Need Help Pricing My Art

7 May 2020, 1:16 pm
(Hopefully this is in the right forum)

Hi! So I plan on opening commissions once I'm more confident in my art and stop being so unmotivated all the time. Only problem is that my fullbodies are priced at $3 (300k FC/300 FD) and my friends keep telling me to raise my prices but I'm not sure what I should price them at. I'm self taught and have been drawing digitally since 2011. Here's some recent examples of my art.

ddm4mps-97a4f40e-893d-4c8f-95ad-8e551041

ddltans-68eeedf4-ac19-4310-9342-1eac8a42

ddtm06f-b56bb95f-dc7b-4eb0-b1b1-1154bfd4

So what do you guys think? What should I price my headshots, halfbodies, and fullbodies at?
1EcPJjR.png » Katie • She/Her • Digital Artist « nkOnSpH.png

18878422_7YH9LaFxfIb5R7B.png

7 May 2020, 5:03 pm
OH MY GOD

I agree with your friends! Your art is worth a lot more than 3 dollars!
~~~^Alekzy needs your help!^~~~
Check Morphie's Aercids!
---
Owner of the closed species: Ficans. Anunis, and Etts!

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* Certified Dumbass *:・゚✧*:・゚✧
7 May 2020, 5:46 pm
At least $15/1500FD for fullbodies imo. I sadly can't afford USD, but would probably pay up to 2500FD for a fullbody :3
puck%232184%5Bfv%5Dhoneypuckle%5Bda%5D%5
7 May 2020, 5:47 pm (Edited 7 May 2020, 5:49 pm)
OH MY GOSH! Your art is wonderful! My following advice is done based off personal experience and seeing my friends commission prices. All amounts are USD guesstimate., and I am not an expert! I honestly think the following prices I listed might be lowballing you.

This is if you don't really have an established following:
I personally charge 20 for headshots, 30 for waist up, and 45 for fullbodies. I think you could easily do more than this! I don't have a established following (just doing stuff for friends), but If I were you, in my experience seeing styles and how much people charge, you should charge 30 for a headshot, 40 for waist up, and 55 for a fullbody AT LEAST. Charge 20-25+ for backgrounds depending on complexity. Charge at least 25 or more for extra characters. That said, the gorgeous piece you have with the two characters with the phone could easily be worth 100 dollars. Keep in mind the community you're in as well: furries buying art tend to be generous af. That said, even disregarding furry community generosity, this is baseline. This work is so emotive and gorgeous! Look at that SHADING.

3 dollars is way, WAY TOO LOW. OH my gosh. Please charge at least the amounts I listed: your work is positively gorgeous! Keep in mind art is a luxury good, and your proportions, emotive poses, and fluidity of your linework? Slay me and don't even get me started on how much I love your coloring! GET IT!

Edit: if you get nervous with the prices I listed, keep in mind you can also offer different prices for coloring complexity! Sketches, doodling style, defined linework with flat colors, full shaded and defined piece as well! That said: your art is wonderful. I love it!!!!
9 May 2020, 11:40 am
wHOOPS I thought I was subscribed to this thread haha.

Askata StrayChowChow Maru

Thank you all so so much for your advice! I've been under-pricing myself for years now and I was always afraid to raise my prices. I have over 100 watchers on Deviantart, over 30 on Tumblr, and over 200 on Instagram so I've built up a decent following (though keep in mind I started both Tumblr and Instagram in 2018 and recently moved Deviantart accounts). I had over 500 watchers on my old Deviantart account but moved accounts due to personal reasons and inactive watchers but I did get quite a lot of commissions due to my small prices and big following. I'll definitely raise my prices between the $10-50 range when I open them again and hopefully people will be interested. I know it'll take some time to get an audience but I'm so happy to see that people think my art is worth that much. <3

9 May 2020, 1:10 pm
Hell yeah! Your art is worth so much! <3
~~~^Alekzy needs your help!^~~~
Check Morphie's Aercids!
---
Owner of the closed species: Ficans. Anunis, and Etts!

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* Certified Dumbass *:・゚✧*:・゚✧
9 May 2020, 1:16 pm
Agreed whenever you show me what your drawing I go bazerik it’s so cute your style is amazing and can I just say that one with the telephone ON POINT I SAY ON POINT your a great artist don’t cheat your self out :)
help me please!

EEUtP.gif

3bJZW.gif

zDDPQ.gif

YIUh3.gif
9 May 2020, 1:18 pm
Sdog88

Ahh, thank you so much for the compliments! <3

9 May 2020, 2:37 pm
Np but you REALY need to change your prices honestly your head shots could sell for 45 dollars if you gained an even bigger audience !
help me please!

EEUtP.gif

3bJZW.gif

zDDPQ.gif

YIUh3.gif
9 May 2020, 2:37 pm
Np but you REALY need to change your prices honestly your head shots could sell for 45 dollars if you gained an even bigger audience !
help me please!

EEUtP.gif

3bJZW.gif

zDDPQ.gif

YIUh3.gif
9 May 2020, 2:40 pm
Sdog88

Ahh, gosh. $45 for a headshot seems like a lot but I'll probably price them in the $5-15 range. Thank you though! I definitely plan on raising my prices once I open my commissions.