Nebulonyx's Recent Posts

3 Jan 2019, 12:36 pm
in Realistic Raptor Suit WIP! (go to post)
Lykos Paulie You've been added! Thanks! ^^

Red-Panda Aaaah no, it's not cardboard--the warm lighting makes it look brown, but it's gray EVA foam, the stuff that often gets used for the bottoms of footpaws or things like armor in cosplay. ^^

Lykos Thank you! I made them myself :D
3 Jan 2019, 11:32 am
Pepporoni_Pizza You've been added! Thank you! ^^

twotailstm I've been drawing and making stuff for a really long time! Not necessarily fursuits or costumes--though I am a long-time cosplayer--but even small crafts and projects can help build your skills ^^
3 Jan 2019, 11:28 am
DraconicMusic I figured it was for updates on the costume! I figured people would just message me directly if they wanted a commission :"D
3 Jan 2019, 11:23 am
DraconicMusic meeyontokki Eirlili Chromie I've added you all as well! Thanks for your interest! ^^

Chromie For commissions, I'm open to both--I have a lot of experience doing digital art, and I'd like to start making suits and parts for other people more regularly. In terms of price, I try to keep it affordable, especially considering I'm not exactly well-known =u=;

Art commissions start around the $10 USD mark for sketches, and for something like one of my raptor masks, a blank starts at about $50 USD (it's more if I have to make a new pattern--I already have Deinonychus and Utahraptor available ^^ ). A complete mask would start at about $300, and price would depend on markings and features. I'm not confident enough to do fullsuits yet, but I may offer feet, sleeves, and tails in the future--but I haven't really thought about those, eheh. I hope that answers your question, but feel free to message me for more details :D
3 Jan 2019, 10:43 am
Oof, sorry for a long delay, but: Diam0ndUn1c0rn bitsiespider Joey-wyvern Silverpelt60 ZombiSteak meatlands wickedgarden Lime-dragons-lick Cetchi owo_emmie

You've all been added to the pinglist! I sometimes forget Furvillla exists :"D

I don't have much to report on the costume's progress; I tend to work kinda slow on big projects and that's why I haven't finished it in the... uh... like 10 years I've had it (but considering discoveries in paleontology and learning about new materials on my part, it's actually worked to my advantage XD). But I hope to make major progress in the coming months now that the anniversary of Deinonychus' publication looms, so maybe?? I'll have something to show :"D
3 Jan 2019, 10:14 am
in clay fursuit? (go to post)
You might also look into thermoplastics--plastic you can heat and then shape! I think Worbla's one of the bigger brands, but there are others, and some have different finishes and properties that might work for what you're going for. You might still use clay to act as a mold you can then heat the plastic over to get the right shape--but the plastic will give you the smooth look while being way more durable and lightweight ^^
8 Nov 2018, 8:56 pm
in Character design contest (100k fc) (closed) (go to post)
WaveringHeart Ah whoops, this is what I get for forgetting to log in for like a month--Oh my gosh! I'm really glad you liked it! I designed it just for you so I'm not terribly concerned about keeping it--I hope you have fun with it! :D
28 Sep 2018, 1:46 pm
wickedgarden Yes! I've just been a little swamped irl and will add people in the next few days! ^^
25 Sep 2018, 12:03 pm
Ahaha, thanks guys! I'm hoping to finally get some real progress done on it and I'm excited to share ^^

Taki_Wolf MeloNeko TropicalMew You've all been added!
25 Sep 2018, 11:30 am
Not a huge update but hdfsdsg the event I want to have this done for is less than a month away - @ Luckily some of the stuff that's been occupying my time should be clearing up soon, but I'm still a little concerned =u=;

But, if I do make major progress, you'll be sure to see the results ^^
8 Sep 2018, 1:29 am
Breezeyheart asjkhdkjshf thank you! As BeakyBirds said, most stores sell it as anti-fatigue floor mats, and craft stores carry it as 'craft foam'; from what i've seen the furry community often call it 'foamies' as well. But it's all the same stuff, and you can get a decent quantity for pretty cheap online! ^^

BreadElementalist ahaha, thank you~ ^^

BeakyBirds sfksjhfjshf thaaaank ;u; When it comes down to it, I've just been making stuff pretty much all my life, and I guess it pays off! And I'm really glad so many people seem to be excited about it too <3
5 Sep 2018, 7:06 pm
Red-Panda No problem ^^

