Anybody interested in a fursuit WIP?

15 Jan 2017, 12:07 am (Edited 15 Jan 2017, 12:43 am)
Hey, everybody!

I'm currently working on a fursuit project; a cute little pony named Charley (I sometimes refer to Charley as a "he" for convenience' sake, but do note that Charley has no official gender yet c: ), who's both a test run for my fursona/ponysona suit I'll be making for Anthrocon, and a way to see how much my suits would sell for.

I'll be making:
Head (WIP)
Tail (complete!)
Hands/gloves (Need to design/begin)
And -possibly- some hooves/feet - not sure about those yet.

I may also try my luck at some armsleeves, as my ponysona is going to be a fullbody suit and I need to practice sewing stuff like that before tackling her. @ w @

I've been taking frequent WIP photos of little Charley but have been waayyyyy too shy to post them anywhere.. I figured I should see if there's any interest before showing stuff.
Also, if you have any questions about fursuit making, please ask! I'm relatively new but I've done a lot of research and have some firsthand experience, and would absolutely love to help in any way I can. <3

So, please let me know if you'd like to see Charley come to life! Like I mentioned in passing, Charley will be going up for sale after he's complete, so if you're interested in buying a suit/seeing how well suits sell.. Maybe this'll be a good thread for you?

Thank you all, and do have a lovely day. .u.

-Hancets
Let us not grow weary of doing good.
tumblr_nuy1i6uLGo1uoohs3o1_400.gif

15 Jan 2017, 12:18 am
No, I've been staring at a fursuit wip for months as my unfinished head sits staring at me, eyeless and devoid of life, because I lack the emotional capacity to actually finish the darn thing...

Sorry, that was a bad joke. XD

I would LOVE to see a wip of your suit! If you want any tips or advice, let me know. I've made a few partials myself, and the unfinished on on my crafting desk is a cute white unicorn I was working on to go with my Renaissance dress. I really do lack the emotional capacity to finish it, but most of all I lack the space, and that's a big part of what stresses me out about it. I had to throw away some beautiful silver kankelon I was going to use for her mane and tail because my sweet, wonderful, ever so beloved daughter decided it would be a good idea to raid my closet for Christmas presents this year, crushing the box it was in and tangling it into a ratted mess that was completely unworkable. I forgive her though, because the brown I have might actually go well with the purple eyes I've made... if I ever install them that is. :,D
NJ5dWJ5q2Xt8HcP2ovwxvxWmaCntPc
yahFKa
❤ I am not a mod, but I'm here to help! ❤
15 Jan 2017, 12:36 am
Rotsuoy - Oh no, the joke gave me a good laugh. ;D Nothing quite like an unfinished fursuit head.. It does take some time to get used to them, especially if they're eyeless, soulless abominations. Hmm.

I may post pictures just for you then; I'm rather excited to share my work now, hah.
And gosh, you're making a unicorn? I'd love to see them, if you have any pictures! Equine/hooved suits are a passion of mine. <3
Sorry about the hair. @@; At least you have a good alternative color to use?
I'm nowhere near brave enough to try working with that sort of stuff for a suit.. Would much rather make plushy stuffed hair and be done with it, hah!
15 Jan 2017, 12:39 am
I'd love to see pictures! Hooved suits are always so great. ^^
VfvT9x4.png2nzpuET.pngVfvT9x4.png
Pretty inactive on this site.
Two hours behind Furvilla time
15 Jan 2017, 12:40 am
Ohhh please share, I love looking at other people's fursuits! Gives me inspiration for mine!
Alexander
transgender_stamp_by_nintendoqs-d8v2puv. he_him_by_nintendoqs-daf6ezr.png asexual_stamp_by_nintendoqs-d8v2my5.png

