gerbilfat's Recent Posts

20 Mar 2017, 10:32 am
in Barghest Guild (go to post)
Azzie I keep meaning to tell you that I love your promo sig image for the guild <3
zYdfeUE.png
a good guild for good posters
join us on discord
13 Mar 2017, 8:18 am
in Longevity (go to post)
Guild support that was just social features like guild forums or a chat would be great. It doesn't necessarily have to be complicated by adding extra features or having a reward system in place. From a development perspective, that may even be easier since there wouldn't be balance issues to worry about. Players connecting with other players is its own reward. That also doesn't disadvantage people who would prefer solo play.
zYdfeUE.png
join us on discord
10 Mar 2017, 12:42 pm (Edited 10 Mar 2017, 12:58 pm)
in Longevity (go to post)
Lots of good posts in this topic, you guys <3

Please make a dark theme, I don't like to login or interact with the site because the white is so bright and glaring.

The idea of having housing durability only wear down when you're active and logged on is an awesome suggestion. This would prevent people coming back from hiatus to a barebones account. Housing breaking is a big issue for me. I feel like this system punishes inactive users, but it's a big resource drain for people who are casually playing. Houses are expensive and require a lot of materials. It's part of a larger issue of FurVilla being really grindy.

There is a bad grind here, for everything. I was really excited to get on FV when it opened, but the grind of the gameplay wore on me quickly. yakerisu had some great points about the exploration system - it's tedious and slow. Players have to have a certain number of villagers perpetually waiting on explores in order to have materials that other classes use. Those same players need to invest a lot of attention to remember to F5 hourly and click click click through turns. Sitting clicking like a zombie on an "Explore" button isn't so much gameplay as it is busywork to get past in order to play the rest of the game. Warriors click click click click click and are stuck waiting.

Without having minigames, FV is the 'click a lot and wait' browser game where there's nothing to do while timers are counting down. It's balanced in a way that's not optimal for casual players. It's easy to get bored waiting and go do something else and not come back. There's going to be full-time high-rolling power players that are on the site 16 hours a day - that happens with every game. Right now, the game goals are basically unattainable or unfun for someone who isn't willing to make that big of a time and/or IRL money investment.

EDIT: fistbump Laz Felidae is amazing and it's what has kept me on the site even though I've stopped playing the game portion!
zYdfeUE.png
join us on discord
3 Mar 2017, 7:29 am
in Felidae Guild [old thread] (go to post)
Ahh thanks for running this for us! I'm super curious about who's gonna win! * w *
zYdfeUE.png
join us on discord
14 Feb 2017, 9:54 am
HEY GUYS! HAPPY V-DAY!

tumblr_oldg5nM3ap1rijjgzo1_540.png

Softpurr Azzie Catbat HellCat cassiopeia TeefTeefers
gladion Roidgy Fenrier CheshireSmile InfernalFelidae
Pastelss houseteeth rainbowpride dustytuft snowflakeartist
Ferny XxEuphoriaxX objecthead Blaire Rigbybestie
NeonRacoon Pippi User66924 Mew Mephisto Pinnate
FireHawk Stygian Oni LuckyMou FeatherWolf bandycam
Xynn Teacup Sparklau Hatty -Mocha- Mewzia Sadrain
Arkiger AlbinoFawn Rosegalaxy StormDragon21
CrimsonAero redblackpawprint Northern-Lights luvloveless
Thornes Bailey Astroo Melting Xalix Shrek
Baabulicious Mayal goop SplashStar gusty
Mini-Moth xaltoxin Celia Mimic Sassibirb galaxies
Alluminocity _always_ Kaisaria Insanity_Rocket
FunDeadPerson emberz Starseeker Drac-avian_Icicles
Pamuya Nlco Finnaverre Alistair Killian Ursula_Cat
shadowwolfgem lignioct Soulfrost11 RomeuJack
Smolder Undyne MxPeridot DeeJay GrendelPhantom135
lazarwolfe dollchu Sera aeonbahamut felibeilschmidts
nuyoukai Quwilly -Miao- Jaded_Pencil Svinn
ZombieBiologist KageOokami tallstar Poinephobia
Switchbones Muffet JustTopaz Frostyfluff Lowrie
NulliusNominis Honey_Comb Lum-ii Pixelated_Prophecies
Ghuleh Viola Sqidney SweetSacrilege Nymphiia
Stu Laz AngelAura dingus cyutea K0VAK DeadRed
RubberDuckee Lionquinn Mercedes Angelfox64
Pichi2214 Wolfy858 Lemming Witchling FinalAbsolution
KaceyCat Mollie Amuk Mykestri Honey_Twist_
Enetelligence Zombilon bunnyfeathers NebulaKitten
LuxVixen Supernatural theArrow Geek AlphaTheFury
Rosebriar Admiral Delightfulmac Felispirit Starchaser
Shadica EmoWeeaboo LightningAtHeart milkywaywishes
thepinetree zavvapastella Kay WolfieSoftPaws fuzzyfurball1
Vinity Kylo_Ben DreamingHeart Rinoa MizzShy glitteryskyez AsunaYuuki IloveCreampuffs Suicune5678 Kreptacat llZoeyll Crookedhalo1109
saltysmilodon Ahnkaishu FaroreImagi sbzry Althena
Wusel Ryuuka-chan mumpkins SykiaHarpy pumkinspize
Hallow-Grimfang Jyn Pawsitively_Bloody Lenden
StrawberrEclair SovereignOfDarkness FalseReality
luposphere kitteneyejo mxtalgasm Parselmouth Emeraldheart
cannibalism TetraAlibi Nagakun April_ONeil silversnowmeow
Safe ElectraX Inkyskies435 cookie4q SnowRaven McReyes
Duality jimblespage saiyouri Ambipom -Apollo- haleighblythe
Sunwing_Ani flurrypaw
zYdfeUE.png
join us on discord
8 Feb 2017, 10:39 am
Those cattes are so cute, gonna be neat to see what the new content for the event is!
zYdfeUE.png
join us on discord
26 Jan 2017, 7:56 am
Hayy Mama Purrrrr I hope you're feelin' better soon!
zYdfeUE.png
join us on discord
8 Dec 2016, 3:21 pm
in Why Charging Per Hour Doesn't Work (go to post)
Tspuun said:
It's just that there's just a lot of young and/or beginner artists who a) don't produce professional-quality work or b) don't know the value of a dollar well because they're still in school and don't work for a living.. No one wants to be the bad guy tearing beginners down by telling them they aren't good enough to do commissions, but at the same time no one's going to pay a decent hourly wage for novice-quality work. I also kind of want to blame Deviantart and their shitty Points for enabling people to pay low prices for novice work, but that's far from the only thing driving prices down.

