art advice needed!

12 Aug 2019, 10:14 pm
Hi! I'm attempting to to paint a scene and I am having trouble with many things but the most help i need is fixing the wings of the dragon in it. How do i fix the lighting so they feel right? Ik the overall painting is too light rn.

TgR9XSr.jpg
0gV0AAD.gif

12 Aug 2019, 10:36 pm
For the wings I think the left on is fine, the right one is a bit off.
I went over your drawing & essentially reshaded it

I think you should add more shading to the back if the dragon, make the shadows more dramatic, and saturate the colors a bit. I’m not sure what you’re going for though so you make it however you want!
15945042_AYwujwXeuppSYnN.jpg
#60102 ba9d1ab819989a9e065e9abe05f04dc7.gif +0 FV Time
|| Halloween is approaching... ||
12 Aug 2019, 10:42 pm (Edited 12 Aug 2019, 10:42 pm)
RGDPersonallity

Thanks! Ya that one wing is a bit funky eh? I'll try out what you've given me. More saturation is a def!
0gV0AAD.gif
12 Aug 2019, 11:02 pm
So as far as the wings go, the way you drew them is kinda stylized, but I think what you're having trouble with is the structure. Dragons aren't real, so you can't really take a look at a photo of one to study it, but you can take a look at a bat wing or a pterosaur skeleton, whose wings are just heavily modified arms.

Mostly your dragon's wings seem to be lacking an elbow.
Buy some art! || Buy some bugs!
13 Aug 2019, 12:23 am
I think they feel fine, however, there's a lack of joints. You might be thinking with how the wings are outstretched, they wouldn't need joints. However, this is assuming the dragon is flapping its wing, and not gliding. There would be a slight bend down the middle, and possibly some more defined shoulder haunches to give you the basic idea. There should also be a slight bend at say the length of the arm. There would be an imaginary wrist there with an imaginary dew claw. Because of the pose the dragon, this would be implying there are bends where the wings stretch, sort of what Tspuun said about the elbow thing.
For the shading, I believe there would be harsh contrast where the shadows of the wings cast over part of the body. Not over the back, since they're outstretched.

Something that you didn't ask for: I get that this is a zoom out, but I think that back leg looks a little off.
It seems to just be an amputated nub, rather than a full leg. I get if this was just to save time, but I think there should be a more appropriate cutoff, as opposed to a nub.

The way the lighting looks right now seems decent though, and the placement seems about right.
Pterasune:
http://www.furvilla.com/forums/thread/108219-pterasune?page=1

Lochness Fox:
http://www.furvilla.com/forums/thread/108979-lochness-fox-another-open-species

h is a letter
13 Aug 2019, 12:56 am (Edited 13 Aug 2019, 1:02 am)
Chiming in with the exact same wing advice! Looking at bat wings is definitely a good idea. Because you're only seeing the top side of a leathery dragon wing in your picture, it makes sense that a lot of the details of the arm and fingers aren't going to be there in the final piece. And the sharp angle of the elbow is going to end up hidden a bit by the webbing between the hand and the shoulder, But it's still a great idea to map out where the shoulder, elbow, and hand are for a more natural looking wing :)

7ca134227b2a03fa29675aa85d03aa10683378d1

(I don't think 'thumb' is the correct term, and also this sketch is still a bit lazy with the anatomy!)
The first finger is actually the shortest, and the second finger is extremely long:

2912_web.jpg

It's also a good idea to decide what the wings on your dragon are actually doing! If they are on the upward stroke, they would extend forward like outstretched hands, and front tips might be further forward than the dragon's head

82b914f151f2043b35a94fc073e6f14e68edaff1

If they're on the downward stroke, (I really struggled with this one!) the elbows would be bent more and probably the entire of the wings would be further back than the dragon's head and neck.

5a819859bf842864176554a4c9e13e2cfb969daf

It the dragon is coasting, just riding the wind, then the wingspan would be as wide as it can be, catching as much updraft as it can

d381acc6d8c5b4b459f1e26113b053e4098d2214

Er, good luck anyway, wings are hard. Fun, but hard! Your background looks great, and I'm a big fan of the warm tones for the dragon with the green/cool toned backdrop!
y3f3zJm.png
13 Aug 2019, 1:20 am
This doesn't have as much detail as I usually like, but I tend to be incredibly anal about my research... XD Hope this helps! :)

I came. I saw. I...forgot what I was doing.
13 Aug 2019, 1:02 pm
Thanks for all the help you guys! I totally see what the problem is now, I'll try to post an updated version here later on
0gV0AAD.gif
14 Aug 2019, 6:50 pm
8kHJtga.jpg

I've started to shade the wings properly but of course i messed up and erased the leg even more. Now it's it's a bigger stump XD
0gV0AAD.gif