Explaining to parents?

28 Dec 2016, 5:56 pm
But yeah that was years ago. Basically you just need to kinda put it across like people do for anime conventions really. Show your mom someone cosplaying and what not. Will you be going to a con though?
MMjvS7y.png
28 Dec 2016, 5:59 pm
Honestly. I feel as if 'furries' are JUST animals - whether they are canines, felines, any species - just animals that are cartoonized.

Simple as that imo, besides the... one part of the fandom.
30 Dec 2016, 4:56 pm
Why is it so hard to say and understand that it's just a character cosplay. Huge fuzzy animals. There's nothing to understand or accept tbh. Unlike the sexuality or something. I said to my mother that I like animals, we hangout with people, dress up like animals, draw, that's called furries. She said: well, it looks fun.
I was 20 though, atm. But still, there's not much to explain, it's just a hobbie. Like music or drawing.
31 Dec 2016, 1:20 pm
Why is it so hard to say and understand that it's just a character cosplay. Huge fuzzy animals. There's nothing to understand or accept tbh. Unlike the sexuality or something. I said to my mother that I like animals, we hangout with people, dress up like animals, draw, that's called furries. She said: well, it looks fun.
I was 20 though, atm. But still, there's not much to explain, it's just a hobbie. Like music or drawing.

The sexuality is something that the fandom is known for. Even when it's not a real factor, it's a stereotype that kind of comes with territory. Not to mention most people outside the fandom find it to be bizarre and a lot of people within the fandom are lgbt.

It's unfortunate, but there are a lot of people who aren't understanding of such things and some that would even take action against anyone outside of their own crowd.
31 Dec 2016, 1:26 pm
be honest, educate her about it, teach her about it and offer to answer any questions. If she has a problem with it tell her that you aren't making stuff up you aren't trying to hurt her, offer to be discreet about things to avoid 'embarrassing the family' ease her fears but don't lie to her...
31 Dec 2016, 1:27 pm

The sexuality is something that the fandom is known for. Even when it's not a real factor, it's a stereotype that kind of comes with territory. Not to mention most people outside the fandom find it to be bizarre and a lot of people within the fandom are lgbt.

It's unfortunate, but there are a lot of people who aren't understanding of such things and some that would even take action against anyone outside of their own crowd.

Well, that's something that I won't understand, how does it influence other people. I don't really care about other people and what they do as far as it does not touch me. So yeah... Never will understand hate towards furries, gays or whatever.
9 Jan 2017, 7:25 am
I haven't even told anybody about it. XD
Member since 7-2-16 Very active on here, Message me if you need a friend.
Beta Tester :3
smaller_by_rainbywolf-dbanvyb.gif
14 Jan 2017, 10:30 pm
I've always drawn animals. As a kid, i'd always act like one when playing games and I would always say I was part of -- animal. So, when I started creating my own animal characters, it wasn't really news to my parents!
I had my first fursona when I was 9, at the time I didn't know the difference between a sona or OC tho. As I changed my sonas to be more personal, my parents (being supportive of my love for art) would ask why I didn't draw anything else. My answer was usually that I didn't like drawing people, which was true, but I'd also explain that the character was y fursona which "was just a character more personal than my others"

As it went on I started explaining that since I can't draw people as well as I'd like, my fursona is just "me" as an animal character to represent myself online. Literally a furry persona. I have explained to my parents how there are sketchy parts of the fandom, as with any group of people, but for the most part a furry is just someone who has an animal character that they have a close connection with.

And as a cosplayer, comparing a fursuit of your own personal character to dressing up as a favorite show/book character was fairly easy as well.

tl;dr my parents have always been supportive of my animal characters and think fursuits are cool as I first got into cosplay and was able to compare it to that. I've basically just told them that while there are extremists as in any group, mostly furries are just people who have animal personas / characters to represent them online and such and some like to bring those characters to life by making costumes of them; like a personal mascot.
16 Jan 2017, 9:04 pm
Just say you want to dress up like an animal for fun.

It's funny because before I even knew about the fandom, my granny and I were watching My Strange Addiction and there was a fursuiter on it and she looked at me and said "that looks like something you'd do" XD
a skunk is a skunk, you should smell how you want
ui12vpZ.png