Fursuit Regret? Advice? ((Please help))

24 Jun 2017, 6:24 pm
Does anyone have any regrets on getting a fursuit? Was owning a fursuit not as you expected after the initial shock was over, or do you regret spending so much money? Is there something else?

I've paid around 1/3 of a fursuit payment, and at some times, I'm extremely excited about getting one, and at others, I'm not sure if it would be a good idea. I can't exactly cancel on my maker, but I'm not sure if I'd like to, either. Please take into consideration I have zero IRL furry friends, and two parents who dislike fursuiting, one of which is very strict on how money is spent and very intense on the concept of not wasting a dime. (((I do have cons in my area, such as AWA and FWA.)))

However, I am very concerned about what my anti-furry friends, and what they will do if they find out I have a fursuit. What if a future partner dislikes fursuiting, or finds fursuiting weird??

On the other side, I do fully enjoy the concept of fursuiting + LARP, ever since I was a child, I had this problem that I'd prefer to be anyone else.. Fursuiting would not only allow me to do this, but it would also help with anxiety problems + give me something to look forwards to. However, I constantly stress about anti-fursuiting parents + anti-furry friends. Is this a good decision? I thought I had fully planned this out when I first began to commission this suit, but I'm not so sure anymore. What are your thoughts?
Xg0FJFg.png
hey im omen and i love random messages from people so please come talk to me
i love anime, dan and phil, TØP, FOB, P!ATD.. im in too many fandoms so if you wanna rave about something im right here

24 Jun 2017, 6:30 pm
I'm yet to buy a fursuit, but I really recommend trying on at least one fursuit before getting one. I got to try a head on and it was actually pretty nice... However, you may realize that it's not for you. This is the same for video games... Look into reviews and what the gameplay looks like before purchasing a game. :)
Good luck and don't be afraid to PM me if you need help!
15331oj.jpg
24 Jun 2017, 6:34 pm
DreamCat
I don't mind the feel of a fursuit at all, it's just that I'm worried about anti-fursuiting friends + parents. If my mother somehow found at the cost of a fursuit, she'd get extremely angry + my father is highly against fursuiting, I remember one time he told me that he'd feel like he's failed as a parent if he caught me at a furry convention. I've convinced him fursuiting isn't based around sex, but he still highly hates the concept + gets tense around it.
Xg0FJFg.png
hey im omen and i love random messages from people so please come talk to me
i love anime, dan and phil, TØP, FOB, P!ATD.. im in too many fandoms so if you wanna rave about something im right here
24 Jun 2017, 6:46 pm
DreamCat
I don't mind the feel of a fursuit at all, it's just that I'm worried about anti-fursuiting friends + parents. If my mother somehow found at the cost of a fursuit, she'd get extremely angry + my father is highly against fursuiting, I remember one time he told me that he'd feel like he's failed as a parent if he caught me at a furry convention. I've convinced him fursuiting isn't based around sex, but he still highly hates the concept + gets tense around it.

Trust me, that's my family as well... My family has gone as far as to tell me to never go to furry conventions and to never tell whoever I date that I'm a furry. It's really bad. I feel like I might just buy a fursuit without their consent... I've even shown them a furry PowerPoint, but they're still highly against furries. It sucks a lot.
15331oj.jpg
26 Jun 2017, 11:45 am
I'm currently making a suit, and let me tell you, it's frustrating.
It's my first suit and I have a vision of how I want it to come out, and the bucket head base is slightly lopsided. Whenever I look at it, I want to tear it apart and scrap the foam, use what I have left and make another base. (Mind you, I probably will. I've gone through two head bases, and I plan to make one final bucket base.) It might be easy to pick out the imperfections on your suit once the immediate joy of getting one wears off, but that shouldn't impact you in anyway. It's a unique creation.

As for your anxiety and the fear of your parents/friends finding out:
I'm not buying a suit, so it might be different, but my father is very unsupportive, similar to yours, and my mother doesn't understand the fandom. I also have no furry friends, and all of my friends ignore it and push away the fact that I am in the fandom, because they don't agree with it. Just let them be. It's your life and your money. If they don't listen, you could show up in suit one time when you feel comfortable. Try to explain that you feel a lot better about yourself now, if it gives you confidence.
"I could give in to all the gloom, but tell me, tell me what for?"- Dear Evan Hansen
26 Jun 2017, 12:18 pm
10 years from now you're more likely to regret the things you didn't do.
200w_d.gif
26 Jun 2017, 12:38 pm
I worry about anti-furs too, since even my closest friends say they're freaks or stupid, and my brother says they should die... (I'm also prety paranoid in general)

I don't think this is a good recommendation, but I kept it a big secret, ish, and I suppose you can try to find ways to, until you can build self confidence and gather support. You might find some future friends at cons, too. It's a long process to get others to understand anything they don't, but slowly with work put in is worth it in the end. I lead multiple lives
Your dad saying he failed as a parent if he catches you at a con is pretty extreme, I'd even say he'd fail as a parent if he didn't let you try experiences and learn a bit more. If they're worried about cost, it's your financial responsibility, and you are learning on your own, so they can't always expect to control what you spend. You won't survive in the real world if you aren't allowed to make mistakes while you are still very young to learn from. It's also an investment of sorts for you, socially and emotionally. (Btw My mom is also strict on money spending x_x)

It's an unfortunate reality of a society we live in, but one shouldn't live in the dark forever. Snoop around for good supportive friends, or people who are willing to understand something different. You may live with unsupportive people but it won't be forever.

