Yeah I'm sick but

6 Dec 2018, 6:29 am (Edited 6 Dec 2018, 6:30 am)
Ok basically, I've been drinking water all day, like, 4 bottles throughout the day yesterday but for some reason, my throat would be bone dry in like, 2 seconds
I don't understand why
I kept waking up last night because my throat was so dry and I kept drinking water
Now I have a stuffy nose that I didn't used to have (because I'm most likely sick)

Could someone explain why my throat goes super dry real fast?? I swear I'm hydrated and whatnot, but it just, dries up
vk6JP9M.png

Angel | Her/She | USA | FV Time | @106775
Toyhouse | DeviantArt

asDm8OR.png
G2PaTDu.png

6 Dec 2018, 6:32 am
I have been sneezing a lot but eh

Omc I just coughed
I have a sore throat, don't I
vk6JP9M.png

Toyhouse | DeviantArt

asDm8OR.png
G2PaTDu.png
6 Dec 2018, 6:52 am
I can't explain why, but whenever I experience the same thing, it means I will definitely fall sick with a very bad sore throat and sometimes the flu later. So usually I try to soothe it with honey and my mom buys these propolis extract which I take as well but when I actually get sick then I'll just take whatever flu/sore throat medication I have at hand, or go to the pharmacy to buy some because it's so uncomfortable.
growlif_by_daieny-d7uk70y.png
6 Dec 2018, 6:53 am
Growlithe

By "soothe it with honey", do you mean you just sorta, eat a spoonful of honey or something?
vk6JP9M.png

Toyhouse | DeviantArt

asDm8OR.png
G2PaTDu.png
6 Dec 2018, 6:57 am
I mix it with warm water, and sometimes add lemon. :)
growlif_by_daieny-d7uk70y.png
6 Dec 2018, 6:58 am
arbitraryabsurdity
Excessive dry mouth and sneezing and coughing doesn't mean you're sick. You could simply have allergies to a pollen or dander in your house, made worse by the heater drying out the air during the winter.
The first thing you need to do is calm down and ask yourself a few questions:
-Do I take medication that could dry out my throat at night?
-Did I stay up especially late last night?
-Was I talking to someone especially long last night?
-Has the heater been running for a long time?
If you answered even a 'maybe' to any of those, then that's something to think about. I'm not a doctor by any means, but I can assure you that most causes of excessive dry mouth/sore throat are simply caused by allergies and germs that aren't anything big to stress about. If you're still worried, you can always call the nurse at your doctor's office, describe your symptoms and ask if you should make an appointment. More than likely, the nurse will ask you the same questions and tell you the same things though, but like I said, I'm not a doctor, and I don't have enough medical training to give a proper diagnosis. I just hope that I can help you relax a bit.
NJ5dWJ5q2Xt8HcP2ovwxvxWmaCntPc
yahFKa
❤ I am not a mod, but I'm here to help! ❤
6 Dec 2018, 7:03 am
Rotsuoy

I haven't taken medication since the spring, I have pollen allergies
It's winter where I am
I stayed up til like, 10 at the latest, I remember being ready and closing my eyes before 10
I wasn't verbally speaking with anyone, no
The heater runs almost constantly, we have no heating in our house besides that

Thank you for your assistance!!
vk6JP9M.png

Toyhouse | DeviantArt

asDm8OR.png
G2PaTDu.png
6 Dec 2018, 7:14 am (Edited 6 Dec 2018, 7:16 am)
Is it dry where you live?
Add winter to it, and that makes everything super dry.
In Texas..
I could put a pound of lotion on my legs, but it two hours my legs would look like they bathed in volcano ashes.
Same with my lips.
I carry chapstick with me everywhere because I have to use it constantly.

