Tips on Making Your First Fursuit?

18 Jun 2019, 1:10 pm
Hello! So! I'm part of the Whipurwauna Yearbook for Wisconsin and have made a test design for a new mascot! I would like to make him into a full fursuit, drop crotch and all. I know this is very ambitious but I feel like going all out will make this much more of an enjoyable experience since I prefer longer projects over short ones because I like working for hours on end without stopping. Helps keep me in the work flow, ya know?

His name is Thumper Whip and he's kinda a mashup of several creatures. I was just exploring silhouettes and just made him using broad shapes. He will be a drop-crotch with a kemono-esque head. I have the fur links (which I will put below). His head will be made first with clay and then a silicone mold out of that because I'm sure I'm better at sculpting in clay than foam.

His ref sheet isn't quite done yet but Just imagine Tayerr's tail shape on him with Thumper's name in yellow.

unknown.png

So yeah! Any tips at all on creating a fursuit would be most appreciated.

My main worries are as follows:
1. His mane
2. His floofy neck
3. His antennae
4. His wiskers
5. The body (just in general)

Below are the links for the fur. I haven't purchased any materials yet.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/643687647/pawstar-monster-fur-yardage-lavender?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=lavender+faux+fur&ref=sc_gallery-1-1&referring_page_type=market&plkey=f2854fddcbde1ef87c7414bba76187b7047769cb%3A643687647

https://www.etsy.com/listing/610318724/eden-pale-yellow-2-inch-long-pile-soft?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=yellow+faux+fur&ref=sr_gallery-1-8&organic_search_click=1

https://www.etsy.com/listing/528054657/pawstar-monster-fur-yardage-light-blue?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=light+blue+faux+fur&ref=sc_gallery-1-1&plkey=7e15c74c9f0ed133240ca7caefd55bc9a2317391%3A528054657

19 Jun 2019, 3:47 pm
bump~
22 Jun 2019, 2:46 pm
Bump~
23 Jun 2019, 5:14 pm (Edited 23 Jun 2019, 5:19 pm)
Nice character! I'm sure that will be a fun suit. :)

My biggest piece of general advice would be to try small-scale "experiments" with new techniques before applying them to the main project. I'm not sure what your skill level is when it comes to sewing/crafting in general, but whenever I want to experiment with something new (be it digitigrade legs, body suits, etc), I always start by making a smaller version of it to fit on a toy doll. It's great practice!

To address your specific areas of concern:

1 & 2. For the neck/mane: bear in mind that I've never actually tried this before (although I'd like to someday!), but I would suggest making the pattern for the mane a little wider than the overall head size, then stuff it with polyester fiberfill stuffing to make it "poof out". Same with the neck; you could probably use a balaclava for the lining, then build a wider neck over it and stuff the inside. (I can doodle up a sketch of what I'm talking about if my words don't make any sense, haha)

3. For antennae, you could probably use some jewelry wire protected by a thin "cover" of black fabric (like flannel or something). The tips can just be your blue/teal fur cut into dots with stuffing inside, and they can be sewn to the fabric covering your wires (and probably glued to the wire itself as well, just to make sure they stay on).

4. For my whiskers, I like to use plastic jewelry cord (kinda like this). I'm sure you can find something like it in black!

5. For the body, I'd say just read a bunch of beginner tutorials and ask around if you have any specific questions that you can't find the answers to. I'd recommend starting by looking through some of Matrices's tutorials; this person covers A LOT of common fursuiting tips and tricks in-depth, and their tutorials are super helpful and fun to read! The fursuiting Livejournal forum is also a great place to lurk and to ask questions.

Good luck!!
Avatar by nix-sil.deviantart.com
24 Jun 2019, 8:39 pm
Nice character! I'm sure that will be a fun suit. :)

My biggest piece of general advice would be to try small-scale "experiments" with new techniques before applying them to the main project. I'm not sure what your skill level is when it comes to sewing/crafting in general, but whenever I want to experiment with something new (be it digitigrade legs, body suits, etc), I always start by making a smaller version of it to fit on a toy doll. It's great practice!

