Fursuit construction questions

20 Feb 2019, 1:10 am (Edited 20 Feb 2019, 1:21 am)
Ok so I'm in the planning stages of my first fursuit and I need to know a few things

Minky fleece is the best way to go or should I use normal fleece. Does it change how the finished product looks? can you tell the difference from minky pawpads and normal, non-pilling fleece pawpads?

Where do I get eye mesh? the place I was looking at (fursuitsupplies.com) is currently out of stock and I don't know where else to get it.

How big should the base of a 4.5 ft floor dragger tail be to be secure?
16486570_XlCjjhrFloohyZS.png
Dakotas Chibis!
Kofi!
Kawaii Stars Vista Made By: Beaky
I used to be CandyCat77024
Please do NOT ping me in my own threads, I'm ALWAYS subbed.

20 Feb 2019, 1:13 am
Fleece pawpads are going to pill and wear thin pretty quickly. Minky is a long-lasting fabric and works great for pawpads
20 Feb 2019, 1:22 am
for eye mesh i've just gone to my local store that sells fabric (Called Fabric Mart) and I get something sheer, white, and see through. I've also gotten some nice fabrics and fabric scraps at WalMart.

for the base of the tail it's going to be down more to how well you sew it than to the size of the base of it. I would suggest at least a 5 inch diameter to the base of the tail (if it's gonna be almost 5 feet long i'd go wider, probably 7-8 inches depending on how that would fit on your body), but also make sure to secure it well with lots of extra seam allowance at nice thick upholstery thread the entire tail through. People like to be handsy with tails so you want to make sure it is really well made.

have fun and good luck finding what you need!
Former AnonFairy Existentialism (I was until people started making and releasing villagers with bad CSS... Ruin my fun why don't ya'll)
WiwPM2N.gif
20 Feb 2019, 1:40 am
Poofsuits

could I shave down fur scraps? (the pawpads will be the same colors as the markings and I can't find the right shades of blue and orange in Minky)

@Varnis
the tail should be a seperate piece from the body suit and be held on by a kidney belt, right? I've seen a bunch of makers use elastic kidney belts for their floor draggers
Dakotas Chibis!
Kofi!
20 Feb 2019, 1:47 am
Varinis

heh, just realized I misspelled your name
Dakotas Chibis!
Kofi!
20 Feb 2019, 2:13 am (Edited 20 Feb 2019, 2:13 am)
Varinis
the tail should be a seperate piece from the body suit and be held on by a kidney belt, right? I've seen a bunch of makers use elastic kidney belts for their floor draggers

You don't *have* to do things like other people do them, but it tends to be easier to pack, easier to repair, and also wearable as a partial if you do make it so it's not attached directly to the body suit.
Former AnonFairy Existentialism (I was until people started making and releasing villagers with bad CSS... Ruin my fun why don't ya'll)
WiwPM2N.gif
20 Feb 2019, 4:38 am
Varinis

would a strong, large zipper work for attaching the tail? (just exploring different options)
Dakotas Chibis!
Kofi!
20 Feb 2019, 4:42 am
Varinis

would a strong, large zipper work for attaching the tail? (just exploring different options)

I wouldn't suggest it, zippers break, even metal ones, and sewing zippers onto things is surprisingly tricky.
WiwPM2N.gif
9 Mar 2019, 10:26 am (Edited 9 Mar 2019, 10:27 am)
For eye mesh, this is what I got and I highly recommend it. It has good visibility and looks great when painted.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/560251076/buckram-vision-mesh-for-mascot-costumes?ref=shop_home_active_2&crt=1

Here's another type of vision mesh from the same seller. I got the buckram above though.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/199041445/6-x-9-and-12-x-9-paintable-plastic-mesh?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=fursuit+buckram&ref=sr_gallery-1-2&bes=1
Kevin Lazar | 26 | She/Her | Scorpio | Straight Butchâ„¢

f3700b6b11df8f3033669bfcabe0d93aa8759126
10 Mar 2019, 10:20 pm (Edited 11 Mar 2019, 1:49 am)
Pendulum Sorry for the late reply ^.^' I recently (like, two days ago) picked up some Buckram fabric from Hobby Lobby and I'm having trouble painting it. Acrylic's don't seem to work because no matter how thin the layers are the holes just get clogged up and the only 'Paint pens' I have are alcohol based

edit: Would Oil-based Paint Pens work?
Dakotas Chibis!
Kofi!