Worried about cat losing fur

21 Jun 2019, 7:20 pm (Edited 21 Jun 2019, 7:44 pm)
I had to go on a trip and leave my cat with my relatives for five weeks. When I got back, I learned that they had not followed the feeding instructions at all. They were feeding her one scoop of the low nutrient, low calorie weight loss food daily. She’s supposed to get two scoops daily of the weight loss food for one week, then two scoops of higher nutrient, same calorie level food for one week, changing every week.

When I came back I noticed she was shedding more than normal, which I first guessed was from her not being brushed. After I had brushed her with the brush I normally use for maybe 30 minutes, less than the normal amount of time I spend daily, I started seeing patches of bare skin. Nothing in her environment changed other than the amount/type of food, so I’m guessing the fur loss is due to malnutrition.

Anyone know anything I can do to speed up the regrowth of her fur? She has mid length, thick, straight fur of a darker tone, so seeing her walking around with visible light pink patches (her skin color) is really stressful for me.

21 Jun 2019, 7:34 pm (Edited 21 Jun 2019, 7:34 pm)
Take her to the vet, they will know what to do. loosing that much fur is not really normal.
WogbCJg.png
21 Jun 2019, 7:55 pm
Ditto what Alewolf said. It may be stress related and it may be related to changes in her diet. But I'm a little nervous because you said she was supposed to have a specific eating regimen and she didn't get that
giphy.gif
giphy.gif
21 Jun 2019, 8:01 pm
Irrylath
Yeah take her to the vet ASAP like the people above me said
If she had a special diet for a reason related to health stuff and was not kept on it then you definitely need to get a health checkup to see if nothing bad happened, in the best case the vet tells you she's just malnourished and needs to be fed her diet again for a while before getting back to normal

And also totally bill your relatives the vet bills if you get any because they're the ones who caused her to have to go to the vet in the first place
21 Jun 2019, 8:09 pm
I like with everyone else are saying should take her to the vet cats do shed fur but to shed that much to the point you can see skin from reading i say its due to a change in her diet stress I'm not all that sure. But defiantly take her to a vet they'd be able to tell you if its stress related or diet related and I agree with uendo your relatives should pay the bill as they failed to follow your instructions.
4755-quetzal-palace-crest-button.png tumblr_ojqtv2TdVx1s1p02qo1_250.gif4755-quetzal-palace-crest-button.png 3450-demisexual-pride-button.png
21 Jun 2019, 8:14 pm
Is there corn in the food? That's usually the cause of loss of fur in dogs and cats from my experience. Or any grains usually (like wheat, but the biggest culprit is normally corn).
THDAFA