trans furry fursona discussion ?

11 Dec 2016, 10:34 am (Edited 11 Dec 2016, 1:42 pm)
***This thread is a safe space for trans and questioning people -- please do not post if this topic does not apply to you. Thanks!***

also, i posted this in the general chat for a reason, let's keep it PG! so no explicit discussion of a sexual nature. i know there are trans and nb minors and i want them to feel included! moving on...

as a trans person, i was wondering how other people relate the their fursonas? i've seen plenty of trans people with fursonas that represent how they look IRL--say, a male fursona who still has a ""female"" body (i use scare quotes bc there is no essential male or female body but u know what i mean). i have also seen trans folks with fursonas that represent how they want to look post-transition--e.g. more ""male"" looking, but with chest scars or other markers of transness. then there are trans folks who use their fursona as an idealized, cis version of what they wished they look like but would never look like IRL.

i fall into the final category, for the most part, but i find it interesting that there's such a wide range of variation in the trans furry community, which is a small subset of an already small community. i figured we could use this thread to talk about how our fursona (or fursonas) relate to our own experience of gender, just because i think it would be neat to talk about! i'll go first.

basically, i have two fursonas. both are very androgynous, since i have always considered myself an androgynous person, but my ideal body is that of a cis male. so my main fursona, peter, has a typical cis male appearance but with feminine features--long hair, pretty eyes, etc. he represents a more idealized version of myself, and how i've always visualized myself. i use he/him pronouns for him only.

my other fursona, cerenade, is closer to how i actually look. her chest is flat but i consider her 'female' and use she/her or they/them pronouns for her. i feel she represents the more masculine side of myself, sort of coming at androgyny from the other side of the spectrum. as a teen i ID'd as a lesbian for a while, and i feel like cerenade represents the masculine girl i used to think i was.

both are important representations of myself and i feel like together they embody my experience with gender perfectly. but sometimes i feel weird that they both have essentially 'cis,' albeit androgynous bodies you know? almost as if i'm saying trans bodies can't be beautiful? like i've internalized transphobia that makes me not want to represent myself the way i actually am? and maybe part of that is true, but idk...i think bodies are a source of pain for a lot of people and it's nice to have a character to represent yourself that lets you escape that.

anyway, i'm interested in hearing everyone else's experiences! sorry for such a long post, haha, i just wasn't sure where else to put this. there's a lot of transphobia on FA and i don't talk with many furries on tumblr so this seemed like a good place.

❤ Peter
21 | he/him| fruit bat

11 Dec 2016, 11:45 am
bump ovo
21 | he/him| fruit bat
11 Dec 2016, 11:48 am
I've always made representations of myself as just being a cis girl who hasn't been through the pain of dysphoria.
11 Dec 2016, 11:50 am
mine are honestly- I'm agender/androgyne fluid? but my fursonas always "balance out" as androgyne if that makes sense

like if I make them appear masculine I'll give them a more fem gender (or clothing, or something) so it evens out? none of mine have ended up really being cis. or cis-ish.
"what's a fairy. can I hug it. I'm Gonna Hug The Fairy."

w3IEeZ1.png
11 Dec 2016, 11:50 am
all my personas in general are trans like me. Sometimes I like to make them cis, just to feel better about myself.
tumblr_oi1zkxB8xA1u1m1yzo1_400.png
11 Dec 2016, 11:56 am
Hello! I haven't been very loud with my identity but I am trans.
The fur community has been so accepting of me and I feel like I should share a bit about my fursona and their appearance.
First of all my fursona is a Sodaroo, a kangaroo based on my favorite drink; Pepsi.
He is male because that is what I envision myself to be.
I'm incredibly grateful for all the support and wanted to say thanks!
Being trans is a tough life but with all of you, it makes it easier.
Thanks NepNep for the cool forum post.
my art shop - > http://www.furvilla.com/forums/thread/60585-ilaris-cheap-art-openpinglist
11 Dec 2016, 11:56 am
Tbh my fursona isn't very erm, humanoid, so its very gender neutral looking as far as a monster thing goes, but I guess it fits the wanting to look gender neutral/sorta masculine thing i have. Whenever I rp as it though, I write them as being a trans demi-guy as well.
On FR and CS under the same name.?yY-zh=party.png

Ping me again if I don't respond in 24 hours, there's a chance I clicked and forgot to respond.
11 Dec 2016, 11:58 am
NepNep yeah peter's the same with me, i feel that. i use cerenade to deal with dysphoria sometimes because their body is like mine.

