Tips on how to start creating your own fursuits?

20 May 2020, 6:25 pm
I've never created a fursuit myself, and I'd like to. Does anyone have any tips on how to get started on a budget, especially with the quarantine going on? It would be appreciated
| +1 FV time | They/them | Panro. Ace | trying to get rid of items! click here for more info! | give internets | i'm also on Scratch | ShatteredSwords.png

20 May 2020, 6:31 pm
Study dimensions. Work on 3d mediums (such as sculpting), and once you feel comfortable with your skill level, start researching fursuit construction, find your favourite method, and try it out for yourself.
Paintie commissions
Art Commissions
Please @ me to get my attention!
20 May 2020, 6:46 pm
I spent a month researching before I even started. If your using a commonly seen species than you can look up some tutorials for it. I personally was doing an original species for both of my heads (I haven’t started my second head yet) the one I have a finished base for I used poly foam and hot glue from hobby lobby (Michaels works too). The only thing I would change is the type of hot glue I used. If you want to go cheap get the store brand stuff. If you want something durable use gorilla hot glue. I used the cheap glue so I’m crossing my fingers that the big floppy ears don’t come detached later on. For cheaper fur you can actually find decorative rugs and pillows made from faux fur which is way cheaper than getting it online.
I hope this helps you out a bit.
Buckram from my knowledge can only be found online and the cheapest I’ve found is 15$
Lucky Midas Koi
http://www.furvilla.com/forums/thread/109014-eteriasaibo-welcome-to-our-world
http://www.furvilla.com/forums/thread/113453-nwws-art?page=1#2526285
I like Narwhals
10 Jul 2020, 7:05 am
I've just made my first partial so take what I say with a grain of salt, after all, I am a noob.
This is more of a negative outlook but be prepared for it to turn out different than you see it in your mind There's an old saying how your brain is more advanced than your hands.

But yes- study, study, study. Watch every tutorial you can find even if it's not for the species you want, and learn about all the different techniques used. Even if you don't plan on using them, there may be tricks you can use. Practice building the shapes you want for the head, the paws or the tail in clay.
It also helped me to draw a diagram of the head over a free illustration of a human head, then make it bigger in medibang to my own head size. Transferring those shapes to paper and using them as guidelines of how to cut the foam really helped.

Also, this may be a bit controversial, but there are always cheaper alternatives within reason. You could use buckram, or, you can try to find stuff like curtain samples, like I used, some of which also have pretty good visibility. Try to find what you want in smaller, more dedicated websites rather than big websites like you-know-who-bay and you-know-who-zon (sorry, dunno if i can actually say their names in fv...?)
Look for foam that is thicker than you think you might need, so you can cut the foam sheet in half and get double the foam. Basically, try to think outside the box.
One thing I highly reccomend you invest in is an electric knife, though. It was practically *impossible* cutting my 4cm foam without it. I managed to find one for around 7 euro at an acquaintance's store. But of course, be careful, you're practically weilding a mini chainsaw.

What more... Oh, this comes more from a sewing background- avoid buying fur online, without getting a feel for the texture. A lot of shops sell samples for quite cheap and even though it will leave a kind of acid taste in your mouth about spending money for a itsy bitty square of fabric, it's better than buying 2 meters of fabric that's completely the opposite of what you wanted.

Oh, and when shopping online, put the things in your cart one week before you actually intend to buy them. Chances are they'll offer you a discount. Speaking of those, remember to search the internet for any codes for the store.
I'm Dragon/Croc, They/Them, xe/xem, it/its! SAvatar by me Signature... Is a crocodile.
AroAce, my avatar is my fursona. It's a crocmodo dragon!
Trying to return to furvilla after a long time away. Currently a bit beffudled!
And remember kids! Remember to make your paintie transparent before you send them over! Don't be like me, a buffoon!✓
w8smgyh26ch21.png