Also, if a future partner is against fursuiting, if you can't have them understand, then they not be for you. If they find it weird, as many people find other things strange, have them understand a little. You should also make sure they are comfortable with the idea before you consider partnering.
ScreenShot5714.jpg
30 Jun 2017, 4:00 pm
However, I am very concerned about what my anti-furry friends, and what they will do if they find out I have a fursuit. What if a future partner dislikes fursuiting, or finds fursuiting weird??

my main input here is: people like the ones you're describing aren't worth your time. ESPECIALLY a future partner. like really, anyone who disrespects or makes fun of things you're really into isn't good for you and it usually implies they're probably gonna disrespect you in other ways! you deserve friends and partners who support you even if they don't completely relate to your harmless interests!

I spent awhile, mostly throughout high school, distancing myself a bit from the fandom largely because I didn't want to worry about people not understanding or making fun of it. now I'm completely enthusiastically participating again and I kind of regret all that lost time that could have been spent building up more relationships within the fandom and improving at my middle school hobby of fursuit making. I say try your best to keep yourself from not doing something, if your only reasoning is that you're afraid what people will think. sure, there are times when you don't need to speak up about it - for example, I try to refrain from letting my coworkers catch on that I'm a furry because everyone loves to gossip and I don't wanna make my work environment stressful - but the closest/most important people in your life should be OK with it.

I can't relate to having parents who are anti-fursuiting, but I understand that would be stressful. if possible, you could avoid letting them know the true cost of the item if you're afraid they'd be mad. if it's YOUR money, they shouldn't need to know. might be best to generally avoid talking to them about it at all and just enjoying your fursuit in peace. unless there would be big consequences to them finding out (for example, financial support, housing, or something similarly important being cut off), I think you should just allow yourself to enjoy your hobbies and not get too worried about your parents' opinions. most important thing is that you're safe and having fun and not hurting anyone.

if it's finances you're worried about, and it's too late to cancel the commission, remember you can always try to re-sell your suit in the future if need be. ultimately fursuiting is really fun and it sounds to me like you're gonna enjoy having a suit, so I encourage you to stay excited about it!
30 Jun 2017, 4:06 pm
I don't really know.. I mean if getting a fur suit means ruining your life then I wouldn't. But yet again it might not even ruin your life. If you really want to then go ahead, but if I were you I would wait and find out if it's ok with parents and friends.
30 Jun 2017, 4:18 pm
DreamCat

Trust me, that's my family as well... My family has gone as far as to tell me to never go to furry conventions and to never tell whoever I date that I'm a furry. It's really bad. I feel like I might just buy a fursuit without their consent... I've even shown them a furry PowerPoint, but they're still highly against furries. It sucks a lot.

Sounds like all of my family. My sister never used to mind furries until she started hanging around certain people at her school, infact she used to identify as one. Now she constantly makes hateful jokes about them, she never approved of fursuiting though and said it was "going too far". My parents were always disgusted by it because of what they say in the media, until I explained to them what it actually was. It's still a bit of a touchy subject with them (among other things involving me). My brother gets everything he knows about furries from my sister, though I've been trying to inform him that that's not what a furry is.
ArtShop--AdoptableShop--CommissionThread

This User Knows Things/Furvilla Meme Thread/Info

Just Look At This Amazingly Wonderful, Beautiful thing~! (Not by me.)
30 Jun 2017, 4:29 pm
well, i can definitely help on the partner bit.

my partner is not a furry. he's not exactly for nor against, but he's more on the "no, i don't like them" side of it. and i am a pretty big furry. i've expressed wanting to make a fursuit, and his immediate response was "no, i couldn't stand to look at you in it."

i've done a lot of pressing on the matter. i truly want a fursuit, or at least a partial. and it's taken a bit, but i've gotten him from "absolutely not" to "only because it's you, i'll accept it." it takes time and consideration on both sides, as well as a lot of communication.

being in a relationship with a non-furry is never going to be easy, but if they truly love you for you, then they'll eventually accept who you are and what you want to do. never bend yourself to anyone else's will or desire; you'll regret it later on.

i hope that helped in some way!
╭━━━━━━━━━━♔━━━━━━━━━━╮
Veemo//(he/they)//21//services// need help?
yc5fve3b
╰━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━╯
nx5na99
i used to be kankri! ping me using @81311!
FV Help Guide | Chris and Rotsy's Guide