[LF] Paintie Mentor

6 Apr 2019, 5:25 pm
Okay so the title probably seems pretty vague, please allow me to explain. I'm a Paint Tool Sai user who really loves the edits others can make for the sites painties and wants to create edits as well. The only problem is that I have no idea how to paint (grayscale or normal color) digitally.
This is why I am looking for someone to help teach me. My main goal is to be able to edit the painties that have been provided and possibly create amazing works of art!
If you are willing and able/have enough patience to teach me how to paint in sai, please let me know! I am a bit difficult to teach due to my disabilities, but once I understand something I tend to improve very quickly.
Thank you for reading this! Also, I am subscribed so no need to ping me :)
Avatar was made by TheRoleplayArtist on Fur Affinity

6 Apr 2019, 5:35 pm (Edited 6 Apr 2019, 5:38 pm)
maybe this'll help qwq?

Once you download your preferred base (which can be found here https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0B05ICidEerL3QTR4Ri1yMy1fY2M), open up sai and make a new layer (Feel free to name it anything, just make sure it's over the first layer, which is the base!) Make sure it's an overlay layer, then click clipping group and selection source! and start colouring. if it's too dull/grey, and want to make it brighter, you can duplicate the colouring layer. wdMwk47.png it should look something like this qwq

EEE, WAIT I MIGHT'VE BEEN CONFUSED, im sorry! this might not be what youre looking for
Cat ❤ Loves cockatiels ❤ Tea

Pm me If you need anything~
6 Apr 2019, 5:38 pm (Edited 6 Apr 2019, 5:39 pm)
maybe this'll help qwq?

Once you download your preferred base (which can be found here https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0B05ICidEerL3QTR4Ri1yMy1fY2M), open up sai and make a new layer (Feel free to name it anything, just make sure it's over the first layer, which is the base!) Make sure it's an overlay layer, then click clipping group and selection source! and start colouring. if it's too dull/grey, and want to make it brighter, you can duplicate the colouring layer. wdMwk47 it should look something like this qwq

Oh maybe I wasn't clear >~< That's my bad. I know how to color the painties, I want to learn how to make edits. Like this kind of edit.
Edit: That's okay XD I wasn't super clear
6 Apr 2019, 5:40 pm
It's all good! Im not super great with making greyscale edits, so hopefully someone who is will see this ewe
Cat ❤ Loves cockatiels ❤ Tea

Pm me If you need anything~
6 Apr 2019, 5:50 pm (Edited 6 Apr 2019, 6:04 pm)
Maybe something like this? Instead of using it for fur maybe do objects instead.
I'd do it on a layer on top of it though.

Something else that might help would be looking at the object itself, IRL, in a dark room with a light pointed at it. Hopefully that makes sense.

For the part of the scarf wrapped around the neck I'd draw circles as a base and edit around that. Give me a sec.
artflow-201904061602.png
It's a sketch but hopefully you see what I mean.
jxfQINF.gifJ3tyi6y.gif
Art Log.

I have a grotle irl.
304779_523432087682190_277999649_n.jpg
6 Apr 2019, 5:56 pm (Edited 6 Apr 2019, 6:08 pm)
Maybe something like this? Instead of using it for fur maybe do objects instead.
I'd do it on a layer on top of it though.

Something else that might help would be looking at the object itself, IRL, in a dark room with a light pointed at it. Hopefully that makes sense.

For the part of the scarf wrapped around the neck I'd draw circles as a base and edit around that. Give me a sec.

Huh, that might actually be a bit helpful. I doubt I'll be able to do that great since I mostly need a 1-on-1 type thing, but I'll give this a shot! Thank you!

Edit:
Oh I understand what you mean! Thank you!!
6 Apr 2019, 6:11 pm
Welcome, happy to help. Well you never know until you try. Plus everyone takes baby steps. Hopefully it turns out nicely.
jxfQINF.gifJ3tyi6y.gif
Art Log.

I have a grotle irl.
304779_523432087682190_277999649_n.jpg
7 Apr 2019, 2:38 am (Edited 7 Apr 2019, 2:49 am)
I've actually been interested in doing a greyscale tutorial, because that's been my favorite part of editing so far! :D
It might be a bit until I can actually getting around to like... doing it, but Indie and Lilly (paintie in desc. atm) both have edits! The former has his hat and a complete species change from the Skunk base since he's an old boy and and was made before badgers were introduced, and Lilly is just... everything haha.

I personally do a different method than what Greater-Dog brought up (although that's totally valid too!) where I block in shapes, then shade them in. I have a few progress shots of how I go about it, but like I said, I totally want to better document this sometime in the future!
WIP 1 | WIP 2

EDIT: Oh, and one more WIP! A total mess and I haven't touched it in a while, but I started adding the hair to my boy Caleb haha. I also lengthened his snoot and changed the end of his lips/cheek, Rather than redrawing his muzzle from the start, I just used the lasso-tool, moved over the nose to where I wanted, then patched everything up by painting over it.
monochrome_social_icon__deviantart__by_g monochrome_social_icon__twitter__by_gasa monochrome_social_icon__home__by_gasara-