Has this happen to you before? (art talk)

27 Aug 2019, 5:06 pm (Edited 27 Aug 2019, 5:29 pm)
I feel so defeated right now. I'm soo annoyed but funny at same time. I been working on this paintie sense 12:00PM (my time) it is now 6:00PM and my ART PROGRAM CRASHED I was just about to save this. so proud of this. I worked so hard on this and wanted to use it. but now I need to start all over. I forgot to save it with in a few times to not loose it all I was so into getting this done. all i got of it is this unfinished screen shot when I showed a friend it who also plays this.

MYVYNyg.png

I won't start this again taking a break before I try making this again.

hA71FCAE3
pet_16285238_shop_2.png Please click my pet

dwTP4Bj.png swkZXjI.png

27 Aug 2019, 5:09 pm
It happens, a lot.
Make the habit of saving your progress as you work, once every ten minutes or whatever you like best.
I have the impulse of cntrl+s very ofteen to prevent that.
27 Aug 2019, 5:15 pm
Alekzy I'll have to remind myself to save next time. I will remake this gembound but not right now. gonna relax a bit.

dwTP4Bj.png swkZXjI.png
27 Aug 2019, 5:20 pm
agh that's happened to me!!
I was taking forever on this thin-lined piece- Of my OS. It was coming along amazing! And then then then then then I lost it because my laptop crashed :')

It's happened before, too. I recently lost a whole buncha BJ sketches to a crash. Sometimes it autosaves and a little bit is undone, but I'm grateful for it.
16453083_5a1C2gWI2Vvc2Hn.png
PxpMLT5.pngW4yikiX.png
27 Aug 2019, 5:22 pm (Edited 27 Aug 2019, 5:23 pm)
That sucks. It hasn't happened to me in years, honestly. When I started using digital programs and things crashed and I lost work, I made it a habit to command+s every two seconds. It's like breathing to me now. Every few seconds when I draw, command+s, command+s... but sometimes I accidentally do command+z with it XD so I save and then undo my last action.

Sorry you lost all your progress on that. It looked so good. </3
✰Roy/Parker✰20✰he/they
@ 40847 for ping
⇩⇩⇩ click Parker for my YCH commission thread! ⇩⇩⇩

17850228_3lZCQIaXtsJFZP9.png
socials
27 Aug 2019, 5:23 pm (Edited 27 Aug 2019, 5:32 pm)
Connor_Murphy I use GIMP and it don't seem to save progress when it crashes. but glad I got this un finished screen shot. I can use this to help e remake it over again. I really like how this came out so I want to remake this.

papaemeritus I've been practicing how to color in greyscales. not to long ago I finally solved how to color them. but this one I liked so much I planned to use on a villager. All my other ones I didn't like enough to use.

dwTP4Bj.png swkZXjI.png
27 Aug 2019, 5:25 pm
are you sure there's no autosave function? i know with firealpaca the program autosaves every so often so you get your art even if you forget to save, albeit an earlier version. i don't know much about gimp

dnTY5ZY.png
27 Aug 2019, 5:25 pm
candymeltzz I looked and I'm not seeing anything.

dwTP4Bj.png swkZXjI.png
27 Aug 2019, 5:26 pm
Alewolf
Shit fucking SUCKS!! I vaguely remember it happening to me before but not that clearly so luckily it must have been something minor that I lost, I know a few friends of mine who lost something bigger though which kills the man

I made it a habit to save every time I sit back to take a look at what I currently have, a quick ctrl+s has basically become something I do automatically now
27 Aug 2019, 5:30 pm
I've never had an art program crash on me, but last week I had to completely reset my whole computer. All of my files, gone. Luckily I didn't have anything really important on it, the most important things on it to me were my wips and stuff, but there was one that I had been working on for hours and that I put a lot of effort and detail into. I still have a png of a wip of it saved to my phone, but I had an important effect layer turned off and it had to be in between layers, so there's no way I can get the effects back. Maybe I'll try to do those effects some other way, but I just don't feel like starting ALL of those lost wips over again from the start.

As for your paintie, that must be incredibly frustrating to lose all that progress on it.
>This really be a bruh moment<
Call me Alpha | 18 | she/her | +1 FV time |ping #120762
GTjR.gif
27 Aug 2019, 5:31 pm
yeah, I have had a few crashes but fire alpaca seems to save just a few moments before each crash. regardless i started saving after each major adjustment.
you definitely should take a break. before restarting. it is a shame because it looked rather cool
Pronouns: your highness, your majesty and angry vern.
(Any pronouns really) gcI2R.gif M7o9W.gif 8zIqT.gif 2r6oP.gif
27 Aug 2019, 5:31 pm
It is hard not to feel a little defeated when a program does that to you. Some programs have an auto_save feature which might freeze the program up for three or four seconds but is very worth setting to every five minutes. Just don't let this linger in your mind. Accidents happen. Beverages get spilled. Pour yourself another one 'cause you totally were nailing that!

