Chess Assistance!

19 Jul 2019, 2:02 pm
I love chess (though I haven't seriously played in a few years), and was trawling through some sites that display and discuss famous games. I stumbled across a particular game called "The Wrath of Khan" (lol), a match between Mir Sultan Khan and Jose Raul Capablanca. You can watch the game here.

Now all sources say that Khan won (white), but to my eyes, Capablanca (black) had 3 possible moves just for his King (E7, F7, or F5) when the game ends. It may not have stopped his loss, but it would have extended the game. Would you classify this as a complete Win for Khan, or a Withdrawal by Capablanca since the game did not end in a solid Checkmate? Or am I just going crazy and missing something here? XD
I came. I saw. I...forgot what I was doing.

19 Jul 2019, 6:15 pm
Bump....
20 Jul 2019, 9:58 pm
Bump?
21 Jul 2019, 12:01 am (Edited 21 Jul 2019, 12:03 am)
WarriorMaiden Replace E7 with E5. (A King can't move into check, and that white Bishop is sitting there at B5.)

But ya, if I'm looking at it right, the Black King still had several moves he could have made. Definitely not Checkmate.
@SerenityStarla | #77726 | Starla
Please, ping me!

(Thank, you. ^-^)

8109839_UUcSGMlDmz6z2xU.png
5685030_wOX6AAOGbYqS2sk.png
21 Jul 2019, 9:36 am
SerenityStarla
E5 would put the king in Check from the White Bishop sitting next to the Black Queen. The White Bishop on B5 is a white square only bishop, and E7 is a black square. He'd be safe there. :)

So why on Earth does everyone say that Khan (White) won? A win is defined by either Checkmate or your opponent withdrawing from the game, and I can't find anything to indicate that Capablanca withdrew.
21 Jul 2019, 7:03 pm
Bump. Anybody else know why?
21 Jul 2019, 9:11 pm
WarriorMaiden Sorry, I'm my brain flipped images on me as I was going back and forth. DX You're right!

And I don't know either. To me, the end of a Chess match has always been a clear cut Checkmate or Somebody quits the game. I'm not exactly sure how that site works either, so not sure how to help out much beyond that...
@SerenityStarla | #77726 | Starla
Please, ping me!

(Thank, you. ^-^)

8109839_UUcSGMlDmz6z2xU.png
5685030_wOX6AAOGbYqS2sk.png