Preferred Image Host?

21 Nov 2020, 12:35 pm (Edited 21 Nov 2020, 12:37 pm)
I've been using Imgbox for a long time and never had a problem with it. Until today. I clicked on one of my album links while I was on my phone. On my computer, my ad blockers and browser shields keep the site looking fine. On mobile, the obscene, probably-malware-download ads take up more space than my art, and they load first. It's a bit off-putting, and it's not something I want to subject my viewers to. Imgbox works well enough for [img]url.png[/img], but if I drop an album link, the gross ads take over and I can't imagine anyone wanting to stick around and continue browsing. (And, no, I don't look up that kind of stuff. Never was interested in those kinds of things. I think everyone gets the same awful ads, or they are generated for images that the AI reads as "artwork" or whatever. I dunno.)

So.. what I'm looking for is something that allows direct [img]url.png[/img] posting, without harsh bandwidth limits. I want something that will either allow me to pay for an ad-free experience for my viewers, or, if there must be ads, that they at least be small, and pre-screened to be SFW. I'd like to be able to create albums, write descriptions, and toggle comments. I'd also like if there was a way to obscure my account info; for example, if I post an [url[img]url.png[/img][/url] link so that people can Full View, Imgbox creates the URL as a short, simple code, and it doesn't list my account name, or any way to climb back up into the parent folder. Some albums are fine to browse, and some, I'd rather be un-browsable, like commission WIPs. The host needs to not be draconian about censorship; I draw a lot of T-M stuff including alcohol, drugs, violence, and dark-ish humor. And most importantly, the host needs to be able to handle large, high resolution files without compressing them.

These are the ones I've been considering.

Imgur - People seem to like it. It doesn't load correctly on my phone, though, so I've never bothered.

Tinypic - Again, it's used often enough that I imagine any ads would be SFW, but I've always avoided it. Too often, I see Tinypic placeholders for things, and I'm never sure if it was because the content owner deleted their pictures, or if Tinypic decided that they had exceeded their bandwidth usage for the month.

Discord - Most likely leaning towards this option. I just hate clutter, and I hate having to scroll to find what I'm looking for. I would want to delete everything all the time.

I really don't like google at all, and I do not want to use them. I wouldn't be surprised to discover that they somehow already own every image host, but I don't want my google account being tied to anything more than necessary.

I am Subscribed. Please do not Ping me in this Thread.

21 Nov 2020, 12:42 pm
I tend to use discord or imgur. Discord for fourm posts but imgur for DMs or anon stuff since discord's IDs tend to be too long for those.
Cafei is a character- just call me Icee!
ezgif.com-resize.gif
22 Nov 2020, 1:39 am
I mostly use Imgur, I've never had any issues with it before.

Discord usually works well enough, except for the fact that the links are so insanely long.

Imgbb is another site that I've used before (though not very often.) I didn't have an issues while using it, but I'm not sure if it allowed for albums, descriptions, etc. because I haven't used it much. Might be something you can look into though!
x
x
x
harbortaffy_crown.gif
x
x
x
Hi, I'm Nicky! (he/him)
Please always ping me
Icon credit: LEZIFIED
22 Nov 2020, 2:16 am (Edited 22 Nov 2020, 2:19 am)
don't use tinypic... it redirects images to the site itself when you try and open in a new tab, deletes images automatically, and has pretty small size limits.

it's owned by photobucket which really should tell you a lot given what happened to photobucket (in 2017 they abruptly stopped third party hosting unless you paid $400 ... a year later they decided to allow it again but now everything is automatically watermarked unless you pay)

i personally use imgur -- i use the mobile app when i'm on my phone. just... avoid the social media aspect of it entirely.

discord is great for convenience (eg I send something in a server to my friends and later want to post it on the forums), but not long-term as I believe if too many people view an image, it'll end up with an xml error.
post your wishlist
jess #7302 | she/her | links
22 Nov 2020, 2:31 am
don't use tinypic... it redirects images to the site itself when you try and open in a new tab, deletes images automatically, and has pretty small size limits.

it's owned by photobucket which really should tell you a lot given what happened to photobucket (in 2017 they abruptly stopped third party hosting unless you paid $400 ... a year later they decided to allow it again but now everything is automatically watermarked unless you pay)

Ah, that would 100% explain the "stay away, stay very far away" sense that was kicking up inside me whenever I thought about tinypic.

Well, I appreciate all of the input from everyone. I think I'll test out Imgur and see if I can make it work with my phone. That looks like an okay option. And Discord will probably be alright for some short-term things.