What drawing tablet to get?

3 Nov 2019, 10:07 am
Hiiii

My current drawing tablet is a Genius tablet and has served me very well! It's just getting a bit old. It doesn't link to my new laptop properly and could use a general upgrade.

I'd like to get a new one for my birthday (in about 2 weeks?). Problem is, I don't know where to start. I don't know good brands or what features I should look for or anything !!

I also don't know my budget. Probably under $900 ^^;; This is a big purchase so my parents/grandparents are probably going to pitch in, but I'm not looking for a $1,000++ professional tablet. Just something for a relatively experienced artist - not a beginner, but not a professional animator for Disney, y'know?

I need something that:

- Either doesn't use a disc to download drivers, or has drivers available online (that's the issue with my current tablet)

- Hopefully around the range of 12 x 10.5 inches; that's the size of my current one and I'd like a new one to be similar.

I don't need anything like an iPad or one of those tablets where you draw directly on the screen.
I use my tablet for digital commissions - mostly sketches but I'd like to improve my line work, so if there's any tablets that help smooth lineart that might be cool? I use GIMP and FireAlpaca to draw.

If I need to provide other info/specifics I can ! Any and all help is appreciated. I don't know very much about what tablets are best for which things so, figured it'd be best to reach out!

Thanks. <3

-Hancets
Let us not grow weary of doing good.
tumblr_nuy1i6uLGo1uoohs3o1_400.gif

3 Nov 2019, 10:12 am (Edited 3 Nov 2019, 10:16 am)
Well, a professional could do stunning art with a 20$ old-damaged tablet, and they actually do xD
There are plenty of options in the range of 50-150$ with Huion and XP-Pen if you are not looking for a screen tablet or portable screen tablet (Wacom have competition now and it's great).

Edit: Also, I would tottally recommend you to invest in software (if you can afford it), is not just the tablet. Get Paint Tool Sai 2 or Clip Studio Paint (no need to get the super-professional version). Those software have a plethora of tools that will help you go better.
3 Nov 2019, 10:18 am
Alekzy said:
Well, a professional could do stunning art with a 20$ old-damaged tablet, and they actually do xD
There are plenty of options in the range of 50-150$ with Huion and XP-Pen if you are not looking for a screen tablet or portable screen tablet (Wacom have competition now and it's great).

Edit: Also, I would tottally recommend you to invest in software (if you can afford it), is not just the tablet. Get Paint Tool Sai 2 or Clip Studio Paint (no need to get the super-professional version). Those software have a plethora of tools that will help you go better.

That's a good point! My main goal is to get a tablet I can use properly. Not having pressure sensitivity is really annoying when it comes to drawing.

Thank you for the suggestion! I'll definitely look into those.

Getting better software is a really good idea too.. I've always used free stuff but maybe investing in better software would help.
Let us not grow weary of doing good.
tumblr_nuy1i6uLGo1uoohs3o1_400.gif
3 Nov 2019, 10:25 am
Erm...Ive always used my wacom bamboo tablet. Its done well over the years. I lost the pen to it a while back but its been compatible with a olddd pen that once belonged to my first tablet. It was 75 dollars when I bought it

I use paint tool sai and krita
Happy birthday and i hope you find.a good tablet thats right for you ^_^
tumblr_pegbvl3RQt1vlw6imo1_250.png
Hello yes. I am Dizzie.
I live in a coffee pot.
I like cartoons.