ventwin that makes sense! i dig androgynous representations even tho i'm not agender personally

glass-gun i know that feel, i admire u for having trans personas tho!! there aren't enough tbh...
21 | he/him| fruit bat
11 Dec 2016, 11:59 am (Edited 11 Dec 2016, 12:01 pm)
I am so happy to see a whole discussion devoted to trans and cis furs.
Especially since the majority outside the fandom frowns upon trans/cis furrys.
And furs in general.
Its nice to see more trans furs out there.
my art shop - > http://www.furvilla.com/forums/thread/60585-ilaris-cheap-art-openpinglist
11 Dec 2016, 12:00 pm
I always give my fursonas no sex characteristics because that is what I feel like I should look like. I make a more androgynous body shape in general too, less blocky than a typical "masculine" figure but not exactly curvy either. A lot of times I like to draw my fursona in a more chibi type of style because the anatomy isn't so defined and I don't have to be reminded of so many aspects of the body I don't like about myself.

In regard to identity, I tend to imagine my fursona doesn't exist in a place where genders were assigned, so notions of being cisgender or transgender wouldn't really exist. They get to just be whatever.

I never use my fursona for dysphoria vent art... I'll draw mutilated human figures or idealized human figures for that... I think my fursona is kept more as a projection of what I want rather than any negativities expressing themselves.

I'm intersex but I do have breasts I don't want so the scar thing is interesting to me as a concept but I don't think I could ever add it to my own character.... One of the things that makes me saddest is that if by some miracle I do get top surgery there will be huge scars on my chest.... I just want to be who I'm supposed to not have constant reminders of how fucked up my body is.... T_T
1a5.jpg
11 Dec 2016, 12:03 pm (Edited 11 Dec 2016, 12:03 pm)
Ilari thanks for your post, your fursona sounds adorable!!! i've had a similar experience with the furry community for the most part, but sometimes in 18+ circles trans folks deal with a lot of fetishization that i try to avoid.

hemotypewriter monster characters are awesome, also i adore your active villager! bats ftw <3

also if anyone in general doesn't have enough trans friends or wants to talk abt trans stuff i love to chat about this type of thing and will happily be your friend (on here or elsewhere)!
21 | he/him| fruit bat
11 Dec 2016, 12:07 pm
Mallow that's actually a really interesting point about different art styles being more ambiguous than others! i've personally always drawn in a more representational/realistic style as i'm not very good a chibis, but chibis and cartoons are a lot more androgynous, you're right.

if you want to talk about top surgery, i've done research on the subject pretty extensively since i was 16 (so 5 years now lol yikes) so i know a lot about different procedures. scars fade with time! don't give up hope...
21 | he/him| fruit bat
11 Dec 2016, 12:08 pm
I try to avoid the more dark and sexual stuff, I try not to make others have a bad opinion of the fandom.
Basically trying to get other people to see how cool it is.
I have met some others and they like the clean side of the fandom and have made their own fursonas because of it.
And one of them is a trans fur like me and it makes me happy to support others in the fandom that need it.
And I do vent by drawing and writing so all of us are mostly in the same boat.
11 Dec 2016, 12:13 pm
yesterlove this is a good and pure thread thank you
"what's a fairy. can I hug it. I'm Gonna Hug The Fairy."

w3IEeZ1.png
11 Dec 2016, 12:13 pm
Ilari i totally get that! i don't think there's anything inherently bad about nsfw stuff (all fandoms have it--just look at anime circles) but there are definitely some gross people in every fandom. i won't go into detail for trying to keep this post PG.

but yeah there's definitely a misconception out there that furry is all about nsfw stuff and that's not true at all. i'm always glad to see the trans part of the fandom growing, i think being able to represent yourself in an ideal form is really healthy even if that form is not human haha.
21 | he/him| fruit bat
11 Dec 2016, 12:17 pm
ventwin always happy to facilitate trans positive discussion! ❤
21 | he/him| fruit bat
11 Dec 2016, 12:18 pm
i usually draw every character very gender neutral since i have a more cartoony style!(i only recently started experimenting w body types tho)My main sona is trans representing who i am today but i have another character who is basicly me before i "realized" who i am and they are genderqueer ii think thats it for my experience haha? im still kinda young though but i still feel way much more happier and free since the day i came out!
tumblr_messaging_ohoahaCbQ41uscoxu_250.g
same
11 Dec 2016, 12:19 pm
Yesterlove, I totally agree that we can't just say the unclean part of the fandom doesn't exist.
Its fine to express yourself but my suggestion is not to over do it and broadcast a bad image of the fandom.
But EVERY fandom has its issues and its just our fandom is a huge target.
But every person I have met in this fandom so far have been super friendly and clean.
11 Dec 2016, 12:19 pm
I like to avoid gender with my characters and fursonas most of the time.
I want them to be free of the bad feelings I can't be free of.
(He/They)
I hope you have a great day!
Give the user above an Ice-cream flavor!
tumblr_p7las0inXP1u2x68ro7_400.gif
11 Dec 2016, 12:20 pm
I've got a handful of fursonas, all of which who represent me at some point in my life.

