clay fursuit?

25 Dec 2018, 6:51 am
so, I have a fursona named porcelain, who is a porcelain rabbit doll. I'm going to make her fursuit myself, probably after I get practice as I'v never made one, and was wondering about the head. She's going to have fluffy ears and feet (like some porcelain rabbit dolls) but her head I was planing to make out of clay, because she has two forms, normal and cracked. but I'm now worried about weight. I know scull suits (fursuits w/ the face as a scull, sometimes plush sometimes clay or whatever the maker chooses) sometimes use clay, but the clay is on one part not the whole head. Any advice is appreciated thank you !

26 Dec 2018, 8:31 pm
this sounds like a really cool concept! honestly i'd advise against going with clay of any kind, because its going to make the mask extremely heavy and brittle, which could be dangerous if it breaks. What kind of clay were you thinking of using, out of curiosity ? :o

i know most masks use a resin cast for that kind of thing , but i know that is a lot of work and i have no idea how that stuff works or how one obtains it lol ;w; it wouldnt hurt to use clay if its just going to be on the front of the face, just be prepared for it to be heavy and possibly breaking (would also get very hot likely)

i think your best bet would be buying (or making, if you have the resources) a resin rabbit fursuit base and painting/editing it to look like your character, perhaps using something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoVkT6xGUOE IDK, i'm no expert in this stuff !
3 Jan 2019, 10:14 am
You might also look into thermoplastics--plastic you can heat and then shape! I think Worbla's one of the bigger brands, but there are others, and some have different finishes and properties that might work for what you're going for. You might still use clay to act as a mold you can then heat the plastic over to get the right shape--but the plastic will give you the smooth look while being way more durable and lightweight ^^
3 Jan 2019, 10:23 am (Edited 3 Jan 2019, 10:29 am)
If you're deadset on using "clay" then I recommend paper clay. It is easy to work with and dries to be very lightweight. Plus, it takes on paint and sealant very nicely. It would be very fragile though.

You can get a clay appearance with cast resin, too though, and it would be far more durable.

edit:: I've seen some incredible things done with cardboard. There's also the possibility of making a base "skull" with cardboard and giving it a paper clay surface which would be sturdier than just the clay on its own.
3 Jan 2019, 10:32 am
If you absolutely must use clay, as BK said I'd go with paper clay, it's super light.

I'd personally suggest using resin, although if you use resin you have to be very careful while working with it, it it toxic before curing I'm pretty sure.

★Manitka★#91133★she/he/they★19★

mwahahahaha.png

3 Jan 2019, 11:53 am
I highly, highly, HIGHLY do not recommend clay! It's heavy, fragile, and generally uncomfortable! I'd suggest resin and then painting it (or paper clay like BK said)! But don't take BK's advice for cardboard. Cardboard is one of the worst things you can make a fursuit head out of. Your sweat and other body fluids will make the cardboard wet, which in turn will cause black mold to form, which is very unsafe!

If you don't know how to work with resin, you can always buy from DVC! I've linked their page on resin bunny heads!

I think you had a great idea though! I'd love to see Porcelain or your suit whenever you get around to making it!
james | he/they | 16 | 9/19 | a clothespin | +1 fv time | #108217

tumblr_oz4ir96Wbi1wqylmxo1_500.gif?width
3 Jan 2019, 12:00 pm
i don't know much about fursuiting, so others, feel free to tell me its not good, but personally, for my own custom masks, i use cardboard and papier mache!

once you get a good foundation into the base made of cardboard, you can use sandpaper to smooth it out [when its dry and hardened ofc]

you do however have to plan ahead for extra's, if you dont have access to drills or such bc trying to cut through it is a pain
Sen ¤ He/Him ¤ 18 ¤ Is Actually The Entire Forest
ezgif_com_resize_by_r0b1tr0b0t-db8tpv3.g
gif by @Sirdeerinstein
3 Jan 2019, 12:12 pm
I have made masks before with this clay. I like to line the inside of the mask with velvet so its more comfortable to wear.
[Url]https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Clay-Molding-Sculpting/Clay/White-Hearty-Super-Lightweight-Modeling-Clay/p/27476?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkJ-c75nS3wIVhrbACh26qgA-EAQYAyABEgID__D_BwE[[/url]
Want Art for only 100 tY1FbIM.gif? Click Here!
jz4VuHw.gif
17 Feb 2019, 5:41 pm
idly wandering forum posts.

for the love of all things furry. DO NOT USE CARDBOARD IN FURSUITS.
i've been in the fandom for over 10 years do not use it!
it is a beginner's mistake, and you will have to remake the mask a year later. I've also personally worked with papiermache and it doesn't hold up well either and is more brittle.
best materials for masks are either resin or foam Walmart carries rolls of foam in the craft section that is easy to use.
other tips? Sew your fur don't glue it together! glue to foam base yes, but sew the pieces together it will look better.

http://pupdates.matrices.net/post/51490538463/tutorial-building-a-fursuit-head-with-foam here's a good tutorial

http://matrices.net/tutorials.htm
here's more tutorials.
25 Mar 2019, 10:34 am
from my very very beginners worth of experience, resin is a pain to work with if you don't have the right tools. You'll need to make a mould that's waterproof and a place where you can cure your resin. The fumes from resin are super stinky and toxic so you have to have ventilation in the room or have a sheltered area where the weather won't get to it. Resin is good for solid durable pieces but probably not worth it if you only want to make one piece
jhdUcrV.gif
__• FV for FR
__• HQ cute art commissions open