My "Fursuit" Progress

23 Jul 2018, 3:49 pm (Edited 22 Oct 2018, 4:50 pm)
This thread will be used for updates on my work in progress kenku cosplay. It's basically a fursuit, so I figured why not!

I'm currently creating a "fursuit" or feather suit in this case to use at various local cons and fairs! It's going to be my DnD character, a kenku. I've concepted a bit about what I want her to wear, but that's the part I'm stuck on; however when I finally decide I have a friend who is very handy at sewing so we'll see when the time comes! OvO
JN6Pnnu.png

tumblr_inline_pcnh9nu25S1w5u85y_540.png

Plugging this here in case I forget to update this thread. It is myself and a good friends WIP cosplaying tumblr. :>

Check out the user who made the tutorials I'm following for a good chunk of this costume! Rah-Bop on tumblr. She is beyond helpful and has answered so many questions, in addition to the tutorials.

Pinglist
WarriorMaiden Treble_da_Doggo TreeTurtles Lime-dragons-lick MeloNeko Poofycats Supreme sciencesparrow Portal0Demon Spores Fire_V-Raptor Spyromancy Little_World Manokit Varinis Honeebunny Christovski Silverpelt60 Candycat77024 MeatieMeats lovelandfrog BlazingFlre Julian-S-Black Ghosteez Diam0ndUn1c0rn deerSkullz NotVeryAttractive Pyon Taffypaws MystRunner AllThingsBright PeachFox Rotsuoy Hazama wolfyyoyogamer Akatsuki Steampunk_Llama Hancets Squirrel Ragzoti Casper_Ringtail BlackBearBow TropicalMew noll Leafeon1010 Hazardous-Axel CosmicGelatin Hopeless_Soul CptnCatastrophic Kiwi_Bandit Peachfaced LackeyLion Pandorose CyberneticCaballus CarelessSoul Pericci TigTigrou Pichi2214 AquaticMercenary Galra bitsiespider Gilda Saeran TransBlackSheep MaiseKawaii OakOwl Imtheaura Media GlitchyTwitch Glitched_Memories tigerstripes175 kankri _jack_leopard_ candyiguana spiritwolf100 Qpo Lykos PoIarized
10083499_sdkgxKq3Br8doOc.gif

24 Jul 2018, 12:07 pm
It's usually upholstery foam! There's different densities (which affects how squishy/soft it is), I think, and they come in different colors, but in general it's largely the same stuff. You should be able to get it at any major fabric stores you live near.

The other kind of foam you might see used for smaller applications is EVA foam; it comes in a few different thicknesses, but it's generally thin sheets and often goes by the names 'craft foam' or 'foamies'. It's not usually used for building heads, but can be used for toony eyes or inside as lining.

There's a lot of tutorials and materials lists out there--they're the main way I know anything bout this stuff myself XD I hope that helped!
27 Jul 2018, 3:19 pm
Thanks Nebulonyx ! I ended up finding a casted base to use, that fits what I want. It'll take a little extra finagling, but will ultimately pull off the look I'm going for. I have on hand some of the anti-fatigure mats (aka EVA foam) for the feet I'm making.

28 Jul 2018, 12:32 am
BeakyBirds Ah, I'm glad you found something that will work! Good luck with your suit!
29 Jul 2018, 6:13 pm
tumblr_pcngggXarc1xbdcnvo2_1280.jpg
tumblr_pcngggXarc1xbdcnvo3_1280.jpg
tumblr_pcngggXarc1xbdcnvo1_1280.jpg

Saturday I spent a ton of time working on carving some feet out of anti-fatigue mats (or EVA foam). After a few minor mishaps, I think they're ready for the dremel. I'll shape them out, and hopefully have the entire foot done by the weekend.

