Moving Ear Mechanism; But Fur Too Heavy

24 Mar 2020, 6:28 am
Hello! So, as the title says, I was making a fursuit head. Labrador Retriever, for a Beastars cosplay. I wanted to be able to lift the ears up, and came up with a simple mechanism to do so.
A fishing line attached to the 'front' part of the ear goes around the support of the ear. By pulling on the end of it, it drags the front part of the ear along with it.

It worked fine, but now, because of the fur, instead of lifting up, it just drags the front part closer to the support.

Do you have any tips on how to stop this from happening? Or should I use another system?
I haven't sown the ear-fur to the rest of the head fur. So don't worry about that part.
I'm Dragon/Croc, They/Them, xe/xem, it/its! SAvatar by me Signature... Is a crocodile.
AroAce, my avatar is my fursona. It's a crocmodo dragon!
Trying to return to furvilla after a long time away. Currently a bit beffudled!
And remember kids! Remember to make your paintie transparent before you send them over! Don't be like me, a buffoon!✓
w8smgyh26ch21.png

1 Apr 2020, 8:17 am
Hm. Perhaps switch from having it fully furred to being more of a felt/minky with fur just as areas to blend it in in some parts?

I'm not completely sure, though, I'd have to see a picture first of it.
Sweet As Sugar
Cold As Ice
»»————- ☠ ————-««
Hurt Me Once
I'll Kill You Twice
1 Apr 2020, 8:53 am
I'm not sure if I'd be much help but a pic or schematic might help visualize the issues.
When the new stuff gets old, go back to the old and find something new!
-Compilationguy in509H9.png
2 Apr 2020, 2:56 pm (Edited 2 Apr 2020, 3:25 pm)
I drew these ones to explain to some friends seeking help.
https://imgur.com/sHXDoch
How it should work...
https://imgur.com/NohXKWp
And how it's working.

Also, FlamingPsycho, I suppose that's something I'll consider; but tje fur i have is really the only fabric I could find in a reachable radius. I've nevee seen minky being sold, and the felt i have isnt really apropriate. Thank you either way!
I'm Dragon/Croc, They/Them, xe/xem, it/its! SAvatar by me Signature... Is a crocodile.
And remember kids! Remember to make your paintie transparent before you send them over! Don't be like me, a buffoon!✓
w8smgyh26ch21.png
2 Apr 2020, 3:05 pm
If you have a wire brush, you can brush felt to have a fur-like appearance. As long as you don't go too deep.

Instead of having it go around the radius of the ear, maybe add a third string that goes over the top? That might help pull it upwards.
[url=][img[/img][/url]
2 Apr 2020, 3:32 pm
Ah, I didn't know about the felt! Thank you for that info, though the problem with the felt I have is that it's either purple or bright pink, not really white-beige like the fur.

A third string could help! I'll try it tomorrow, and add the results back here.

As for... Developments over here, now the string of the left ear digs into the foam without even having the fur on top. I think the string changed place inside of the "corridor" and now won't work.
I'm pondering whether it's a question of force per area; if the force was spread over a larger area of the ear "hinge", it would fix it?
I'll edit this post tomorrow with actual pictures of the head.
w8smgyh26ch21.png