To address your specific areas of concern:

1 & 2. For the neck/mane: bear in mind that I've never actually tried this before (although I'd like to someday!), but I would suggest making the pattern for the mane a little wider than the overall head size, then stuff it with polyester fiberfill stuffing to make it "poof out". Same with the neck; you could probably use a balaclava for the lining, then build a wider neck over it and stuff the inside. (I can doodle up a sketch of what I'm talking about if my words don't make any sense, haha)

3. For antennae, you could probably use some jewelry wire protected by a thin "cover" of black fabric (like flannel or something). The tips can just be your blue/teal fur cut into dots with stuffing inside, and they can be sewn to the fabric covering your wires (and probably glued to the wire itself as well, just to make sure they stay on).

4. For my whiskers, I like to use plastic jewelry cord (kinda like this). I'm sure you can find something like it in black!

5. For the body, I'd say just read a bunch of beginner tutorials and ask around if you have any specific questions that you can't find the answers to. I'd recommend starting by looking through some of Matrices's tutorials; this person covers A LOT of common fursuiting tips and tricks in-depth, and their tutorials are super helpful and fun to read! The fursuiting Livejournal forum is also a great place to lurk and to ask questions.

Good luck!!

Thank you for the help! I never thought about using a doll as a base test! ^v^ good idea! And yeah, if you could do a sketch of the mane idea you've got that would be great ^v^" thank you again for your help!
24 Jun 2019, 9:32 pm
I would have suggested everything FartNugget said, honestly. That's great advice. However, in my personal experience, I would rather use sculpture armature wire instead of jewelry wire, just to get a better strength that would last longer, and for the whiskers, I'd personally use a high test fishing wire.
I've heard good things about jewelry wire and jewelry cord too though, so maybe I've just had bad experiences. :P

Another piece of advice I have is to sample, sample, sample. When ordering fur, always order swatches. I like ordering several different types and shades of the same color to make absolutely sure I have the color and style I want. Matching all the different colors together can definitely help too!

Matrices's tutorials and the fursuit LiveJournal are magnificent references! Absolutely magnificent!
NJ5dWJ5q2Xt8HcP2ovwxvxWmaCntPc
yahFKa
❤ I am not a mod, but I'm here to help! ❤
24 Jun 2019, 9:40 pm
1. His mane
either could be a detachable piece or just a long pile fur left uncut
2. His floofy neck
just lie the mane, though this would be easier to do
3. His antennae
pipe cleaners could work just fine wrapped together and covered in fleece or felt armiture wire can also do good but itl not be a 'soft'
4. His wiskers
can be bought online and in craft stores and cut down from rolls (the material)
5. The body (just in general)
depending on the body type you want, a duct tape dummy would be the best for patternig a drop crotch or just a regular suit with some padding
Twitter [email protected]
Fa - Cloviswolf359
Add me! ^^
24 Jun 2019, 9:43 pm
I've never done anything even similar (i want to), but these might help find good materials/suppliers? materials
suppliers
Cat ❤ Loves cockatiels ❤ Tea

Pm me If you need anything~
24 Jun 2019, 11:41 pm
Alright! I'm not sure if this sketch explains the neck/head much better, but hey, I tried. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

THdsYcR.png

For the neck, you can just pattern the neck floof around the neck of your balaclava (only make sure that the pattern for your character's neck is quite a bit larger than the balaclava's neck, so that you have lots of room for stuffing the inside). Then you can just stuff the space between the balaclava and the neck floof and sew the two together!

The hair is basically the same thing: get the pattern for your hair by figuring out where all you want it to cover (that's the area filled in with red on the sketch), then make your character's hair big enough so you can stuff the inside before attaching it to the base.

Hope that helps!
Avatar by nix-sil.deviantart.com
30 Jun 2019, 5:54 pm
Alright! I'm not sure if this sketch explains the neck/head much better, but hey, I tried. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

THdsYcR.png

For the neck, you can just pattern the neck floof around the neck of your balaclava (only make sure that the pattern for your character's neck is quite a bit larger than the balaclava's neck, so that you have lots of room for stuffing the inside). Then you can just stuff the space between the balaclava and the neck floof and sew the two together!

The hair is basically the same thing: get the pattern for your hair by figuring out where all you want it to cover (that's the area filled in with red on the sketch), then make your character's hair big enough so you can stuff the inside before attaching it to the base.

Hope that helps!

Ahh! I understand now! Thanks for your help!