Jordan- my first fur, a simple grey dog with blue markings. I made her two, maybe three, years ago. At the time I thought I was gender fluid, asexual, and pan romantic. As such, Jordan is an asexual phantom antic gender fluid individual.

Cleo- my second creation, a mostly cat appearing creature with three eyes, bat wings that don't connect to their body, and a tentacle for a tail and purple markings. When I created them, I was experimenting with other pronouns and tried out they/them for a little while. Cleo also was different from Jordan because at this time, I knew I wasn't asexual. Pansexual is what I believed I was. So Cleo is an agender pansexual. (Not really gender related but they also were very confident in themselves and that's what I did/do still struggle with so I wanted to mention this)

Shane/Pansy: My newest and actual fursonas. Both represent me for who I actually am, though in different ways. Both are homosexual transgender guys, and both share most of my personality traits. Both think girls are really pretty and should love themselves more, and both get awkward around pretty guys because 1. The guys are pretty and they don't thin they are and 2. They aspire to be like that someday. Pansy, though, is the version of me I cannot wait to fully embrace once I graduate and leave my small town. He's feminine, he loves pastel aesthetic, he's all about makeup and cute clothes and cries over silly things. Shane is more of myself that will never change, regardless of now or later in life. He's loud, sensitive but hates it, likes how's about tattooing and murder (not tattooing AND murder, like shows about tattooing, and shows about murder), gets passionate easily, his emotions spill over at the worst of time because he holds everything in, he's more comfortable in pants than a dress, he just wants to sleep comfortably with a pet kitten for 24+ hours.

All of these characters represent me at different points. While I don't identify with Cleo or Jordan anymore, they mark special points in the path of me finding my true identity, and I could never just toss them.
Hitoshi-Shinsou.gif?resize=540%2C282
11 Dec 2016, 12:23 pm
My main fursona Sovereign the Deer is based off myself as a transboy- however, he has had chest surgery. My character Via Lactea (The dragon) is intersex as a feral, but as an anthro he is trans too. My main four fursonas, including Sovereign and Via, all represent parts of myself. Only one is a cis male, and he actually represents my more feminine side than my masculine.
13427.png Mistakes were made
11 Dec 2016, 12:24 pm
I have two fursonas, one is the idealized i guess 'transitioned' version of me and the other is more like how i'm stuck for the moment ig
628-lion-cub.png 1578-macaw-sphinx.png 2607-treasure-seeking-pirate-parrot.png
11 Dec 2016, 12:26 pm
I'm genderless, and just never really thought about giving my fursona a gender (initially when I first designed them I tried giving them a label of male or genderfluid but none stuck, so I just stopped caring after that). I'm not sure if they would come off more masculine or feminine anyways, but my art style is pretty neutral.

fgDa0Bt.gif
hi i'm norway and i collect salmon
11 Dec 2016, 12:27 pm
Ilari i totally agree ❤

Corgi-osis yes, me too! i think that is the prevailing opinion of most trans furs, which is why it's so rare to see a character who actually "looks" trans. i think all ways of representing oneself are great though, and people should represent themselves however they feel most comfortable.

SinMachine thanks for the detailed feedback! i always find it interesting to see how people's characters evolve over time as people's identities evolve over time. i think it's especially noticeable with trans people's characters, since our identities are so often in flux, especially during the teenage years. looking back at cerenade's old refs (their design changed quite a lot when i was growing up) i can see how i was feeling about my gender at that particular moment. it's really neat!

all your characters and fursonas sound awesome, btw! nvn
21 | he/him| fruit bat
11 Dec 2016, 12:29 pm
a lot of my ocs are trans, and though i dont identify with a gender, the ones that represent me most are trans boys that are pre-op but still look very boy-ish, since thats kinda me (im dfab and i dont make much of an effort but i still get called 'son' a lot)

i only have like 2 cis girls but lots on nb and boy ocs ?? i guess thats a manifestation of my distaste with identifying as a girl