Biotène is amazing for dry mouth :D
Put Vaseline under your nostril to keep them from feeling dry.
Brush your teeth! Especially in the morning! It hydrates your mouth more than you’d think.
Call me “RGD” or “Katsuki”. Don’t call me “Kacchan”, I don’t like it.
+0 FurVilla Timekatsuki_bakugou_by_pepperskullss-dbzlio4
6 Dec 2018, 7:20 am (Edited 6 Dec 2018, 7:27 am)
arbitraryabsurdity You can still have pollen allergies in the winter time. For instance if you're allergic to ragweed you can suffer symptoms all the way through until spring the next year, and if you're allergic to mold spores you can find yourself suffering symptoms even if you don't go outside. Allergy symptoms include dry throat, itchy throat, itchy nose, itchy eyes, running nose, watery eyes, sneezing, and even coughing among others, and you don't have to have all at once.
If you find yourself drinking too much at night though, I would suggest peppermints with real peppermint oil before bed. Thankfully it's that time of year where peppermint is easy to come by. Sucking on a peppermint will help activate the salivary glands and hopefully keep them working through the night. There's not enough studies showing that real peppermint oil is truly beneficial, but it certainly won't hurt.
I'm especially fond of honey Halls. Just be aware that also cough drops aren't truly cures for sore throats. Any cough drops that contain menthol will help though, because menthol is a local anesthetic that will numb the throat as well as help promote salivary flow, because you're sucking on things. Just avoid medicated cough drops because they are expensive, unnecessary and more than likely will cause more harm that good.
yahFKa
6 Dec 2018, 7:31 am
I've had this happen quite a lot, and I am currently sick as well. I took a spoonful of honey this morning, which hasn't worked for me, as I am still coughing. I recommend not drinking from the same bottle/cup and to not drink so much, even if it does hurt. You're just giving your body what it thinks it wants, but if you just go bone-dry in a few minutes, then the body doesn't need water.
I'm not an expert, but if the dryness becomes unbearable, you can always drink water, I'm not making you stop! :))
Zilla~He/They~Too Sad To Be Rad~Tired™

72f.jpg
6 Dec 2018, 7:46 am
I've had this happen quite a lot, and I am currently sick as well. I took a spoonful of honey this morning, which hasn't worked for me, as I am still coughing. I recommend not drinking from the same bottle/cup and to not drink so much, even if it does hurt. You're just giving your body what it thinks it wants, but if you just go bone-dry in a few minutes, then the body doesn't need water.
I'm not an expert, but if the dryness becomes unbearable, you can always drink water, I'm not making you stop! :))
Honey has no evidence that it works as anything more than an inhibitor of bacteria. It won't help a sore throat. Don't tell anyone to not drink so much liquids. You should drink more liquids if you are sick and feeling dehydrated. Your body isn't a small child throwing a tantrum. There's no such thing as "what it thinks it wants" because your body doesn't 'think' like your brain does.

After that's said, I can agree with not drinking from the same bottle/cup so often. Even if it doesn't look dirty, it most definitely could be harboring germs from your saliva around the edge that could just be making yourself sick all over again. This is why doctors encourage people not to reuse water bottles when they are sick.
yahFKa
6 Dec 2018, 7:50 am (Edited 6 Dec 2018, 7:50 am)
taezilla
While I do agree that not drinking from the same bottle/cup, and/or washing them all with piping hot water occasionally is a good idea, denying yourself liquids is a bad idea.

The only time you would be drinking too much fluids, is if you were excessively using the bathroom. If not, there can only be positive effects from giving your body the hydration it needs. The dryness is a symptom of the body's fight against the illness, not the illness itself consuming the water.
Click for me n Rotsy's Newcomer's Guide to Furvilla
33 | Demigoat | Massachoochoo
Looking for a Utility Crystal: Solid or Utility Crystal: Fused
Please PM me if you have one for sale/trade
HlM340V.png
6 Dec 2018, 8:53 pm
Update everyone, my voice has dropped two octaves and I feel congested, I most definitely am sick
My mother has informed me there is nothing that can help my voice, I shall suffer tomorrow
vk6JP9M.png

Toyhouse | DeviantArt

asDm8OR.png
G2PaTDu.png
6 Dec 2018, 9:00 pm (Edited 6 Dec 2018, 9:02 pm)
arbitraryabsurdity a really good way to cure colds is herbal tea of any kind, Lemon juice and honey. this works well with me. but best if you gargle the tea to get all in your throat other then just swallowing it normally.