I do art sometimes~ Check my thread for more!
15 Jan 2017, 12:33 pm
Hancets I might have to send you pictures then. I'm really proud of the horn. It's super cute and plushie! Maybe seeing pictures of your suit will inspire me to finish that one!
yahFKa
15 Jan 2017, 12:34 pm
I'd love to see as well~
tumblr_ot1xt5hafQ1siav5co1_500.gif
15 Jan 2017, 12:37 pm
Hancets
I always love looking at suits :)
"I could give in to all the gloom, but tell me, tell me what for?"- Dear Evan Hansen
15 Jan 2017, 12:40 pm
Hancets Yeah, post one up! It's always cool to see what other people are working on and how they're particularly approaching something. ^^
HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE.
15 Jan 2017, 12:41 pm
I wanna see!
87kjb7A.gif
He/him|pansexual trans male|taken|beta tester
Closed species adopts!|Art thread!|Base edits!|Toyhou.se
15 Jan 2017, 12:43 pm
Oh I'd love to see, Hancets ! The creativity of the furry community is part of what I love so much, and I love seeing how fursuits come to life!
15 Jan 2017, 2:37 pm (Edited 15 Jan 2017, 2:37 pm)
Well goodness, looks like there's a fair bit of interest here - thank you all for providing feedback! .u. I'm a bit nervous-ish about posting it but I figure hey, if there's something distinctly wrong with it, better to know and fix it rather than carry on in my ignorance!

Okay so I'll just post the images I have up until my current progress..

We begin with the mannequin head (he still needs a name) preparing to be furry-fied..

IMG_5831_zpsvamc0kdk.jpg

He is ready.

Here, I began bulking out the foam itself, so I (or any other future owner) could wear glasses with the suit.

IMG_5833_zpsaz2zsrec.jpg

Next I put a panel if 1-inch foam on the face, cut out the muzzle from 3-inch foam, and attached it.

IMG_5835_zpsnffzrmse.jpg
15 Jan 2017, 2:39 pm
Started the eyes! I drew out a simple eye into foamies, and cut them out. I used a circle stencil for where the pupil/iris will go, and traced that same stencil onto some buckram fabric.

White of the eyes..

IMG_5836_zpsxbkxstpp.jpg

..And the irises!

IMG_5837_zpsmmtvqtq7.jpg

IMG_5840_zpsct06sexc.jpg

I added a bit of extra paint around the irises, just in case the placement was a bit off. Didn't want any white buckram showing once I glued the fabric to the foamies.

IMG_5846_zpsbl2fd88c.jpg
15 Jan 2017, 2:42 pm
Woahhh those eyes are bootiful <3 . <3
15 Jan 2017, 7:30 pm
Rotsuoy I'd be really interested in seeing that, especially for the horn! I'll need to make a horn for my fursona suit and would love to see how other people have made plush horns. <3

BelleBlueWolf Thank you! ;u;

Next I put the finished eyes into the head - they fit very well! c: Snug enough to not fall out, but loose enough that they have a little give. I think they'll work very well after I glue them in.

I also added some drawings on the face and such, to help me establish where things like eyebrows/nostrils will go, and added foam for the cheeks. ^^

IMG_5850_zpsrzqjfgjj.jpg

Side view! Added eyebrows, a lower jaw, some transition pieces from the face to the muzzle, and started marking the parts of the cheeks that needed to be thinned out.

IMG_5852_zpst79unoqa.jpg

Sculpting time! I carved away some of the foam with my trusty craft scissors, re-did the eyebrows, and adjusted the muzzle a bit.

IMG_5984_zpsiz0vz1lg.jpg

Started moving back onto the head itself, adding bits of foam to finish constructing the "skull" for lack of a better term, which I'll carve so it transitions into the back of the wearer's actual head.

