Feedback on my first fursuit? (Large images!)

25 Mar 2018, 12:03 am (Edited 25 Mar 2018, 1:12 am)
I lied this is my 3rd fursuit but it's my first I hope to actually finish

Nyello, I've recently decided to try building a fursuit of my fursona and need some feedback on my concepts! I've attempted to make 2 fursuits previously and both ended pretty disastrously (to be fair i was like 13) and they haven't been finished. Its now like 3 years or something later and its time for me to make another damn attempt because I never quit.

I assume the issues in my previous suits were from poor planning and little to no research but to be safe I want to get some feedback on the supplies I'm using, concepts, and other things, to make sure it turns out nicely!

In short; me was dumb baby attempted to make 2 suits failed miserably now me is older and slightly less dumb baby and is attempting for a 3rd time please help me

So I have everything pretty much planned out at this point;
watermark1_by_charmlly-dc6uyhh.png
(The ears will have foam in them ignore that one note. Also, the felt backing of the eyes will be the same shape as the whites, with a hole for the pupil, so i can see out of them, i just forgot to add that on the diagram oops!)
I'm making the head out of 1/2" and 3" inch foam using the bucket head method. I'm using fleece to fur the face, mouth, hands, and tail, and I'm using a short woolly faux fur to fur the back of the head and neck. I'm planning to use a thin stretchy material to line the inside of the head, but I still need to go to a fabric store to buy that. The eyes are going to be made with felt, plastic and mesh.
watermark2_by_charmlly-dc6uyh8.png
The tail will be fleece as well. The base of the tail will be glued to a piece of plastic and have elastic sewed onto it for attaching to a belt.
watermark3_by_charmlly-dc6uygx.png
The hands are made out of fleece and mitten-like, so only 2 "fingers", and they will go up to slightly below my elbows.

That's about it, this is a mini partial so I'm only doing head, hands and a tail right now. Hopefully, I didn't overwhelm anyone with all this information! I just really want this to turn out nicely~
charliefinal_by_boardle-dcaxexl.gif

Deviant art . Youtube
call me charlie
my home village is foxbury

25 Mar 2018, 12:14 am
when i made mine, i had no guidance. i had no teaching, no advice. i just made it based on what i had pictured in my mind and nothing else. this is how it turned out. granted i had already misplaced the paws in that picture.

i made the mistake of making the head out of waffle mesh and duct tape, so use foam. it's lighter and more breathable. for your paws (or hooves as it seems), make them at least twice the width of your hand. that way you can freely stretch your fingers out to pick things up, or to just move them properly.

stitch the tail directly to the suit, don't use a loop. it will fall off. just make a second separate one with a loop for wearing the partial suit, so you can hook it onto your pants.

as for the eyes, line the inner sockets with thin waffle mesh, then use markers to draw in the colors of the eyes. if you use fabric or resin, you will not be able to see out of them.

hope this helps!
I make custom painties!!! shoot me a message to get yours~ there is no set price, only a donation! pay what you think is fair!!!
25 Mar 2018, 1:08 am
when i made mine, i had no guidance. i had no teaching, no advice. i just made it based on what i had pictured in my mind and nothing else. this is how it turned out. granted i had already misplaced the paws in that picture.

i made the mistake of making the head out of waffle mesh and duct tape, so use foam. it's lighter and more breathable. for your paws (or hooves as it seems), make them at least twice the width of your hand. that way you can freely stretch your fingers out to pick things up, or to just move them properly.

stitch the tail directly to the suit, don't use a loop. it will fall off. just make a second separate one with a loop for wearing the partial suit, so you can hook it onto your pants.

as for the eyes, line the inner sockets with thin waffle mesh, then use markers to draw in the colors of the eyes. if you use fabric or resin, you will not be able to see out of them.

hope this helps!

Thank you very much for this advice!

Deviant art . Youtube
call me charlie
25 Mar 2018, 1:31 am
sounds good so far, i cant wait to see how it turns out ! (if ur gonna be showing pics of it) all of my suits that ive made have been rushed so i know how you feel lol
what kind of plastic will you be using? :o
25 Mar 2018, 1:44 am
off topic kinda but why is charlie extremely adorable?!
I just want to cuddle her ;w;
just a lost kitten ♡ senpai_by_drawn_mario-dbj19tm.gif
25 Mar 2018, 1:32 pm
Graffiti
I'll probably post some pictures, just gotta remember to take them haha.

I don't know if the type of plastic has a name but its the type most suit makers use (at least to my knowledge). It's thin, opaque, and used to make like plastic bowls and stuff?

Love
Aw, thank you!

Deviant art . Youtube
call me charlie
25 Mar 2018, 9:02 pm
Bump!

Deviant art . Youtube
call me charlie
26 Mar 2018, 4:09 pm
Bump~

Lil update; Ive gotten all the supplies for the suit so im onto making it now! I'll post WIPs here occasionally if anyone is interested.

Deviant art . Youtube
call me charlie