Lemon in water I heard works as well something about lemons kills bacteria.
WildPlayfulAmericanquarterhorse-size_res
6 Dec 2018, 9:51 pm
Alewolf
Good thing I love tea and herbal teas
We have plenty of that
I think I shall go make myself a cup ^^
vk6JP9M.png

Toyhouse | DeviantArt

asDm8OR.png
G2PaTDu.png
6 Dec 2018, 10:00 pm
Alewolf
Good thing I love tea and herbal teas
We have plenty of that
I think I shall go make myself a cup ^^

If you got lemon juice and honey best to add that in it. it really helps.
WildPlayfulAmericanquarterhorse-size_res
6 Dec 2018, 10:19 pm
I have no immune system ( Thanks ED's from my youth) so I usually get that constant dry mouth when I'm sick too,and I get sick a lot. A good (albeit surprising) remedy is incredibly sour candies. Think those super tart juice pops we begged for as little kids. They might make you feel a little gross at first, but they can do the trick to jumpstart your saliva production and make you feel a bit better. I agree with the masses above, keep up the liquids, especially lemon teas, lavender teas, and mint teas. They could offer some relief. In addition, if you take hot showers, shut the door and let the bathroom get as steamy as you can handle. The moisture may help your lungs and throat feel a bit better, and I recommend adding lavender,lemon,ginger,or sage essential oils to your shower floor, as they'll mix with the steam. I hope any of this helps, and I hope the pain eases soon.
Rose- They/them/theirs

I'm always looking for friends, and I only bite if you beg.
6 Dec 2018, 10:31 pm
Just a reminder that Furvilla is not the best place for medical advice, and you should always consult your doctor if you are feeling unwell in any way. Please take all medical advice given from players and staff with caution. If you don't have access to a doctor and are in the US you can call your local hospital's non-emergency line to speak with an on-call nurse about your condition and ask if you should see a doctor. In the UK you can dial 111 on the telephone.
If you need absolutely anything at all, please don't be afraid to ask!
Nn8aC2U.png| ToS | Rules | File a Report | Contact Staff | 4Dj7ASJ.png
Badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, mushroom, mushroom.
6 Dec 2018, 10:45 pm
Alewolf

Oh yes, I have an odd liking for lemons, they are very good
Honey is a half and half sort of deal with me, I have to be in the mood for it

Imhereimqueer
Omc you're right
Just thinking about it triggers that

MOD-Shroomy
Ah yes, I apologize, I figured it was just a small cold and nothing serious so the advice wouldn't hurt
If it does bother you that I have this thread up, I can mark it for deletion
vk6JP9M.png

Toyhouse | DeviantArt

asDm8OR.png
G2PaTDu.png
6 Dec 2018, 10:59 pm
I don't know what your tolerance for sour is , but mine is pretty high and the "toxic waste" candies always set me off without fail. They make me literally drool, and they can be found (oddly) party city stores.
Rose- They/them/theirs

6 Dec 2018, 11:00 pm
Imhereimqueer
I absolutely LOVE sour stuff
My mouth just did the thing and now I really want some lol
vk6JP9M.png

Toyhouse | DeviantArt

asDm8OR.png
G2PaTDu.png
6 Dec 2018, 11:01 pm
Oh no!! Well, I hope it helps. I don't often get a chance to offer useful advice, so I'm really happy to help!! I truly hope the discomfort eases soon.
Rose- They/them/theirs

7 Dec 2018, 6:03 am
Imhereimqueer

I slept sitting up because I figured all of the drainage (that sounds weird, sorry) would just go down if Iw as sitting up
vk6JP9M.png

Toyhouse | DeviantArt

asDm8OR.png
G2PaTDu.png
7 Dec 2018, 6:56 am
arbitraryabsurdity The issue is that advice can be harmful, and if we see anyone else giving potentially harmful advice we will have to close the thread. Furvilla is full of users from a very wide range of ages, and what works for one person could be harmful to another due to their age, health, and medical history.
If you need absolutely anything at all, please don't be afraid to ask!
Nn8aC2U.png| ToS | Rules | File a Report | Contact Staff | 4Dj7ASJ.png
Badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, mushroom, mushroom.
8 Dec 2018, 12:50 pm
Update everyone!!
I took some NyQuil last night, woke up 12 hours later, and now I feel like, 90% better

So I shall close this thread now
Thank you for all of your help ^^
vk6JP9M.png

Toyhouse | DeviantArt

asDm8OR.png
G2PaTDu.png