How to Art when Sick/Tired?

22 Jul 2019, 8:52 pm
Okay, so I've been trying to learn art my best for like almost 5 months now? I get headaches nearly every day and tend to get tired every day (usually in early evening, though can happen any time). I also get kinda severe allergies that seemed to have been dormant this past winter, but have been affecting me at least a little nearly every day for months- some days for only like 10 minutes when I wake up, some days literally all day cannot get the headfog out of me or stop my runny/extremely irritable nose. I do my best to try to manage these things on my own (resting, earplugs for noise, natural remedies when I can, napping when possible, etc.), but it's hard for me to get around to it when I feel like I just can't focus or put my 100% into it. Idk how a lot of users here can do it when some seem to have a lot going on personally. Maybe I'm just somewhat of wimp? I don't tolerate pain particularly well. I guess I'm just asking for tips on how to kinda push through the hurdles to get stuff done. I can't feel comfortable doing commissions if I can't get a handle on this. Not that this is a priority but I'd like to be able to these again at some point.

Please let me know about all insect/arachnid adoptables <3

22 Jul 2019, 9:00 pm
No your not a wimp! I cant help or give any advice for the allergies but you don’t need to do art 24/7, that would be unhealthy in your current state. You can do art at your own paste but I’d recommend you go to a hospital or a doctor for help with medication for your allergies
TNq3HFr_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f
22 Jul 2019, 9:19 pm
KaidaCresto I don't try pushing myself with this stuff. It just makes me sad when I notice a week or more has passed by at points, and I feel like I haven't gotten anything done. Honestly not sure if I want to go down the medication route for the allergies. Everyone tells me to take meds for it, but I'm usually very wary of medications that aren't 100% needed. I'm mostly concerned with side affects is I guess what I mean. I'm already on birth control for dealing with a specific issue I have concerning pain/possible fainting so that takes priority right now also because I don't need to have a kid right now when I'm trying to get my first job. I can't risk anything possibly affecting that. I really appreciate the concern and recommendation though. I'm just very cautious I guess to say? I've told doctors about being on the pill before and they still prescribed things that cancelled it out.

22 Jul 2019, 9:33 pm
I have really bad allergies too. I would recommend talk to a doctor about how long this issue has been going on and around the time of day that this occurs the most. Other than that I would try steaming your face with a hot towel if its swollen its best to do this when you first wake up, and drinking 3-4 average sized bottles of water to flush your body out ( It'll push pollen,dust and bacteria out). Add some honey to your tea and avoid anything that has a strong smell. I normally sit on the floor when my allergies are really bad because couches and chairs collect dust and avoid fluffy/fuzzy pillows or blankets.

Also allergy trackers can be helpful to check in the morning so you know what the weeks is going to be like. I use this one but there are others that track different allergy triggers.

https://weather.com/forecast/allergy/l/USIL1114:1:US

I use these almost daily and It works well for me but I'm also on a lot of allergy medications. These are some of the things my doctors recommended me to do and it works well.
tumblr_pxhuihRbEB1xlocndo1_1280.png
'My Somewhat Used Deviantart'

|19|Artist/ Hobbyist|Central Time|Outspoken online, quiet IRL|
22 Jul 2019, 9:37 pm
I am often too tired. Personally, when I am bummed I haven't done anything I like to start out with doodles at first then wait a day or two to define them, or just scrap them and retry. Maybe take a break from one thing for a few days and work on another thing? Currently, I am just looking at rag doll cats for reference for a warrior oc.
As far as the medical stuff, I have no clue other than maybe cleaning your area daily to try to eliminate those irritants.
Pronouns: your highness, your majesty and angry vern.
(Any pronouns really) y4fJV.gif lwpYl.gif y7suK.gif
22 Jul 2019, 9:50 pm
Irispaw I already really like tea with honey, so I'll try upping the amount of this. Also idk why I never considered the hot towel thing. I'll try that too. It does usually seem to fester while I sleep and attack me when I wake up. I also had no clue there was an allergy tracker, so thanks for informing me.

Joey-wyvern I have the issue of not wanting to pick up projects if I leave them alone for too long. I certainly get ideas I can sit on though. About the irritants thing, just about everything seems to bother my nose. Idk how much I can really do to remedy it. Like, cleaning really sets it off. I do what I can, but then I feel like I can barely function with the amount of sneezing that comes out of me.

22 Jul 2019, 10:04 pm
If cleaning yourself messes with your allergies, perhaps you can hire proffesionals? If you have a place to go while they clean and can afford to do so.
Pronouns: your highness, your majesty and angry vern.
(Any pronouns really) y4fJV.gif lwpYl.gif y7suK.gif
22 Jul 2019, 10:15 pm
Joey-wyvern I live in a sub-par apartment with my parents who can't afford all that. I'm trying to get a job currently so I can save up money to yeet out of this environment.

22 Jul 2019, 10:18 pm
Hi there! I hope this is okay to reply to, I was scrolling around out of boredom and saw this!

I recently started having chronic pain months ago and I might not know exactly what you're going through, but I can relate to some of it. It's hard enough getting started on and finishing things, and once I had that going on, it was almost impossible, and it's really hard to start missing out on the stuff I love like drawing and art. They're not perfect solutions, but I have found some ways to work around it when I can, hopefully this works for you.

