First suit questions (Updated 2/21!)

17 Dec 2019, 9:37 pm (Edited 1 Jun 2020, 12:22 pm)
I'm back at it again!

~I don't have a job, but I do sometimes sell LPS customs/art to my classmates,
~I'm a young fur at 14
~There's an unused foam sleeping pad in the garage for campouts- some scratches, but nothing ruined really, and I have a foam sleeping pad without ridges as well
~I've made a bad "fursuit head" out of cardboard. Ears looked good. On one side. Kinda?
~My parents don't have a single clue about any of this.

So my questions:
1) Should I really start with foam first?
2) Any ideas for a side hustle to make some money?
3) Should I tell my parents? They probably won't support.
4) How much would it cost to make a head alone- supplies like proper scissors, sewing pins, ect included?

17 Dec 2019, 9:54 pm
the only way you can get fursuit head materials is from buying them, either online or at a craft store. if you cant do either, then you...cant really make a head. you could also try reusing materials from other things like foam from a different project but that will be way more difficult to acquire

they do look complex, so it might be easier to start with a very simple design until you know what youre doing

the main reason why being young would stop you from making a head is just because you cant get money to order materials. its not like you have to be a certain age to make crafts
16255870_b8pzkrPG5GgvqRc.png
feel free to ping me for horse or werewolf adopts!
17 Dec 2019, 9:56 pm
atilla I'm hoping to be able to babysit/walk dogs or something around my neighborhood to earn at least $100 (USD) to make a head
17 Dec 2019, 10:05 pm
That character looks rad! I think the most complex part design-wise would be either airbrushing or sewing in the different colored patches. I'm not an expert so take what I say with a grain of salt, but here are my thoughts:

1)
A. First and foremost, I do think it's good you're looking to earn your own money to put towards this project. However, keep in mind that you'll need a lot of tools and materials, and that can really add up. It'd be a good idea to ask for parental assistance on getting you the materials you need, in addition to what you're putting towards the project of your own earnings, if that's a possibility. This would mean letting them in on the whole "I'm a furry" thing, but I'm sure if they know this is a project you're passionate about, they'll lend you a hand.

B. I'd recommend getting your furs/materials from well-known websites dedicated to these sorts of projects. I've heard good things about Howl Fabrics and Fursuit Supplies, though there are tons of other options out there, too. It's a good idea to get some swatches of colors you're thinking of using first, so you can tell if they match your idea of how you want your fursuit head to look. Also, make sure that wherever you get your furs from list what the material is made out of. This will be important for maintenance and cleaning.

2)
I can't tell if there are any super complex details since the image is a bit blurry, but I don't think your fursona would be a bad one to start with at all. If anything, that'll keep you motivated to continue working on it, because it's a character you're passionate about. The hardest parts, in my opinion, would be the markings and horns. I'd highly recommend referring to a few tutorials from YouTube (I'm happy to look for some if you'd like) for those pieces.

3)
I do think it's a little harder to do when you're younger, mainly for financial reasons, but not impossible by any means. If you can get your hands on the materials and tools that you need, and can keep your drive up long enough to see it through, I'd say it's definitely worth starting early if it's something you're interested in doing.