Minty_Breeze Yeah, as I said, it's used a lot in cosplay props and armor and such, so I couldn't think of a reason not to use it for mask bases! It's maybe not as durable as a resin mask, but it's so much easier for me to work with. I'd still like to do some resin casting for things like the teeth, as sculpting them by hand is a hugely time-consuming process, but I don't really have the workspace for it at this time u.u;
5 Sep 2018, 7:00 pm
Minty_Breeze oh god no XD My currently finished mask is made of a paper board and while it hasn't gotten moldy or anything, it is peeling apart, so I've learned from that mistake :"D The new base is made from EVA foam floor mats--the same stuff that's sold in thinner sheets as craft foam! So it should work pretty well ^^
5 Sep 2018, 6:55 pm
Red-Panda It's not too hard to add pics, it just takes some time! You'll need an image hosting site or something like that to put your pics on first, then you take the link to the image and put [img] tags around it. There's a guide to using BBCode in the help section of the site, it'll tell you exactly what to do too ^^
5 Sep 2018, 6:44 pm
Aaaah I'm glad so many people are excited! The pinglist has been updated accordingly! ^^
5 Sep 2018, 5:16 pm
CottonCandyFloof Little_World I've added you both! Thank you for your support ;u;
5 Sep 2018, 5:06 pm
sciencesparrow Of course! I look forward to it! :D
5 Sep 2018, 5:01 pm (Edited 5 Sep 2018, 5:02 pm)
sciencesparrow Since I already have a pattern for them and they're made from EVA foam, Deinonychus blanks go for $55 USD! I also have a Utahraptor pattern, and that one goes for $65 (it's a little bigger, heheh), and hope to do additional species in the future ^^

The technique is still a little experimental--EVA foam is used in cosplay props all the time, but I don't see it in fursuiting much so I'm nervous there's some unspoken rule against it o-o;; But for this it seems to work well enough, and is way more accessible than resin casting, so until I discover any major problems it's what I'll use! ^^

Edit: all new pinglist requests have been added! ^^
5 Sep 2018, 4:44 pm
Detective_Prince Added you! ^^
5 Sep 2018, 4:40 pm
Minty_Breeze Media Treble_da_Doggo sciencesparrow If you haven't been alerted already, I've added you all to the pinglist! Thanks for your interest ^^
5 Sep 2018, 4:29 pm
Ahah, seems I do need one! Alright, I'll get it started ^^

Work on this has always been slow for one reason or another, so I can't promise frequent updates, but maybe having an eager audience will help motivate me to work a little faster, heheh -u-
5 Sep 2018, 4:21 pm (Edited 3 Jan 2019, 12:33 pm)
So, ever since I was in middle school, I've wanted to make a realistic raptor dinosaur costume. It started out as just wanting to live the childhood dream of being a dinosaur, but since then I've realized there's a lot of educational potential as well, and this ambitious project has evolved from something just kind of fun to something that will really make an impact (and be super fun, duh!) ^^

The specific species is Deinonychus; here's the plan for what the finished costume will look like--though, hopefully a little less anthro than I've drawn it, since the idea is to not look like a person in a suit XD
Raptorsuitidea4_zpsk8dqizb1.png

I only have a few parts done so far, and a long way to go, so here's hoping I can get it done soon--the 50th anniversary of Deinonychus' scientific publication is coming up, and I can't think of a better time to debut it!

Pics of the costume so far:
Head (it has a bit more done on it than this photo shows but): RaptorWTeeth_zpsiyjpbkir.jpg
Body and tail: raptorbody1_zpsqd1rfvcf.jpg
Feet:
raptorfeet_zpss7bqxk9s.jpg

Let me know if you'd like to be added to the pinglist or commission me! ;D I'm looking forward to sharing this project with everyone ^^

Pinglist:
Media Treble_da_Doggo sciencesparrow Minty_Breeze Detective_Prince seafoam852 Ansel_The_Viscet Kitsune21 CottonCandyFloof Little_World Sinfulnature UmbreonTheSnekQueen Snekk arbitraryabsurdity glorified-oblivion Reilon BeakyBirds Snowshoyu Red-Panda CyberneticCaballus Breezeyheart Taki_Wolf MeloNeko TropicalMew Diam0ndUn1c0rn bitsiespider Joey-wyvern Silverpelt60 ZombiSteak meatlands wickedgarden Lime-dragons-lick Cetchi owo_emmie DraconicMusic meeyontokki Eirlili Chromie Lykos Paulie
5 Sep 2018, 4:19 pm
in Fursuit Head (Building Started) (go to post)
sciencesparrow I'm literally about to post it! :D

Lacerda does really good paleoart! You may have seen some of it, but I recommend checking his stuff out if you love prehistoric creatures, it's really inspiring ^^
5 Sep 2018, 3:45 pm
in Fursuit Head (Building Started) (go to post)
sciencesparrow and CyberOne I've made a couple of raptor masks using EVA foam bases, and I should make a thread about my realistic Deinonychus suit I'm slowly working on; I feel the same in that there's not enough options for prehistoric species and want to try helping with that... I'm just not good at getting my name out there :"D

That said, a Pteranodon should be a really interesting subject! The pic you used is pretty outdated though, so here's one from Julio Lacerda that hopefully provides some inspiration ^^

pteranodon-longiceps_julio-lacerda.png?w

I'm interested to see how it goes, so add me to the pinglist too!
2 Sep 2018, 3:07 pm
in ~Nyx's Art Things!~ [Slots open!] (go to post)
RedlaSunShowers029 Ah thank you! I just don't have an interest in collecting a lot of the items on this site, hence only asking for currency, but I don't mind waiting and am looking forward to what you have in mind! ^^