- Take many breaks, like, as many as possible, for whatever reason. This is notoriously difficult for me because once I get into the zone, I don't like stopping, but it is important, especially when you're not well, and you will actually benefit from the extra rest you give yourself.

- If you tend to forget about things when you leave them alone too long or drift away from a certain project, leave yourself little personal reminders, and this can look like anything. Some people use post-it notes, I do stuff like leaving my tablet near where I'm sitting so I feel compelled to art.

- Reward yourself, whatever that might look like! It might seem very minimal, especially when you're doing something you yourself enjoy, but that figurative carrot on a stick will help out a lot with motivation and pushing through to get the work done. All things in moderation, of course, but anything works!

- Try and make goals that you can work towards, at whatever pace you think is best for you. You don't have to have a certain level of difficulty or a specific time frame, especially if you're feeling very unwell, it can be whatever you decide, like if you woke up one morning and told yourself "today I will draw a headshot" or "today i will do a partial sketch". It should all be according to what you're willing to do and what you're capable of doing. Don't feel like you have to challenge yourself!

Naturally these aren't solutions for everyone, and what works for me might not work for you, or vice versa, but I certainly hope these things help you out towards becoming a bit more productive! Always do your best, whatever that looks like at the time, and try not to feel so guilty if you can't get projects done at a certain point or within a certain time-frame. It's hard to do things when you're not at your best, and you're certainly not at fault for that!

Stay safe, and may healthier times be ahead for you, friend!
Storm // 20 // female (she/her) // Lovable (And Suffering) Artist
jJLSMXa.png
KfRvq5j.png
My icon and signature sprite were made by the lovely Briannakitty
Vista by Violetpool !
22 Jul 2019, 10:20 pm
I recommend Brookes Eggleston- Character forge on youtube. He has the best art tips I've come across and has many videos on motivation.

I think that humans aren't meant/designed for the difficult tasks we set ourselves up for, a lot of times... and really, everyone is wimpy in many aspects but we find ways around it, unique to our own mind. So if one's advice doesn't help you, well that would kinda make sense more than anything.

I think the only general advice I could give is to put health and basic needs before art, and not make it too stressful. All that bad stress has done for me is ruin my association with art. Some stress is normal obviously.

While drawing I do have severe dry eye and other uncomfortable things but I think I'm used to it by this point. But I have, many times. forced myself to draw to the point of anxiety and extreme irritation. There's no point on doing that, no matter how good I aspire to be.

I know this advice is probably not entirely satisfying. For me motivation comes in bursts, by chance, and if I happen to be feeling up to it (but it's always good to push to try). It's almost like a balancing act, but if you're sick and tired reasonably you should be easy on yourself, I think.
22 Jul 2019, 10:35 pm
I don't really know what I'm talking about but is it a possibility that your symptoms are caused by the medication you're currently taking? You should ask your doctor about it. Your symptoms sound pretty bad and I feel like you should reconsider the medication route for your allergies if it improves your quality of life. Other than that, maybe switching up your diet (a balanced one) could help with fatigue and headaches?

You are not in good health, the most important thing is getting your health as good as it can be and then you'll find other things much easier to deal with... Probably. I am just a random on the internet with no qualifications.
jhdUcrV.gif
__• FV for FR
__• HQ cute art commissions open
22 Jul 2019, 10:49 pm
stormbringer15 Thank you for your insight. I do take maybe a bit more generous of breaks than I should, so that's taken care of. As for reminders, I feel like I literally cannot forget about most things (especially the looming kind). I also don't often take on multiple projects at a time, or I have them in different areas so I know that for example, "In this specific site I need to do this and this only". My rewarding often comes in a lot. I like to eat and play video games a lot. The video games sometimes fall under the bubble of me being unable to play them because of aforementioned problems, but I split up the time fairly. For the goal thing, it can often get tempting to want to follow through on something all at once. I've mentioned in a previous post here that I don't like leaving things unfinished and find it hard to return to them. Not going to lie, I opened up commissions a bit ago and literally the day after my allergies made me pay bad. But weirdly enough those 4 or 5 odd hours committed to them made me feel a bit better. I don't know how that worked.... I wish the best for you too though.

Treefrog I'll look into that Youtuber. Thank you for the suggestion. I try not to push myself too too much with dealing with my stuff. I just want to get a better handle on it because it's something where it seems I have more "bad days" than good ones with this stuff. Realistically I'd never get anything done if I didn't try at some point.

Baelfin I've been on the medication for about a year now, and I've been dealing with headaches/tiredness like this for years. At least, say 6? The allergies like 4? The medication has increased my quality of life, so it's not really the issue in this case. I feel like my diet is constantly evolving because of how overly health conscious I tend to be and nothing has really produced a significant difference (I've tried balancing all the things and supplementing, and nothing seems to do anything). I've been to the doctors, and they haven't found anything wrong with me to really do anything other than very loosely suggest allergy meds. I'm aware of my health issues not being something I should live with. Part of it is my environment I know that for sure, but there's not much I can do currently. Trying to get a job to move out eventually.