'd like you to draw when I do?
w8smgyh26ch21.png
4 Apr 2017, 12:01 pm
in ABC Fictional Characters (go to post)
Ungalo (JJBA)
w8smgyh26ch21.png