Oops, I started a thing

25 Nov 2018, 6:11 pm (Edited 20 Jan 2019, 1:02 am)
ciYX0lF.jpg

I just had one of those sudden "I feel like making a fursuit for no apparent reason" moments, and I just happened to have enough materials leftover from my last suit to do so! I was originally just going to make a head base, but then I had an idea for a cute, finished partial... and now I'm planning on making a brown, Siamese-esque cat partial fursuit to sell later. This is going to be my first feline suit!

I'm a little further along on the head than the above picture shows; I've got some eyes made, and right now the head is halfway covered in duct tape for the pattern. I can start a pinglist if people want to watch?

Pinglist:
Akatsuki
arbitraryabsurdity
MochaWishes
@Ghosteez
pollyanna
anne216
ExternalEnthusiast
Connor_Murphy
MontgomeryOOF
seafoam852
Princezz_Fluffy
Galaxywolf269
Avatar by nix-sil.deviantart.com

25 Nov 2018, 6:12 pm (Edited 25 Nov 2018, 6:13 pm)
coming out great

I've always wanted to make a fursuit but I never got the money to buy anything. Lucky
D4XqaN.gif
25 Nov 2018, 6:13 pm
Oooh
I’m interested in a pinglist!
I would love to see a feline suit being made especially since I have feline fursona
25 Nov 2018, 6:22 pm
Pinglist please? This looks really good so far
vk6JP9M.png

Angel | Her/She | USA | FV Time | @106775
Toyhouse | DeviantArt

asDm8OR.png
G2PaTDu.png
25 Nov 2018, 6:24 pm
oooo! I don't have the time or money to make a fursuit or partial, but can I be on the pinglist? :0
Rachel, Sharkyyy/14/Pansexual/Nonbinary/ They, them698.gif
According to Tumblr, Nebbi is my evil twin. Yes, they're me and I am them. We do evil twin things like post in the same thread No you dense cabbage
25 Nov 2018, 6:27 pm
Pinglist plz also any estimate on the finished price?

H0CsGDo.png
╔═══════•°•═══════╗
kofi

Poltergiest Painties
Ghost Adopts
Euphagon Emporium
Caterainian Caverns!

╚═══════°•°═══════╝
25 Nov 2018, 7:22 pm
Pinglist please! Potentially interested in the estimate price as well.
god's mistake / 22 / Female / MST (Furvilla time -1)
tumblr_inline_oel71wb9Bc1qhv2bw_540.png
25 Nov 2018, 7:31 pm
pinglist please
?
AQdB2tQ.pngJZDNyZm.gif
PGV2JWb.gif
Signature by supermancrayon
27 Nov 2018, 8:57 pm
Sorry for the late response, but thank you everyone for the kind comments! ;u; I've got everyone on the pinglist now who requested it~

I just finished cutting out the pattern and have a few pieces that are ready to be sewn, so hopefully that means I'll have more pictures to share soon-ish!

MochaWishes Truth be told, neither do I usually. LOL. But I enjoy making fursuits enough that I try to set aside some time and money to do it every once and a while. (I got lucky at my last job and managed to hit a jackpot of perfectly good fursuiting foam that was just going to be thrown away, so that certainly helped me with keeping costs down!)

Ghosteez pollyanna It will have to depend on how much time I end up spending on it + how well it turns out, but it will probably end up being in the $400-$550 range (USD). c:
27 Nov 2018, 9:05 pm
I’d be interested in seeing this get made
-2FV Time | #48787 | Dude | Adopts | Premades | If It’s my Sales Thread Don’t Ping
27 Nov 2018, 9:07 pm
Ooh pinglist please!!
Toyhou.se
YCH Furry Warriors!
Art Shop!
Buy me a Ko-fi?
If there's anything you'd think I'd like, feel free to ping me!
30 Nov 2018, 3:05 pm
First update! Yeeaa!
(I apologize in advance for the dark photos)

Here's the head when it was all duct-tape'd up, just before I marked out my pattern:

IHOS1Xa.jpg

Once I had my pattern, I then transferred the pieces onto an old canvas bag I had lying around and glued them onto the head, so that the green foam color doesn't stick out from under the fur. This was also a good way for me to experiment with the pattern and figure out what needs to be changed before I transfer it onto the fur. It looks like I'll need to make the ear pieces a bit bigger, but otherwise, it looks pretty good, I think!

