lets talk dog training !!!!

25 Aug 2019, 8:36 pm
im a certified dog trainer of two years and i wanna know who else loves training puppos :> we can exchange ideas and methods.
i mainly focus on basic obedience, but one of the pups in my class will be taking the cgc test soon im so proud

25 Aug 2019, 8:44 pm
ahh I'm a beginner at training (first dog I've ever raised alone) but my dog loves to do tricks! She only knows basic ones, like sit, stay, spin, sit pretty, paw, and lie down. :') we're working on recall and roll-over right now. Little hot dog pieces and cheapo dog treats (which I try not to give her) are super high value rewards for her.

What would you suggest (as someone more practiced than myself) for trying to win out against a stubborn beagle nose? Once we get outside her nose hits the ground and I'm pretty much invisible. She has to be on a leash at all times outside because she can't be trusted lol
17996216_RD1dI9m1tiX6M7o.gif?1574352917
art by lunarlicorice of my beloved Noodle :')
25 Aug 2019, 8:53 pm
Relic said:
ahh I'm a beginner at training (first dog I've ever raised alone) but my dog loves to do tricks! She only knows basic ones, like sit, stay, spin, sit pretty, paw, and lie down. :') we're working on recall and roll-over right now. Little hot dog pieces and cheapo dog treats (which I try not to give her) are super high value rewards for her.

What would you suggest (as someone more practiced than myself) for trying to win out against a stubborn beagle nose? Once we get outside her nose hits the ground and I'm pretty much invisible. She has to be on a leash at all times outside because she can't be trusted lol

ooo beagle !!!! how cute ;; thats one bab i actually haven't gotten to work with yet (ive worked with lots of gsheps, goldens, and mixes). little hot dog pieces, basically anything high value like that, is an AWESOME way to grab her attention. i guess my suggestion would be, if you haven't already, try and "wean" her off treats for the behaviors she's already rlly good at~ generally i do this for sit first because pups usually learn that one in the beginning. save using the treats, and especially high value ones, for situations where it's harder to grab your dog's focus. i usually suggest basic treats for obedience + working in your home or a more controlled area, and then rlly high value treats for training outside (since it is SUPER distracting for many dogs). id save a certain kind of treat to JUST use when u go outside! and when you work on all the behaviors she does rlly well, maybe start giving her a treat every other time if you're treating every single time :> also ! do you use a clicker at all? that also might help with focus outside~ hopefully that helped a little hehe that was a lot to type
25 Aug 2019, 9:07 pm
I do not love training doggos but I know one very important thing about dog training.

It doesn't work if the human/s aren't trained to go through and pay attention to all the classes in the course. Shout out to my Gran and Sis who just did not ever finish the courses.

Dog's pretty well behaved from what I taught her though.
Former AnonFairy Existentialism (I was until people started making and releasing villagers with bad CSS... Ruin my fun why don't ya'll)
WiwPM2N.gif
25 Aug 2019, 9:16 pm
I do not love training doggos but I know one very important thing about dog training.

It doesn't work if the human/s aren't trained to go through and pay attention to all the classes in the course. Shout out to my Gran and Sis who just did not ever finish the courses.

Dog's pretty well behaved from what I taught her though.

ur exactly correct! and what's hard is that im tied to working in a pet store ;; i cant go to people's houses to train (which tbh...id be scared to do anyways ;;). but ive had, unfortunately, lots of people in my classes who just did NOT follow thru with the training when they went home...and some just ghosted me and never came back for the rest of the classes..... how i see it is if you're not prepared to train and work with your dog, you should not have a dog.
sometimes people act like their dogs are just objects....they get them for the sheer fact of "having a dog". the worst thing for me to see is that people will make sure their human child is healthy and eating the right food, but when it comes to their dog they'd rather try and find the "cheapest" option. again.....you should think of your dog like your child. feed and take care of them :/ (sorry i went kind of off topic a lil)

im glad you taught her right tho!!! i believe any dog can improve, even if they didn't get /the best/ training from the start...but its always important to give them a good start !
25 Aug 2019, 9:33 pm
nerd said:

im glad you taught her right tho!!! i believe any dog can improve, even if they didn't get /the best/ training from the start...but its always important to give them a good start !

I wish I could say i trained her well but nope. I'm not sure how I managed to train her anything with how my Gran and Sis spoiled her but maybe it's because I spoiled her first?