A good post - I'd give you a tip if this was a feature. (a feature request, perhaps?)

This low cost commission thing started a long long time ago. I remember being on FA 10 years ago thinking wow, this person is undercharging a lot!. Going on Gaia Online (and even farther back, Furcadia), you could nab really good art for fake online currency that ended up being almost no real money at all. Revealing my age a bit here, huh.

I think it's because the internet enabled artists to communicate with fans in a way that wasn't really possible before. It let a lot of hobbyist artists offer art for money without having a third party involved, like a zine or some other kind of publication. These artists were thinking as hobbyists and not as freelancers. For a good or even passable amateur artist, it's an easy shortcut to website/game currency without having to pay $$$ or grind for hours to get it. If someone did come around and asked for a price that equated to a fair hourly wage, they were criticized for overcharging or being a snob.
zYdfeUE.png
join us on discord
8 Dec 2016, 1:29 pm (Edited 8 Dec 2016, 1:36 pm)
You talked a lot about beginning artists in your post and made it seem like hourly rates are bad for clients - but when you look at their commission prices vs. how much time they put into them, it breaks down to less than minimum wage for the artist. This is why figuring out hourly rates is important. It acts as a guideline for the artist so they can get a feeling for what they should be charging. I personally find it ethically dubious to pressure artists to conform to prices that break down to be less than the legally required minimum wage in whatever country they're living in. I'm not saying that you personally are doing this, btw, more like that's how the market works for commissioned art right now. There's a ton of downward pressure on art prices, and that makes it hard for people like sirblern to enter the market without essentially ripping themselves off.

If an artist has issues with taking excessive amounts of time per piece or has quality that isn't up to snuff, that person should probably not be offering commissions just yet. What happens when these artists *do* enter the market is that they're charging a way low price for their work. That means that professional and semi-professional artists have to compete with them on price. That drags down prices for the entire market. It's a situation that's good for clients (cheap art) but bad for artists (unlivable wages).

The only thing that separates a good/great artist from a beginning artist is how much effort they invest into their art. Those kids in school you saw who were amazing at art were probably drawing all the time, drawing on every surface available to them, compulsively. This hidden, secret effort that nobody saw translated into 'wow magic' whenever someone did see their work. Combined effort over a long time = experience, enabling an experienced artist to work better and faster than someone who is still trying to figure out their fundamentals. People new to the commission market need to time themselves when they work and figure out what an appropriate rate is from there. If a client tells me that I am too expenisve or argues with me about prices, that's fine. Another client will come along who will value my time the same way I do.

EDIT: What I mean about timing is that the artist needs a stopwatch or something to figure out how much time they're spending on art multiplied by whatever hourly rate they think is fair. If they end up with some insane price, that may be a hint that they may not be ready to take commissions just yet.
zYdfeUE.png
join us on discord
8 Dec 2016, 12:55 pm
Just curious - do you take commissions or buy commissions from artists at all? I'm seeing in your signature that you're 17 and a university student, so I'm not sure how much experience you have dealing with working and wages and art.

Part of why pricing per hour needs to be a thing artists do is because artists, usually beginners, seriously undercharge for their work. This depresses prices in the entire market. If you do the math, a lot of artists are working for less than half of minimum wage. This may be OK for someone who is a student or living at home. This is not OK for someone who is living independently and has many adult financial obligations to cover.

Would you show up at a shitty hard job, deal with petty demanding clients, and then engage in skilled labor for less than minimum wage? I don't think so.

Waiting tables isn't a fair comparison because those workers are working for tips, at least in the US. Doing commission work is skilled labor and needs to be compensated as such.
zYdfeUE.png
join us on discord
7 Dec 2016, 3:23 pm
Ahhhh I'm so excited!!! :D
zYdfeUE.png
join us on discord