IHPGSvB.jpg

Here's the canvas-wrapped head, and you can also finally see the eyes in this pic! This was my first time experimenting with "follow me" eyes (I took an empty plastic bottle and cut it into 1/2" strips, then wrapped them around the eye holes before gluing the eyes in). I was afraid that I didn't make them correctly at first, but once the base was covered in fabric, I finally saw that they do indeed have a slight "follow me" effect! Yay!

The eyes themselves were made using cross-stitch fabric (my favorite see-through material) and colored with markers. I got a little creative with the eye shine and shaped them to be like stars, so I think I'll temporarily name this cat "Cosmos" because of that.

So, I guess I forgot what I Siamese cat looks like, because my plan for this cat was actually the reverse of a Siamese; I was going to use white for the muzzle and a darker fur shade for the rest of the head. I already had the white fur and some pink, minky fabric laying around, so I went ahead and made the nose and muzzle and attached them to the head last night!

Ytv5iIe.jpg

But before I glued the fur on, I made a mouth and tongue using the mink and some scraps of black flannel. That's what I attached first, then I glued the fur on over that.

GcqV3Ap.jpg

One of my main goals for this project was to finally use up a bunch of the teeny tiny pieces of scrap fabric that I had laying around, and I'm making good progress on that so far! But I also went ahead and purchased some brown faux fur to compliment this cat, since I didn't already have a second fur color in my stock pile. I ordered the fur online, so there's not really much more I can do with the head until the second fur color arrives, which is expected to be around December 5th. This is the other fur that I'm planning to use: https://www.fabric.com/buy/0411158/shannon-faux-fur-luxury-shag-cocoa

In the meantime, I guess I'll get my patterns ready for the handpaws and tail!

Also, I got the black rim for the eyes all trimmed out and ready to be glued on! I just used some regular sheet foam for the rims. I'm waiting until the head is completely furred before I attach them, but here's a sneak preview of what they'll look like:

Qpl5eA6.jpg

That's all for now! :)

Pinglist:
Akatsuki
arbitraryabsurdity
MochaWishes
Ghosteez
pollyanna
anne216
ExternalEnthusiast
Connor_Murphy
30 Nov 2018, 3:26 pm
Yo that's amazing, i love how it progressed
vk6JP9M.png

Toyhouse | DeviantArt

asDm8OR.png
G2PaTDu.png
30 Nov 2018, 3:31 pm
I'd love to be on the pinglist! I am actually making a fursuit soon, since I can afford all of it, and my good friend made me a head base.
30 Nov 2018, 7:01 pm
Looking fantastic! Loving the eyes
30 Nov 2018, 8:49 pm
Yo! Looking great s far!
30 Nov 2018, 8:52 pm
pinglist please!
thank you to Falorie for drawing my icon +1hr FV time
My Art Shop!
1a9023146b595d0f58ef532db980c9dbf86587d3
30 Nov 2018, 8:58 pm (Edited 30 Nov 2018, 8:59 pm)
PINGLIST! That...looks...Amahzeng!
Teh eyes is sparkly
I found this word called celibacy, and I am going to follow it!
Check out my stall, affordable prices you can probably beat anyway!
Magic Spotted Hyena Sticker, Frosted Tokens, and Paintie Ticket is is something I will try to buy here.
Diana Galarza of the U.S. That's right, doesn't have to just be LGBT pride now, does it? (not intimidating)
13 Dec 2018, 9:58 pm (Edited 13 Dec 2018, 10:03 pm)
Thank you, everyone! ;w;

MontgomeryOOF Aaa that's great news! :D I hope you have fun building your costume! (You'll have to share pictures of it!)

(Belated) Update!

I've been meaning to update this thread for about a week now (sorry it's been so long), but I kinda got swept up in a whirlwind of craziness during that time. But I have still been working on this!

4pbKSvW.jpg

This picture is kind of dark (sorry about that), but my second fur color did arrive last week! First impression upon opening the box: HOLY COW, that is some long, thick fur! I probably should have done the sensible thing and ordered a swatch before committing to it, but silly me just said, "eh, that costs extra money; I'm sure this will be fine". And it is fine... but very intimidating. I've never worked with fabric this heavy before!

