Explaining to parents?

15 Dec 2016, 5:46 pm
So, I'll be starting on making a fursuit partial in the next two weeks or so, and so far I've pitched it to my mom as an "art project". But as I work on it more, I want to be ready for any questions she may have about what I'm making and why I'm making it. Anyone have any advice on explaining the fandom to parents?

Thanks in advance for any help!!
hi i'm curio and i love fictional characters more than life
mkWCHCg.giflkQ3UVq.gif

16 Dec 2016, 12:16 pm
Oh wow, that's a tough one. As far as I can tell, my family doesn't know. Honestly, I would prefer to keep it that way. They aren't very understanding or supportive.

But you know you're family better than anyone on the outside. If you feel they will understand and still love you or if you just need to tell them, then it might be a good idea to get it off your chest. Just do what you feel is right.
16 Dec 2016, 3:14 pm (Edited 16 Dec 2016, 3:14 pm)
Hmmmm, It really depends on their personality. It's sad that people have to admit to it because of all the misunderstandings
tumblr_inline_n509t3mjHY1s8fa1r.gif
16 Dec 2016, 3:17 pm (Edited 16 Dec 2016, 3:23 pm)
Honestly, anyone with any sense probably won't give a crap about your personal interests.
(at least to the extent that they'd judge you on it)

Growing up, my mother didn't care one bit; The only comments she'd ever make is when I would draw NSFW art, she'd give me an "ew, dude..." Given, I don't suit, buuut...

If they are they type to be iffy and judgey, then as long as you're being safe and you're not spending their money, it's not really their business.

But if they're genuinely curious about what furries are... just tell em that furries are people who like anthropomorphic animals, and make custom characters for avatars, games online, and occasionally they like making suits because it's fun.

• Wife, Mother, Geek, Gamer, and Digital Artist •
Libra, Hufflepuff, Chaotic Good, ISFJ-T

VtXShuN.png

16 Dec 2016, 3:20 pm
Just say you're getting into professional level costumes/prop making/tailoring and you gotta start somewhere. Maybe that animals are easier than actual monsters, since they're so easy to find references on.
On FR and CS under the same name.?yY-zh=party.png

Ping me again if I don't respond in 24 hours, there's a chance I clicked and forgot to respond.
16 Dec 2016, 3:20 pm (Edited 16 Dec 2016, 3:21 pm)
Just tell them it's like dressing up as a character like from Zootopia or Kung Fu Panda.
Dylan | He-Him Pronouns | My Art Shop | Social Media Links
16 Dec 2016, 3:21 pm
Also, you might want to just claim ignorance to the fandom at large because of all the negative connotations with the term "furry".
On FR and CS under the same name.?yY-zh=party.png

Ping me again if I don't respond in 24 hours, there's a chance I clicked and forgot to respond.
16 Dec 2016, 3:25 pm (Edited 16 Dec 2016, 3:26 pm)
If your parents know what is... tell them you're cosplaying to con/party with friends.
Explain to them what is the cosplay if they don't know, it's easier than furries.
also If you're afraid to lie, get to know it's 50% true :v

Edit: If they complain about, just reply that you're growing.
Not playing anymore...
Thanks and... see ya.
16 Dec 2016, 3:29 pm
"There's a community of people who enjoy dressing up as characters and acting them out around others to bring them to life, it's kind of like freelance mascotting. Some do it for the fun, some do it for charity, etc"

Like Garmom said, if they know of cosplaying and LARP kind of things, it's definitely easier to compare to that.

I had a few videos ready to show them too. Good thing is, news reports these days are VERY supportive and/or neutral about furries compared to when I was younger. Here in the UK we recently had World of Weird show an episode segment on furries and it was incredibly positive!

Good videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xahVFwwg9Y8&t=1s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wwEBjAC2WM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHZ9SwTk2UE
16 Dec 2016, 3:30 pm (Edited 16 Dec 2016, 3:31 pm)
curio Hey yo! I was in the same situation before, I just said I was building an "animal mask" and the situation was dropped for a while. My family knows about furries, but they were majorly uninformed, and for the most part, still are. For my family, explaining that you can actually be successful working on fursuits was enough, and they don't really care if I draw anthropomorphic animals. (Though my dad used to comment a lot on it, like he was drawing attention to the fact that it was odd)
Explaining to your family exactly what furries are and what it means to you might be the thing that helps them understand.
kieran_wintertime_by_vampirizian-daqunby Kieran|Furry|Vampire/Demonkin|System|DA|Toyhou.se
16 Dec 2016, 3:36 pm
I kept my first head completely secret until it was nearly complete, then walked out into the living room with it on my face.

My mom didn't really know what to think of it other than just completely bust up laughing. It was easy for her to listen and be understanding with the uplifted mood.

I doubt this would work for everyone, though. You just gotta know your own parents.

Never hurts to drop in that learning a suit-making skill is a very well-paid hobby. Drag 'em on furbuy and show 'em some of those prices, even on the amateur stuff.