.-. I love my fam but... you don't bring a shih tzu puppy home and put it as far from people as possible for the night. I spoiled that tiny lil puppy by sleeping with her every night. In my bed. I trained her to just sleep in the bed with me. and then somehow to pee on pee pads and to go when I got home and to get up on a chair so Gran doesn't have to bend down to put her leash on. And do the hind leg spins. Lil adorable devil she is. XD
Former AnonFairy Existentialism (I was until people started making and releasing villagers with bad CSS... Ruin my fun why don't ya'll)
WiwPM2N.gif
25 Aug 2019, 11:13 pm
I just started trying to train my dog (even though it's a little too late for them so it makes it much more difficult)

but i think dog training is hella funky fresh and fun and I hope to improve in later years

16 | ♂ | Arizona | -1 Furvilla Time | Certified Demon King

67ef07136d31b99ec92e82090550c1b4.gif
25 Aug 2019, 11:24 pm
I just started trying to train my dog (even though it's a little too late for them so it makes it much more difficult)

but i think dog training is hella funky fresh and fun and I hope to improve in later years

thats awesome :D it is harder to train a dog later down the line for sure, but not impossible ~ this is a lil random but i love this one youtube account that trains dogs,,,they train working/protection dogs, but they have a lot of good videos just for basic obedience and ofc they do positive reinforcement training ! https://www.youtube.com/user/k91dogtraining/videos
25 Aug 2019, 11:26 pm
nerd yeah, also i'll surely be checking out the videos!

25 Aug 2019, 11:29 pm
nerd yeah, also i'll surely be checking out the videos!

i think they'll help u a lot :> i wish u lots of luck with your continued training,,dogs are so fun to work with
25 Aug 2019, 11:30 pm
nerd thank you, and indeed they are :D

25 Aug 2019, 11:34 pm
I trained up my german shepherd for service dog work, when she was 5 years old, about 4 years ago ^u^ She was a shelter rescue and one of the best behaved dogs I know, and she's the first dog I had that was all mine and first I'd trained
None-Gender with Left Beef
Any pronouns
Call me Chari ^u^

64bbab57-4b8e-11e7-b001-43aca7b05aec.gif
25 Aug 2019, 11:39 pm
I trained up my german shepherd for service dog work, when she was 5 years old, about 4 years ago ^u^ She was a shelter rescue and one of the best behaved dogs I know, and she's the first dog I had that was all mine and first I'd trained

oh congrats that's really really cool :D and gsheps are really nice to work with ,,,,super super smart and awesome service and working dogs. they definitely love to please :3
26 Aug 2019, 12:06 am
nerd said:

oh congrats that's really really cool :D and gsheps are really nice to work with ,,,,super super smart and awesome service and working dogs. they definitely love to please :3

Yep! She's such a sweetie and like, the best kind of smart-dumb mix. Gets most new commands really quick, but then will walk into a screen door XD
None-Gender with Left Beef
Any pronouns
Call me Chari ^u^

64bbab57-4b8e-11e7-b001-43aca7b05aec.gif
26 Aug 2019, 12:09 am
I've been training myself quite a bit lately! I know that sounds silly, but I don't have my dog yet, and I want to be ready!
It's been a few years since I've had a dog in my life, and I'm worried I'm rusty. I've been touching up on my techniques by studying dog trainers (both the trainer and their dog) online. I grew up with dogs, my mother having fostered cats and dogs growing up, and I started helping train cats and dogs when I was pretty young- around 13 or 14. I've been looking for a service dog candidate for quite some time and plan to owner train under the guide of a certified trainer. I'm very excited because I finally got approved for a very good candidate! I'm just trying hard not to get too excited. It will be a week before he can be transported to me. I can't start public access or task training until we pass the cgc test, and it'll be about a half a year (he's six months old) before I can even call the pup a SDiT. I've been told that my excitement and my readiness and willingness to train is a good thing, but I keep worrying about pushing both him and myself too hard. I have a list of commands ready, broken into digestible chunks, and I plan to journal out my progress, as recommended by the trainer I've been in contact with. That way I will know if I'm pacing myself, and I'll be able to see if we're behind on anything. I owner trained my cat to assist me with panic attacks and night terrors at home, so I'm confident I can do the same thing with a dog. I just worry about literally everything. OTL

As far as methods go, I'm very fond of clicker training. I've always felt like it was like a 'magic button' for communicating with dogs when used correctly. Even cats respond to them surprisingly well! Really though, any food motivated animal that knows that click means they get a cookie is going to respond well to them! Lots of people say that clickers are crutches, but I feel like that's a lot of hooey. You can slowly phase out the clicker over time as long as you have solid commands. I'm also a firm believer in listening to the animals as much as you demand they listen to you. Very few animals react 'with no warning'. It's just a matter of learning their body language and understanding what it means over time!

If you have any advice or encouragement I would absolutely love to hear it! Even just a general guide of things you personally look for with cgc tests would be very helpful!
NJ5dWJ5q2Xt8HcP2ovwxvxWmaCntPc
yahFKa
❤ I am not a mod, but I'm here to help! ❤