What NOT to do when making a fursuit

9 Dec 2016, 9:34 am (Edited 11 Dec 2016, 6:59 am)
Even if you are trying to cut time or losses these are things you dont want do if you wanna wear the head more than once

Materials NOT to use in fursuit construction
- Any glue other than hotglue on foam gluing, other glues will release lot of fumes and that is not good
- Duct tape, by this i mean usign it as part of your suit, you see people taping the bse together so its better fit then furring it, DO NOT DO THAT, duct tape will release fumes and keep the foam from breathing which is very bad situation for wearability. It is used only on tape patterns on transferring the pattern to fur, it doesnt stay in suit.
- Closed cell foam, does not breathe, most camping mats are made out of this.
- Storofoam, will break very easily and release fumes when it heats up.
- CARDBOARD, i cant say this more than enough, do not use cardboard in your base, unless you want it to be shortlived.
- Foamies for eyes, very floppy and will keep any and all straches and bumps it gets on it (ruined my own eyes by just installing them, i just held them when gluing down, seriosly.)
- Plastic canvas, you see these tutorials but they are veeery old, plastic canvas will break easily and when it does your face is in danger, dont want all of those sracthes just cause some kid didnt know not to hit your nose.
- Old couch foam, any old furniture foam has possibility for stains, bugs, animal hairs and mold (you cant see most of those since the foam has absorbed it, but you will notice it after wearing it and it aint pleasant) it also falls apart faster
- Paper or cardboard for the eyewhites, same as foamies, dont do it, it will get moist when you breathe inside the head and be ruined after one or two wearings
- Wire, do not use wire in your suit structure other than to support earframe (check that heads and turned and cover the wire with fleece or somethign before gluign it up) or to make posable tails, which both of these make sure to blunt and curve the end so it doesnt poke throu fabric in any occasion, and cover it with fleece or other fabric before putting it inside your tail, dont want wire poking out of your finished tail and hurting somone

And then some things not advised to do when making a fursuit.
- Gluing the seams, do not do this, it will fall apart easier and in worst case it will shows up throu the seam and on your fursuit head as real ugly lines and clump your fur. You cant get hotglue off fur in any way other than cutting the fur off
- Sewing markings ontop of your fur, this will make it look like a cyst and since the fur you are sewing on is long, it will just look real weird. always sew markings in, it looks better and no worry about the marking trying to fall off when brushing the suit
- Airbrushing light colors on dark fur, this can be done but the results arent good, if you are trying to get some faint gradient airbrushing for your ears for example, always airbrush onto the lightest color.
Also airbrushing light blue on red fur will look really weird purple so that is also one thing to keep in mind
- Wrong way facing fur, its not a bit deal but will look off once you are doing a partial or more, for example when making ears, the fur goes up to the eartip, not down, and making handpaws the fur goes towards the fingers and not towards the wrist.
- Gluing your markings, please please please dont do this, if you spill any glue over the spot you are gluing, your whole head is likely ruined
- markers done by sharpies, copics etc it looks bad and will bleed once it gets moisture

Did i forget something?
Please remind me :3
I hope this is helpful for someone
Ill fill something here later, feel free to visit my FA

9 Dec 2016, 9:37 am
Thank you so much for making a post like this! As someone currently making a suit some of these tips are helpful. Some of these things people had told me were fine and I saw them being used, im glad I know now. Such as the duct tape one for the base, ive seen a load of people use that.
Broke the damn forums
-Mar 16th 12:03am-
5955845_3E0OD9d8hZBIUsz.png?1515069037
~Twinkle | He/Him | +1 fv time~
DA | TH | DV
9 Dec 2016, 9:46 am
Thank you so much for making a post like this! As someone currently making a suit some of these tips are helpful. Some of these things people had told me were fine and I saw them being used, im glad I know now. Such as the duct tape one for the base, ive seen a load of people use that.

Yeah there are lot of wips with the head duct taped and markings drawn on it, but that is only temporary for making a pattern! I got fooled frist time when the tutorial i used failed to mention that you remove the tape and skipped straight to furred head pictures
Glad its some help :3
9 Dec 2016, 9:50 am
I know a thing not to do!
Don't let me make one
I break everything

But this post is VERY helpful
If I ever try to make a suit
Eh I don't have much to say
b4b27d8e95234d01885b28d9bddc78c1.png
Have a picture of my cat
9 Dec 2016, 4:21 pm
yes so shaving fur and some glue like e6000 should be used with a mask,

dremel work mask, gloves, and safety glasses.

remember to score/sandpaper resin before gluing give it some texture
xSRsBu0.pngnYno2vL.png
9 Dec 2016, 4:27 pm
This is awesome but i have a question about the wording on one of your bullets!!