And of course, it's probably not going to be perfect on your first try. But the sooner you start, the sooner you get that practice and can start planning on applying your experiences to any you make in the future. If you have the time, energy, and resources, I think it'll be well worth it.
To help Alekzy in a time of need!
~~~~~><~~~~~
touch_the_fishy_resized_by_lstheninjakit
1hr behind FV time
17 Dec 2019, 10:06 pm
fursuit heads can be a bit expensive to make since you have to buy foam (or you can buy a premade foam base but thats like at least $100), fur, fabric, and other materials and tools, but earning your own money is a good first step. just be careful who you talk to and make sure to tell your parents what youre doing (like the job part not the fursuit part)
16255870_b8pzkrPG5GgvqRc.png
feel free to ping me for horse or werewolf adopts!
17 Dec 2019, 10:17 pm
For the head you also have to take growth spurts into consideration, still props to you for giving this kinda thing a go!!
GMT+ 10 / 9 Hours ahead of FV time!!
Gk9yOoI.gif
They/Them - 19 - Local bastard
17 Dec 2019, 10:18 pm
For the head you also have to take growth spurts into consideration, still props to you for giving this kinda thing a go!!

I am like.. almost 5'9 at 13, I THINK I'm past my growth spurts lol
17 Dec 2019, 10:36 pm
this is exiting! as for the design, it is pretty complex- i ran into that problem when i was making mine haha
when i bought the materials for mine i was pretty small and my parents hate furries XDD so i passed it off as a Halloween costume XD anywhoo- they sold foam by the yard for 10 bucks at Walmart- idk wherre you live and if it's the same but you could look there!

as for the design- i could help you maybe simplify it for a small price if you'd like!
if not that's fine too! :'3
skies_banner.png
~adopts~ ~Toyhouse~ ~art shop~
i'm a massive dork!!!
amazing icon by TheBoxDweller
17 Dec 2019, 10:44 pm
Enchanted_skies
Yee, I'm not willing to simplify their design, it's just... too meaningful, I guess? and I live in California.
17 Dec 2019, 11:27 pm
Yes I totally understand haha -
To make it easier this after furring the main colors to the head you could add the smaller designs (stars/scars) on with felt and a hot glue gun
skies_banner.png
~adopts~ ~Toyhouse~ ~art shop~
i'm a massive dork!!!
amazing icon by TheBoxDweller
17 Dec 2019, 11:28 pm
Yes I totally understand haha -
To make it easier this after furring the main colors to the head you could add the smaller designs (stars/scars) on with felt and a hot glue gun

Good idea! I'll probably end up doing that as I am lazy XD
2 Jan 2020, 10:25 pm
Bump!
7 Jan 2020, 10:03 am
Well when I first made a suit a ran into a bit of a problem with the head. so I suggest following some tutorials on YouTube and such. They can up being a big help

I suggest:
Mugiwara cosplay and Tiny badger
Lavender Jay
7 Jan 2020, 10:15 am
Not a fur suit but as an in-between, you could try make a paper mache mask like this https://images.app.goo.gl/Z62kyiP7C2uvUFWL6

until you build up funds for a proper head
jhdUcrV.gif
__• FV for FR
__• art shop
7 Jan 2020, 8:11 pm
Baelfin I was considering that too! question though, do you like... put the paper mache on your face? I feel like it would stick to your face and a dummy
7 Jan 2020, 10:54 pm (Edited 7 Jan 2020, 10:55 pm)
Morphie I looked at a couple places. one version used a balloon as base but that one, wasn't the most pretty outcome, you could add more structures on the balloon before paper mache though.

The other did put it on a face but you'd need a buddy and a good layer of vaseline on your skin before adding the paper

on the face

on a balloon + tips on how to make the glue and paper strips in the description

oh! and once it's done you can sand down the surface for a smooth finish

There are tonnes of paper mâché tutorials out there on the net so if you want to go down that route, it'd be a good idea to do some research and pick up various tips from lots of different sources
jhdUcrV.gif
__• FV for FR
__• art shop
7 Jan 2020, 10:56 pm
Morphie I looked at a couple places. one version used a balloon as base but that one, wasn't the most pretty outcome, you could add more structures on the balloon before paper mache though.

The other did put it on a face but you'd need a buddy and a good layer of vaseline on your skin before adding the paper

on the face

on a balloon + tips on how to make the glue and paper strips in the description

oh! and once it's done you can sand down the surface for a smooth finish

There are tonnes of paper mâché tutorials out there on the net so if you want to go down that route, it'd be a good idea to do some research and pick up various tips from lots of different sources

Ooo, nice! Just an FYI, Youtube is blocked on my chromebook so I can't access the second link.
As for the first, my two bffs have REALLY different face shapes from me. Mine is an oval, Rukka's is a circle, and Cap's is a shorter oval.
7 Jan 2020, 11:17 pm (Edited 7 Jan 2020, 11:17 pm)
Morphie ah that's a shame, the youtube one was pretty helpful, Here's another one that uses a slightly different technique, it uses clay as a base and a plaster+glue mix instead of flour and water
https://www.instructables.com/id/Creating-Any-Shape-Papier-Mch-Mask/
jhdUcrV.gif
__• FV for FR
__• art shop
12 Feb 2020, 1:13 am
Bump, edited post
12 Feb 2020, 5:28 pm
Buuuuuump
12 Feb 2020, 5:32 pm
I know from experience this is gonna be hard.
1. Yes,
2. Idk
3. I wouldn’t tell.........
4. It’s pretty expensive to do one of these, so expect a lot
Hey nice to meet you! I’m Hawk, I don’t bite.
21 Feb 2020, 5:24 pm
Birthday bump!
21 Feb 2020, 5:36 pm
Just an idea, not as a fursuit maker but as just a random idea. For the eyes, it’d be hard to make a ball move around in a head, so maybe just do cross-eyed or follow-me eyes?
No need to ping on my own threads, I’m subscribed!
Help Alekzy get a fridge or food D:
nytemare08.gif
17 Mar 2020, 6:47 pm
Lab I might end up having it be like follow-me eyes but instead of a flat eye-thing it's a popped up little half-sphere, if that makes sense?