Questions from a beginner fursuiter

21 Apr 2019, 11:44 pm
Hello! I've just recently made the decision to start on my first fursuit head. I looked over a lot of tutorials and such and it seems like something I can do!
Honestly, my only problem would be gathering the materials. Especially since I have a lot of limits to what I can get and where I can get it.
Firstly, I'm trying to stay on a budget of $200 or less (which shouldn't be too hard if I'm doing just the head I think??)
Secondly, here's the real problem, I'm limited to Amazon.com only. This is mainly because I order from there all the time and I don't like to trust other random websites with my information.
So, what products would anyone reccomend? For foam and furs. And how can I go cheap without going horrible-quality cheap?
Thanks for any help!
pO3STdW.gif
Star | She/her | Artist and writer
Toyhou.se
As of June 13 2019 I am quitting/taking an indefinite break from Furvilla! I will only be finishing the art I still owe. If I owe you something else and I’ve forgotten, please feel free to message me!
pO3STdW.gif

22 Apr 2019, 5:06 pm
Small bump ^ ^
pO3STdW.gif
Star | She/her | Artist and writer
Toyhou.se
As of June 13 2019 I am quitting/taking an indefinite break from Furvilla! I will only be finishing the art I still owe. If I owe you something else and I’ve forgotten, please feel free to message me!
pO3STdW.gif
22 Apr 2019, 5:37 pm
Are you unable to order from fabric.com? It's one of the better sites out there for furs, and I have several friends who use it with no problems. It's very reputable
Otherwise Gilda might have some advice, she just finished a head
god's mistake / 23 / Female / MST (Furvilla time -1)]
22 Apr 2019, 6:11 pm
You definitely want to stick to Luxury Shag fur. Never use craft fur (its thin, rough, sheds...just a cheap mess). I get my lux shag from Fabric com. But you can also go to fursuitsupplies.com. though, be warned that FS dont update stock options too much.
I get my foam (1-1.5") from walmart by the roll. Very handy and it costs about $15.
Also, dont underestimate the glue and duct tape you'll need.
2764631_wh1bMeNlSlXlliB.gif?1486907232☆Click!☆->jsm9er1qjyzsjema_by_chibi_dragon_wolf-dc
sprites_by_chibi_dragon_wolf-dc28d1o.png
^ Click For PDW Shop^
22 Apr 2019, 6:15 pm
I second the comment about glue and duct tape. ;0;
10083499_sdkgxKq3Br8doOc.gif

22 Apr 2019, 9:24 pm
A lot of what you want to keep in mind is that limiting yourself to strictly one online site will cost you way more money in the long run.

As for just the kinds of materials you'll probably need for the two items you'll probably want to make to get this totally done well.

For a basic head dummy:
Someone you trust or a measuring tape and some tenacity with those plastic 'needlepoint' sheets (and subsequently some yarn and a yarn needle so you can stitch sections together)
Lots of Duct Tape
some plastic wrap or a plastic bag
some filler for the dummy head like lots of old newspaper/paper or an old pillow's filling

For the actual Head:
Hot Glue Gun and Glue Sticks (many many clue sticks)
1 or 1.5 inch upholstery foam
Scissors
Patience
Fur in the colors you need
Several lint rollers and probably a vacuum
Some sort of mesh for the eyes
Former AnonFairy Existentialism (I was until people started making and releasing villagers with bad CSS... Ruin my fun why don't ya'll)