Reptilian suits?

28 Dec 2016, 2:12 pm
Let's say, hypothetically, I wanted to suit my alligator Freckles.

What kinds of materials are your favorites for reptilian suits? Fur is obviously out except for like, dragons or maybe dinosaurs or hybrids. Thoughts?
Frank || they/them || Aries || Slytherin || Carbon-based
Hit me up for pokemon trades and soup recipes

30 Dec 2016, 3:20 pm
A lot of reptile suits will use seal fur (half inch fur) for their suits, so fur isn't completely out the window.
A common back up from fur is fleece, I believe there is even some patterned fleece that might have scales imprinted on it.
If you're aiming more realistic there is vinyl with scale patterns imprinted on it, though this fabric has extremely less breathability.
I've seen leather used, but again a breathability issue.
You could then start to venture into special effects, making expanding foam (or other material) scales that could be transferred onto a fabric. Thats not something I've seen commonly done in the fandom though.
2 Jan 2017, 3:27 am
If you have a -lot- of time on your hands you could always make scales out of craft foam? I used it for my feathers but the longevity seems to be a little less than I hoped on the wings (the head still looks good though)
2 Jan 2017, 6:15 am
As a dragon myself, I too am looking at a way to make a leathery suit. I am giving serious consideration to just getting some stretched deer hide and running it over multiple times with a wartenberg(sp?) wheel to give it a thousand tiny airholes for breathability.

I really don't like the look of felt, but I have given some consideration to the sealfur short-plush faux fur. I've even given thought to a spandex suit with light underpadding and texture-paint embellishments with airbrushing. It's just so hard getting the proper representation in a suit!
Please PING ME! <3
DragonCave
Oi3nxD5.png
AH Trades/Sales here.
Menagerie Sheet

Fairy!
Sparkle-line2.gif
7 Jan 2017, 4:01 am
I've seen a few suits use bubble fur and it made a nice scale like effect.
Hmm whats this?
Oh yeah a blank sig
7 Jan 2017, 4:08 am
There are some fake leathers that are supposed to be more breathable but they would come in very limited colours and I imagine they could be harder to sew.
L9iQtaq.png
7 Jan 2017, 4:24 am
I'd probably just glue painted plastic scales on some kind of fleece or short fur. That would probably work for Crocs since their scales don't overlap, but dragons or snakes? Hmm

how ironic, we are humans in reptilian suits, but the government are reptilians in human suits.
mature-label-1348578462.png
7 Jan 2017, 4:35 am (Edited 7 Jan 2017, 4:43 am)
I have a reference somewhere of a really nice Argonian that I'd love to use an a guide for how I make my own Argonian one day. They used hot glue to make scales along the fleece, if I'm remembering correctly. After the scales dried, they air brushed the whole thing, which made the glue scales a little darker. It means you have to be much more careful on cleaning it, but it's really very pretty in my opinion.

Let me see if I can dig up that reference!

Edit: I could not find the one with the glue scales in my refs, but I did find one that painted leather scales:

EuCXcnm.jpg
BNGa3xO.jpg

Check over on the Live Journal fursuit making posts. You'll probably find something about scaly suits over there.
NJ5dWJ5q2Xt8HcP2ovwxvxWmaCntPc
yahFKa
❤ I am not a mod, but I'm here to help! ❤
8 Jan 2017, 8:38 am
some scaleys go for a full detailed resin head with fleece or spandex with air brushed scales. I know there is one person that makes latex scaley suits but they look rather hot/uncomfortable. Fleece takes a little more work but I think it would be the best [and cheapest] way to go

my dragon friend is fleecing his head and then covering it in a snakeskin print fabric I look forward to seeing the final outcome.

Forgemane has been working on some snake heads that might be available some time soon
xSRsBu0.pngnYno2vL.png