"Airbrushing light colors on dark fur, this can be done but the results arent good, if you are trying to get some faint gradient airbrushing for your ears for example, always airbrush on the lightest color."
It sounds like you are saying to do what you just finished saying not to do....at the end, are you saying airbrush a color ONTO the lightest color?
mbgr72alegac2k
kr36xep

⭐ He/Him ⭐
⭐ I want to be your friend :3 ⭐
9 Dec 2016, 4:32 pm
This is awesome but i have a question about the wording on one of your bullets!!

"Airbrushing light colors on dark fur, this can be done but the results arent good, if you are trying to get some faint gradient airbrushing for your ears for example, always airbrush on the lightest color."
It sounds like you are saying to do what you just finished saying not to do....at the end, are you saying airbrush a color ONTO the lightest color?

yeah on the lightest color, onto could be better word but yea :'D ill edit that
9 Dec 2016, 4:34 pm
okay!! <3

oh, because your guide is so in-depth, i think it'd be neat to see from you a list of things to do (maybe cheaper options if you're in the know?) :O im super new to suiting myself and there are so many conflicting guides online i feel~
mbgr72alegac2k
kr36xep

⭐ He/Him ⭐
9 Dec 2016, 4:37 pm
okay!! <3

oh, because your guide is so in-depth, i think it'd be neat to see from you a list of things to do (maybe cheaper options if you're in the know?) :O im super new to suiting myself and there are so many conflicting guides online i feel~

Sure i might do one tomorrow ish, there are so many more ways to make stuff into a suit than there are things you shouldnt so it takes bit thinking :'D
But i certainly can do that
9 Dec 2016, 4:39 pm
Sure i might do one tomorrow ish, there are so many more ways to make stuff into a suit than there are things you shouldnt so it takes bit thinking :'D
But i certainly can do that
Awesome! I'll keep an eye out ^___^
mbgr72alegac2k
kr36xep

⭐ He/Him ⭐
9 Dec 2016, 6:07 pm
Lets not forget, don't sharpie your markings on! It looks TERRIBLE!

Also don't use those halloween talking wolf masks you're seeing everywhere now as a base. Please they just look aweful.
Todd/Cream | He/They | 18 | Demi-Male
My Stall
Icon by Helviti
10 Dec 2016, 4:07 am
Joltik said:

Also don't use those halloween talking wolf masks you're seeing everywhere now as a base. Please they just look aweful.

the halloween masks also break real easy and hurt your face as its thin plastic, ill add this bit later
11 Dec 2016, 6:19 pm
Joltik said:

I have two (white tiger and bear) that I managed to get for dirt cheap, as I was planning to use the bear for a cosplay project, so I didn't mind that the bear looked off-putting since I was going for that effect.
The wolf and fox-types are certainly...er, poor. It seems to me as though the pug is the best out of all of them. The bear and the felines (white tiger, lion, panther) seem to be in the middle with varying degrees depending on each individual mask.
What would be improvements that could be made? I noticed the eyes are a little bit too small in some cases, so would sanding down the eye sockets work?
15 Dec 2016, 11:09 pm
While I agree with most of this post, I have to say that other glues work just fine. As long as you do it outside or in another well ventilated area the fumes will not damage you, even when being worn.
27 Dec 2016, 1:14 pm
if you cant color with markers on the eyes how do you get the color?
27 Dec 2016, 1:43 pm
if you cant color with markers on the eyes how do you get the color?

acrylics! they dont wash off so no bleeding issues and doesnt have fumes either like some markers do
also answered your message
27 Dec 2016, 1:45 pm
While I agree with most of this post, I have to say that other glues work just fine. As long as you do it outside or in another well ventilated area the fumes will not damage you, even when being worn.

yeah most people make suits as rush projects for cons so usually ventilating isnt first thingin mind! one maker i know (wild-life) uses spray glue but they need to air it out for a week so it doesnt have any fumes
27 Dec 2016, 1:56 pm
I shake my head whenever I see someone use foamies. Just. Yikes. That crap will last all of a week under heavy wear.

Adding onto your list:

Closed-celled foam is okay for ears! Just don't use it for areas you need ventilated.

