How to deal with a character thief?

10 Jul 2019, 5:27 am
Hello, I recently joined Art Fight, hoping to do some art for people. However, I was recently informed that someone has stolen my character there. Upon further inspection, they've even gathered art of the character in question [Pablo] on other sites such as Instagram. What do I do?

I'm very upset about it, because she is one of my main characters, and I am now hesitant to join in with Art Fight. It's the first time a character has been stolen from me, and I'm unsure of what to do.

I won't post the user, because I do not want to start a witchhunt; any help would be extremely appreciated.

WNvAhPU.png

10 Jul 2019, 5:33 am
Report it to the Art Fight mods, they will deal with it. They are super nice. I'm sorry that this happened.
Avatar created by Ender369 on Toyhouse!

A-
AURORA BOREALIS?
AT THIS TIME OF YEAR,
AT THIS TIME OF DAY,
IN THIS PART OF THE COUNTRY,
LOCALIZED ENTIRELY WITHIN YOUR KITCHEN?!
10 Jul 2019, 5:35 am
Bugdaze I've reported it to them, hopefully they can get it settled. It's just that they're on Instagram too, and have somehow got art of the character in question, that I've never seen before? I'm worried that they've commissioned it from someone, or have convinced people that the character is theirs, as I'm not sure what to do in that situation.

And it's no worry - just the first time I've had to deal with it, and it's a little bit daunting for me.

WNvAhPU.png
10 Jul 2019, 5:42 am
Reverse image searching the images in question in engines like TinEye will show where else the images appear on the Internet, and will answer if and who they commissioned them from. If you're able to, I would contact the commissioned artists about it if you find them, just to let them know they are not trustworthy. If they continue to do this, an PSA on ArtistBeware may be needed.
Avatar created by Ender369 on Toyhouse!

A-
AURORA BOREALIS?
AT THIS TIME OF YEAR,
AT THIS TIME OF DAY,
IN THIS PART OF THE COUNTRY,
LOCALIZED ENTIRELY WITHIN YOUR KITCHEN?!
10 Jul 2019, 5:51 am
Bugdaze Thank you so much for your help! I'll be sure to do that!

WNvAhPU.png
10 Jul 2019, 6:29 am
This sucks hopefully you get this solved but you can do a PSA on sites you go on to warn others like what Bugdaze suggested pablo is very cute and a shame someone will go as far as to steal them.
capsule_467x181.jpg
10 Jul 2019, 6:45 am (Edited 10 Jul 2019, 6:46 am)
(bugdaze Sorry for the ping!! I thought you were OP for a second TwT)

I would take the time to watermark your images in some way as well. It makes it much less likely that someone would steal your characters in the future. I'm sorry this happened to you, especially during an event that is supposed to be fun.
HOmgBj0.gif
Icon by lilactea | Vista by Snickerdoodle
10 Jul 2019, 7:09 am
Alewolf Thank you, hope I can sort it!

Snickerdoodle I've started watermarking my work now, I'll have to be more careful in the future.

Update: The person (we'll call them person A) who 'stole' my character apparently received it from someone else, currently trying to prove that she's mine/find the person who gave it to person A.

WNvAhPU.png