Pros:
-Perfect color
-Incredibly soft

Cons:
-Kinda bulky
-The fur that comes loose after I cut it makes me sneeze. e.e

Overall assessment: Well, it is awfully big compared to the other fur that I'm using for this project, but it still is nice, quality fabric. I think I can make it work! (And I don't feel like going through the trouble of returning it, anyway)

Here's the face after I cut out the forehead pieces, trimmed the fur shorter, sewed the pieces together, and then attached to the head:

JZsX92I.jpg

Cosmos is finally starting to look more like how I imagined them to! (The little white dots above the eyes were appliqued on using some small scraps of trimmed, white fur). I also have the eye rims glued on now!

And, while I was waiting for the second fur color to arrive, I got a head start on the paws!

uRZQuUP.jpg

My plan is to have four little white fingers on both handpaw gloves, so here are those fingers! I'm further along with the handpaws now that I have my other fur color, but I'll share my progress on those in the next update.

Oh! And Cosmos also has a little bit of hair now.

czys0bI.jpg

It's just some blue and white yarn (brushed & straightened) sewn on to the top of the head, like you would use for making a yarn tail. I thought it would add a little pzazz.

Once all the fur is glued onto the head, I'm going to finish up by adding whiskers! I was lucky enough to find some good whisker material that I managed to save before it was thrown away:

2prjoCC.jpg

I know it looks more like hair in this picture, but they're really just small, plastic strands that came from this light-up desk decoration thing. I think they'll make great whiskers!

Pinglist:
Akatsuki
arbitraryabsurdity
MochaWishes
Ghosteez
pollyanna
anne216
ExternalEnthusiast
Connor_Murphy
MontgomeryOOF
seafoam852
Princezz_Fluffy
13 Dec 2018, 10:05 pm
Nice
totally not tiny wyverns in a trench coat. why would you think that? carry on. nothing to see here.
2j4pxsg.png by my buddy MariahKat
13 Dec 2018, 10:19 pm
Ooh, would those be fiber optic PMMA? I am going to use that too to try to make mine's whiskers glow colours! I wonder how Cosmos' ears will look.
I found this word called celibacy, and I am going to follow it!
Check out my stall, affordable prices you can probably beat anyway!
Magic Spotted Hyena Sticker, Frosted Tokens, and Paintie Ticket is is something I will try to buy here.
Diana Galarza of the U.S. That's right, doesn't have to just be LGBT pride now, does it? (not intimidating)
14 Dec 2018, 8:02 pm
Princezz_Fluffy I didn't realize there was a name for that material, but I think that's what it is! Colors shine through it, anyway.

Cosmos will just have brown ears with pink on the inside. :3 I might add some ear hair, too.
4 Jan 2019, 9:17 pm
Update: The head is done!!!!

And I'm ridiculously proud of how it turned out! :')

RBZ64dl.jpg

pC5R6VZ.jpg

You can just barely see the seam line between the neck and the head on the front, but it's basically completely hidden on the back. I wish I could have made the trimmed hair on the ears look less jagged (that's what I get for using scissors instead of investing in a razor), but that's the only real "flaw". I think this is my best work yet. ;u;

oWH9Nvd.jpg

And for Extra Professionalism™, I even lined the inside! (And I included a little tag with my business name!)

Bdqncv9.jpg
Now for the paws. I have three layers of fabric in the fingers; I've got the two furry pieces, and then I also have a thin layer of old T-shirt fabric, which I'm using to stuff the paws with a little polyester to make them extra puffy.

I've only got one paw finished at the moment, but the other is on its way! Here's everything I have so far of this suit, put together in the form of a classic Bathroom Mirror Selfie:
sVF8qkr.jpg
(Sorry the mirror is so filthy, auugh (I need to find something better to clean it with.))

The paw pads are stuffed with bits of shaved fur from the face/ears, and I'm thinking about adding another brown "finger" to each handpaw (I might also make some clay claws to glue to the fingertips).

That's it for this update! C: Once I'm done with the second handpaw, I'll be moving on to the tail, then hopefully some feet, too (I *think* I should have enough leftover fur for feet).

Pinglist:
Akatsuki
arbitraryabsurdity
MochaWishes
Snowshoyu
pollyanna
anne216
ExternalEnthusiast
Connor_Murphy
MontgomeryOOF
seafoam852
Princezz_Fluffy
4 Jan 2019, 9:59 pm
Omc you should be proud of that, it looks awesome!!
vk6JP9M.png

Toyhouse | DeviantArt

asDm8OR.png
G2PaTDu.png
4 Jan 2019, 11:40 pm
What an absolute cute!!!