Re-vamped Doctor career: How about buffs?

20 May 2020, 1:22 pm (Edited 21 May 2020, 7:31 am)
Keeping this uncharacteristically short (for me), here's a quick summary of my thoughts on this:

Since no one wants any kind of illnesses or afflictions to be re-instituted, my fervent hope is that the new Doctor career "medicines" will be strictly for positive buffs.

A conceptual shift from "Doctor" (with a focus on treating diseases) to "Apothecary" (crafting potions for various uses) could really help here.

There are a lot of ways that these could be "tonics" that increase performance in every conceivable area, including Warrior stats, crafting speeds and even Explorer and Warrior turns.

One of the most disliked mechanics in any game is the "disease" one, which basically nerfs the player's abilities and then forces them to buy a "cure" to get back to normal.

Taking away a normal function and then extorting the player to pay to get it back is an all-too-common (and not very creative or player-friendly) game design ploy.

It's much effective (and appealing to players) to offer upgrades over normal functioning than to keep arbitrarily downgrading it so that the player has to keep taking action to get it back.

So, in the re-vamp, I hope that the focus is strictly on adding value via Doctor (Apothecary) medicines (tonics) — not counteracting the needless "nerf" of diseases, afflictions, etc. which we were all heartily glad to see removed from the game.

The old Doctor career basically involved selling medicines (usually for exhorbitant prices) to other players to cure the "nerfs" of diseases and afflictions.

That's not a very happy way to make a living.

My hope is that the new owners will continue their trend of making FurVilla better and more player-friendly — including making the Doctor (which could well be re-named to "Apothecary") career a positive one.

This career can be one of adding fun and increased benefits for one's fellow players — not simply extorting them via selling "medicines" that shouldn't be needed in the first place.

Thank you for considering!
There's no need to ping me on my own threads – I’m subscribed!

20 May 2020, 7:09 pm
The tonic brewing or Apothecary idea looks sorta like a second alchemist which feels repetitive
Sure, the doctors mechanic is still similar to alchemist but their final product is made in a different way

The good news is that the career wasn't completely forgotten and maybe they will interact more with other careers instead of "collects plants or reagents ==> new medicine"
Which reminds me there was some word about revamping minipets too, not just the rarity ratio for AH but maybe consume them
No signature here
20 May 2020, 9:17 pm (Edited 20 May 2020, 9:19 pm)
The tonic brewing or Apothecary idea looks sorta like a second alchemist which feels repetitive
Sure, the doctors mechanic is still similar to alchemist but their final product is made in a different way

Thank you for your thoughts!

I certainly wasn't suggesting that the new career's products be made in the same way as any other career, so there's no need for the form or methods to be "repetitive" in any way.

I was only suggesting that an emphasis on compounding (brewing, concocting, conjuring — pick the verb you like best) items that create benefits would be a nice improvement to the whole philosophy and dynamic.

There could be pills, powders, salves and liquids, such as

• An "energy drink" to temporarily increase agility and speed

• A "protein powder" to temporarily increase strength

• A "fertility potion" for minipets that makes them throw two offspring instead of one (one time).

These are just off the top of my head to get the ball rolling in some creative directions.

The main point is: Let's have the new career create value-adding items rather than nerf-countering items.

I hope that clarifies my intentions. Thanks again for your thoughts!
There's no need to ping me on my own threads – I’m subscribed!