IMG_5986_zpsoxr0jleh.jpg
15 Jan 2017, 7:33 pm
:O can you ping me with updates?? this is wicked
2akh6hv.gifSpaz here was done by Chestnut <3
1ba508f8-bf19-11e6-b9d6-1b28e450782e.gif Adorable Gif Was Done By The Fantastic: Atheris
I'd love if you would come support my Patreon, I have a special tier for Furvilla Patrons
15 Jan 2017, 7:34 pm
lunalonewolf

;O;

Absolutely, friend! <3 Thank you for the lovely compliment, ahhh, this is only the second suit I've made, and the first equine overall, so I was.. Apprehensive about sharing it. |D I'm so glad to know people like it!
15 Jan 2017, 8:12 pm (Edited 15 Jan 2017, 8:14 pm)
Hancets Keep working on that muzzle! It's looking great! Don't give up! Also, ping me too when you update!

I went for a blockier, first generation mlp style pony noes for my unicorn, which some people don't like, but I really adore. This nose is looking great too! I really love the curve of the side view!

Also, you should name your mannequin head something like Butler or Steward- or any name that's service oriented, hehe. Mine's name is Alfred after Bruce Wayne's butler. XD
yahFKa
15 Jan 2017, 8:17 pm (Edited 15 Jan 2017, 8:17 pm)
Hancets

Holy heck that is really hecking cool so far man!! Could I also be pinged for any pic updates?? I love the detail in the eyes :OO

1AF1S0a.gif
16 Jan 2017, 10:57 pm
More updates yayyyy~

For the tail, I drew out a basic tail shape onto some posterboard. Divided the pattern into two pieces, and marked how the fur should lay, then traced and cut the patterns into the fur.

Then I sewed each "side panel" of the tail together. Here's one panel:

IMG_6039_zpsinehvni1.jpg

Sewing.

IMG_6046_zpscer08vpm.jpg

After I finished both "panels" I put them together, fur-side in, and pinned them, leaving the base of the tail open. It took quite a few pins!

IMG_6047_zpsx6csdek5.jpg

Sewed the panels together, trimmed the excess fur, and did a loopstitch all the way around the tail to add durability.

IMG_6048_zpsridmzwx2.jpg

Next I flipped the tail inside-out, and brushed out all the seams. Then came a really fun part - stuffing! Here's Charley's tail, all nice and plump:

IMG_6050_zpslfbjmtmb.jpg

And here I am modelling it, after sewing up the base and attaching to elastic loops to it.

IMG_6063_zpsmmpbgc1r.jpg

This is the first pony tail I've ever done, and I'm very happy with it! .u. It's bouncy, swishy, and easy to sit in - which is more than can be said for a husky tail I made months ago, hah.
16 Jan 2017, 11:01 pm
lunalonewolf
Rotsuoy
Steampunk_Llama

Here you all are! c:

And Rotsuoy, ahhh, I do love chunkier muzzles too. <3 The MLP:FIM muzzles can be cute, but.. I just can't draw them. Or sculpt them. Much better with G1 or G3 styled muzzles! Which is kind of what I'm going for on Charley - I'm trying to make him match my drawing style pretty closely. ^^

Butler sounds like a good name for my mannequin head. .o. I like it! Thanks for the suggestion. :D

And thanks to everyone else for the kind words! <3 They really mean a lot.
16 Jan 2017, 11:02 pm
Love that cute little tail! I can't wait to see the final product. We need more horse suits
Click my kiddos
BBJSQ.gifVqyQT.gif p4LnU.gif w92wR.gif
16 Jan 2017, 11:07 pm
nyaa, only the WIPs are already better than all my attempts!
Can't wait to see it finished >v<
16 Jan 2017, 11:08 pm
its going along swimmingly!!
2akh6hv.gifSpaz here was done by Chestnut <3
1ba508f8-bf19-11e6-b9d6-1b28e450782e.gif Adorable Gif Was Done By The Fantastic: Atheris
I'd love if you would come support my Patreon, I have a special tier for Furvilla Patrons
16 Jan 2017, 11:17 pm
Aaaaaaah, I'm so excited to see this finished!
yahFKa