-- Zee/Zeer Mug -- Hobby level artist --
-- Please Ping When Reponding --
CorgiAni.gif
27 Aug 2019, 6:05 pm
I might start it again. Bored doing nothing now XD and with ctrl S I feel safer, didn't know that was a thing.

dwTP4Bj.png swkZXjI.png
28 Aug 2019, 8:23 am (Edited 28 Aug 2019, 8:30 am)
Joey-wyvern SuspiciousCoffeeMug Cliquebait Uendo papaemeritus Connor_Murphy
Alekzy

It is done. so glad I was able to re capture his original look I lost due to the crash. I saved this every few seconds, took me all night (with rest of course and finished it this morning) now to save up for a angelic consume and buy myself a gembound,

oDxQVQb.png

I've been aiming for a fire warrior theme, and I feel the red, orange, yellow mix look decent and the black fur

dwTP4Bj.png swkZXjI.png
28 Aug 2019, 8:35 am
It came out so nice! And happens all the time :( really drives you bonkers after the first 2 crashes lol
Click me!
5VD6AnJ.png
28 Aug 2019, 8:48 am (Edited 28 Aug 2019, 8:49 am)
Allana_Heart Thank you, I'm glad I'm getting better, this is my first time not using MSpaint. a week ago I solved how to color in greyscales and just been practicing. I'm not a professional artists so bases like this was hard to use.

dwTP4Bj.png swkZXjI.png
28 Aug 2019, 8:52 am
Looks great! ^^
16453083_5a1C2gWI2Vvc2Hn.png
PxpMLT5.pngW4yikiX.png
28 Aug 2019, 8:59 am
Looks pretty cool! Congratz
Also, you finished quicker than expected, great job >:3
28 Aug 2019, 9:05 am
Alekzy tbh I thought this would take hours but I think thanks to the screen shot I had all the colors already and knew how it would look I just had to remake it.and reach in the smaller parts that's hard to color in. if I didn't have this screen shot I'd have to find all the colors again to use.

dwTP4Bj.png swkZXjI.png
28 Aug 2019, 9:51 am
Nice that you were able to redo it so quickly. A guardian angel with Phoenix wings
Pronouns: your highness, your majesty and angry vern.
(Any pronouns really) gcI2R.gif M7o9W.gif 8zIqT.gif 2r6oP.gif
28 Aug 2019, 11:21 am
Alewolf
It looks really good! I'm glad you found the motivation again to work on it!
28 Aug 2019, 11:27 am (Edited 28 Aug 2019, 11:28 am)
I used to have an art professor who would, at random, flick a switch and turn off the whole computer lab... So, if you didn't save your work, you'd be outta luck. :s Was one of the first things I learned, 'specially with working with digital art: save often! Train that pinky and other left digits to ctrl+s or command+s every now and then or make it a mental note to 'stretch and save' if you've been workin' on something for a while.

I'm glad you were able to recover though! Looks really awesome~ :D
dTldP4E.gif
greyer | 140470 | she/her | -2 FV time | trade FC/FD/art for art??
DeviantArt | ko-fi | teepublic | Swifter Fox @ instagram
feel free to ping me!
28 Aug 2019, 3:43 pm
That's great! Usually the second time around goes quicker. It's especially awesome you could recover your colors from the snap shot!

On a side note I wonder if you could find an auto-save plug-in for gimp. If I remember right gimp has open python compatibility. I generally only use it for cleaning up my scans of traditional work or minor effects so I haven't looked before.

-- Zee/Zeer Mug -- Hobby level artist --
-- Please Ping When Reponding --
CorgiAni.gif
28 Aug 2019, 3:55 pm
Happened to me last month! I sketched out a character, lined it, was about to start coloring it...
and the power went out.

Sitting there in the darkness I realized I hadn't even saved the sketch.

-head desk-
28 Aug 2019, 4:06 pm
Oh gosh I know the pain! I've lost entire commission pieces and a few short animations to crashes. Now I paranoid save every few minutes XD

Your paintie looks super lovely by the way! Glad you remade it and didn't give up. :D
~͈ͅ-͏̪̖̰ͅ~̷̤-̻͕͔̗̳͢-͎̥͝~͢-̧~͎̻́jack__2__by_frozensparrows-dar0qt0.gif~̼͚̖̰͓̮͍͢-͙̣̞͈̘̫̥́~̭̼̤̦͍̟̜͠-҉̫̲̼̼͇̠͈-͖̰͈̟~-͏̘̹͍
Watch this Gif with any music and it makes that song 9001 times better
ticket_by_sparrowwrightheart-dbrget8.png