I've seen glued seams done nicely, and in some cases it's better for small markings than sewing, as it doesn't leave any bulk beneath the fabric from extra fur in the seams, which can warp a marking. You just have to be incredibly careful with it. Incredibly. Careful.

Paint also isn't the best for eyes, as it can clog holes and leave you with low visibility. I personally use oil colored pencils, as they're water resistant and can still achieve really bright colors. Just give them a quick spritz of fixative afterwards to prevent smudging and you're good!

Don't use sculpey. It's too brittle to be used as claws. You'll break it. It's too heavy to be used as jawset material. Your suit's mouth will hang open. It's WAY too heavy for horns. You'll give yourself a headache. You save yourself so much time by commissioning resin pieces that are lightweight and won't break. Alternatively, apoxie sculpt is your best friend for teeth and claws. You can sculpt it thin over tinfoil to keep it light (Sculpey breaks if you get it that thin) and that crap never breaks. Never. I've got a dremel that goes through heavy plastic faster than apoxie sculpt.

Not currently active. Hoping to be back when the site starts making some positive changes.
in509H9.png
27 Dec 2016, 2:08 pm (Edited 27 Dec 2016, 2:09 pm)
Oreloki
For resin and more sturdy sculpey stuff like teeth are okay :3 that way it doesnt han gopen, unless sculpey is much heavier than similar mass we have here. also made sculpey thing teeth for foam head, it used camping mat on mouth and was sturdier and i think has static jaw anyway

as for the eye paint, you poke the holes out :'D or simply just paint the iris on plastic that way no hole poking!

mind if i quote this to the starting post
27 Dec 2016, 2:10 pm (Edited 27 Dec 2016, 2:12 pm)
Digibat Maybe it's just me then, but sculpey always breaks when I use it. It's just so brittle.

Acrylic will chip off of plastic mesh over time. and buckram would take a lifetime to poke all the holes out of. I know a lot of people just poke the holes out, but I never have that kind of patience xD

And no, I don't mind. Just putting in my two cents from what I've learned on my own... usually the hard way

Not currently active. Hoping to be back when the site starts making some positive changes.
in509H9.png
30 Dec 2016, 1:10 pm
Acrylic paint won't block the holes in buckram if you water it down!
But you will need multiple coats to get a vibrant colour.

Also are we talking about using Foamies/craft foam for the main bit of the eye? It got me concerned and then a little confused because I forget that people make static eyes as well as follow-me eyes haha.

Something I want to add.
If you want your suit to look any kind of good, DO NOT use fun fur. Buying good quality faux fur, while expensive, is worth it.

A good many years back I made handpaws out of low quality fun fur and it's awful. Seams popped, it ITCHES, and it really doesn't look nice.
bueno_by_headsmashscrafty-db29klw.png
Icon and sig by KingScrafty
I share a house with KingScrafty ! You'll probably find me screaming about how much I love her art!

If you could use They/Them pronouns when referring to me that would be really great ^^
30 Dec 2016, 1:40 pm
Mimic said:
Acrylic paint won't block the holes in buckram if you water it down!
But you will need multiple coats to get a vibrant colour.

Also are we talking about using Foamies/craft foam for the main bit of the eye? It got me concerned and then a little confused because I forget that people make static eyes as well as follow-me eyes haha.

Something I want to add.
If you want your suit to look any kind of good, DO NOT use fun fur. Buying good quality faux fur, while expensive, is worth it.

A good many years back I made handpaws out of low quality fun fur and it's awful. Seams popped, it ITCHES, and it really doesn't look nice.

and by foamies i meant using them at all is bad, mine were follow me eyes but you can make the edge also outta plastic or even felt is better since it doesnt die on you
I had some fur that shaved into bald spots, jeez, but good fur here is well over 40 a meter so went with that at the time
30 Dec 2016, 2:03 pm
Digibat

Fair enough, I never thought of using plastic for the edges.
bueno_by_headsmashscrafty-db29klw.png
Icon and sig by KingScrafty
I share a house with KingScrafty ! You'll probably find me screaming about how much I love her art!

If you could use They/Them pronouns when referring to me that would be really great ^^
28 Apr 2019, 12:54 am
I'm definitely late, but just wanted to say this was super-helpful
Also, avoid using craft-store felt, its often stiff and has an itchy texture.
30 Jul 2019, 2:41 am
Also

-Do NOT rush

-keep breaks, remember to drink and eat!
bill nye the science guy