29 Jul 2018, 6:13 pm
*subscribes*
He/Him|Georgia,USA
Currently 17yo
Icon by: flashwolf & Vista by: buffalo
INTP-T
29 Jul 2018, 6:23 pm
Oh nice! I tried making a D&D character but it didn't turn out well tho. I hope that you do good! :3
wxKzDb4.jpg?4
29 Jul 2018, 6:29 pm
BeakyBirds
I absolutely adore this! My Bf has a Kenku character, they're so much fun!!
I'm gonna subscribe to this thread, i cant wait to see it come to life!!
Also, i really like the outfit it has on in the art, i'd probably go with that myself!
29 Jul 2018, 8:18 pm
Delereia I'm not sure if you've seen it but I'm using rah-bop's tutorials on how she made her. She's so open and friendly about it, and is super encouraging even if you were to copy it hand in hand. OvO'''

29 Jul 2018, 9:17 pm
BeakyBirds
oh yes! I've seen that suit before, it looks so good! I didn't know they had a tutorial... That's awesome! :D
29 Jul 2018, 9:18 pm
BeakyBirds
oh yes! I've seen that suit before, it looks so good! I didn't know they had a tutorial... That's awesome! :D

Yes! The head I had to do a ton of research on, but otherwise there's a lot of quality things they teach. I'll be working on feathers during my "free" days. Going to need so many of them. xD

29 Jul 2018, 9:18 pm
BEETS!!!!

cUxxbyg.png
29 Jul 2018, 9:22 pm
BeakyBirds
Oh i can't imagine how many feathers you will need... yikes!! I thought sewing the fur onto my worgen head was bad xD
I just looked at the eyelid tutorial, i've never seen something like that before. so cool!!
29 Jul 2018, 9:25 pm
BeakyBirds
Oh i can't imagine how many feathers you will need... yikes!! I thought sewing the fur onto my worgen head was bad xD
I just looked at the eyelid tutorial, i've never seen something like that before. so cool!!

RIGHT? It's so unique and fun! OvO I'm shy if I'm not in costume, so this will ultimately be so much fun for me. I can glare at people in the suit too, it's like a dream come true.

Saeran SO MANY BEETS

29 Jul 2018, 9:27 pm
BeakyBirds
Right?? I havent gotten to wear my furheads too often, but i have so much fun when i do. I Feel like i can be myself and not feel as awkward... haha
and seeing people's reactions is so much fun! Especially the kids xD
29 Jul 2018, 9:28 pm
BeakyBirds
Right?? I havent gotten to wear my furheads too often, but i have so much fun when i do. I Feel like i can be myself and not feel as awkward... haha
and seeing people's reactions is so much fun! Especially the kids xD

I have about a month and a half to complete this (so it's going to be moderately rushed, but I'm hoping to put the same amount of care into in, nonetheless). I'm going to a ren fair near me, and the KIDS are going to love it. I can just be a flapping dork, it's grand.

29 Jul 2018, 9:32 pm
BeakyBirds
yes! that will be so much fun! My worgen head was rushed for a con too, i think i got him finished up like.... less than a week beforehand.. heh. so you got this!!
I keep missing the ren faire near me, but i really want to go to one dressed up as my worgen. some day!! :,D
29 Jul 2018, 9:36 pm (Edited 29 Jul 2018, 9:36 pm)
*slams door open* Pinglist please!!! XD
I came. I saw. I...forgot what I was doing.
29 Jul 2018, 9:40 pm
Delereia Eeee that's awesome. I'm lucky to have a friend who works at the fair so as long as I help promote so of the shops within the fairgrounds, I can go in for free. ;)

WarriorMaiden I can make one of those. ;P

29 Jul 2018, 9:44 pm
BeakyBirds
ohhh, i'm jealous xD
Ren faires are my favorite!! Something has come up the past 2 faires and it kills me :I
I've always wanted to work the faire though, i think i would love it.
I cant wait to see your kenku birb all finished!!
29 Jul 2018, 9:45 pm
Hey! Could I be added to the pinglist please if you don't mind?
He/Him|Georgia,USA
Currently 17yo
Icon by: flashwolf & Vista by: buffalo
INTP-T
29 Jul 2018, 10:29 pm
tumblr_pcnt1aHrST1xbdcnvo2_r1_500.png
tumblr_pcnt1aHrST1xbdcnvo3_r1_1280.png

Treble_da_Doggo WarriorMaiden This update is for the memes. My claws finished baking, and my boyfriend laughed as I told him I was going to go "paint my nails". Thus my lame meme was born. xD

29 Jul 2018, 10:34 pm
PINGLIST AAAA
INEEDMOREBIRDSUITSINMYLIFE
D i n g u s
PFP By - s-deadx On DA
29 Jul 2018, 10:37 pm
Pinglist please ^w^
14373415_3lPSJr4FGrcqDcR.png
feel free to message me or send me a friend request
signifur by puck
29 Jul 2018, 10:43 pm