Not currently active. Hoping to be back when the site starts making some positive changes.
in509H9.png
16 Dec 2016, 4:01 pm
You can tell your family that you like animal mascot costumes and that you want to make a mascot of your own. Like the ones at theme parks. That's how I explained it to my family. I just like dressing up as an animal because it makes me feel like a character from a cartoon, and everyone knows I'm obsessed with cartoons.
18 Dec 2016, 8:39 am
Well, being a furry is nothing you need to come out with.
If you would, It would be like this (it's a really bad comparison) "Mom, I need to tell you something really important about me." - "What is it?" - "I, play basketball..." - What, how can you like that, we are no longer family!"
See how dumb it is? Just say something like, "Oh this is a costume, of an anthropomorphized animal." and conversation over. If there are more questions, you could possibly say something like "This are animals walking on to legs, they're really cute/cool/whatever." Just DON'T make it sound like it is something weird.
- Some well chosen quote -

Mind a click?
SF1XW.gif CJFc5.gif pRmwd.gif nLp1T.gif q0CUd.gif
26 Dec 2016, 2:50 am
I would say something along the lines of it being like having a custom cartoon character that you created yourself.
If you feel brave enough, you can tell them that the character kind of embodies you in some sort of personal way.
Like having your own lion from the lion king

I know it's not spot on, but I think it's in the right ball park
INTP | Taurus | 24 | Any Pronouns | Ace/Aro | Un-social
-DA- | -DV- | -FR- | -TH- | -Picarto-
26 Dec 2016, 4:12 pm (Edited 26 Dec 2016, 4:13 pm)
Just say you're getting into professional level costumes/prop making/tailoring and you gotta start somewhere. Maybe that animals are easier than actual monsters, since they're so easy to find references on.

This, and cosplay. Maybe find a few videos ahead of time that depict it well so that you can give her a good idea of what fursuiting is and what it means to you, so that she doesn't look it up and get the impression given by that one episode of CSI?
Pine • 20 • they/them • PNW (-2 hours FV time) • INTP
tumblrtwittertoyhou.se
tumblr_inline_myneskulSW1rh7826.png
26 Dec 2016, 4:15 pm
We are an internet fandom based around anthropomorphic animals. It's like halloween all year round :D

I never really had to go through explaining it to my parents, since I just kinda said "I'm a furry and you can deal with it", but I wanted to help you out at least a little ^^'
Sabertooth | Lykoi Cat | Liger
xSRsBu0.png mmIVI3H.png
b4Iunsm.png
^^^^^^ Click me!
Roar and Howl - A furry discord server
26 Dec 2016, 4:19 pm
The way I've explained to it my parents to make it as simple as possible and in a way they can understand.

My fursuit is like a mascot costume. My character that I created is my mascot and I'm like an actor playing a part when I'm in my fursuit. It's like an alter ego and a hobby.
hey i'm dabbit, nice to meet you
26 Dec 2016, 4:21 pm
It is always an option to tell them you are making a costume as practice for a play the school is thinking of having and the art class is going to help out and you wanted the practice either way.

honestly though if your parents haven't reacted poorly to other things in your life, then they probably won't care about it. It's a costume, a complicated one, and you can take as much time on any costume for anything as you have. heck you could say 'I just want the best halloween costume next year, starting early.'
Former AnonFairy Existentialism (I was until people started making and releasing villagers with bad CSS... Ruin my fun why don't ya'll)
WiwPM2N.gif
28 Dec 2016, 5:46 pm
I sometimes imagine explaining it to my mother. She's pretty open-minded though, so it wouldn't be much of an issue if i ever do explain it. I'm not really hiding it, but i don't think she knows.

The way i imagine explaining it is that furries are people who make their own personal animal mascots. ('Mascot' is a great word to explain it, i think.) Furries like to draw or have other people draw their mascots, and some get custom-made costumes too. They come together in furry conventions to show their art and costumes and talk about cute animals. c:
28 Dec 2016, 5:48 pm
My mom just looks at it as like, costuming stuff. She's really supportive of my cosplays, so it's basically just another form of cosplay to her.

If your parents are chill with cosplay, tell them it's like that.
✰Anarchy✰21✰he/they/it✰
@ 40847 for ping ✰ taken ✰ icon by Paulie
⬇for my commissions thread ✰✰✰ for song name game thread⬇
rgbe7pay7ok2o2evpabtkg
carrd
28 Dec 2016, 5:48 pm (Edited 28 Dec 2016, 5:48 pm)
curio "im making a cosplay of one of my characters" ? a nice simple and honest answer
iPd97NZ.gifYbpLwur.png6retanN.gifYbpLwur.pngiPd97NZ.gif
BkvGbbz.gif™ |boBvjTb.gif|™ 5zBgwgn.gif
28 Dec 2016, 5:49 pm
I told my mum I was going to an anime con and it was a cosplay.

It went over well.
"YEAH MUM IT'S MY FAV CHARACTER."
MMjvS7y.png
28 Dec 2016, 5:51 pm
Show them cute fursuits, cute art, cute animations, anything that moms like. And dad, maybe show him Beauty of the bass's suit, the new one with speakers. Tell them that it's a fandom about having fun.
koi_by_pessimisticsharkie-dcrxq7o.png
28 Dec 2016, 5:52 pm
Just say to her:

"Its for a theatre performance"
That can help. Kinda....
sU4Te1Q.png
Female/BetaTester/Artist