A suit head question

28 Dec 2016, 4:58 pm
Hi!

Okay, so while looking into fursuit making, I decided that if I ever made one, I'd need a foam base for the head (I have no sculpting ability, sewing only). So I was looking at them, and... I don't get them??

Like, they all just seem to come as a foam lump. I sort of get that you're meant to hollow it to your head size, but even if I carved out some kind of hollow, there'd be no back to the head at all? Do fursuit heads not have backs to them? How do you fur the back part?

ALSO the front is closed up (cause again, solid foam lump) so how would you make the mouth opening for ventilation?? Just sorta take something sharp to it and slice off the bottom part of the face?

Basically I feel like I'm missing something obvious here. Like, there should be some kind of structure or something that the foam head is applied to (cause once you slice off the bottom face bit how do you reapply?). I've seen how suit heads are "normally" made, like by making some strange contraption that goes around your head and then you put foam on it and carve it, but I really don't see how the blank things work.

TL;DR how on earth do you make use of a foam head blank
siggy_by_cryptozoolo_by_princess_celesti

28 Dec 2016, 5:01 pm
I've never found foam lumps anywhere?? I use sheets of foam and layer them this stuff
2egq7PY
2eBjcno2eBjcno2eBjcno
|My Felting Shop|
If I didn't respond to you please ping me again!
28 Dec 2016, 5:04 pm
Choccie If you're talking about a foam base someone has pre-made, from what I've been able to tell a lot of them come all as one piece so that you can cut them and make adjustments as needed, then fix them to a balaclava base or whatever liner material you have in min. So yes, you'd carve out the back so that it was a comfortable fit for your own face and cut away the jaw so it sat where your chin is. I'm not entirely sure what you're asking about the back though. But I hope I've helped a bit at least. ^^'
HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE.
30 Dec 2016, 8:34 am
you have on a balaclava as said before, then you layer the mask with tape, mark out the separate fur patches, and then cut those out, sew them together, then glue them to the head.
Ping me if you want my attention / Ask me about Dinosaurs / INFP-T
1 Hour Ahead

23.jpg
30 Dec 2016, 3:10 pm
The best bet for getting the hood (back of head) pattern is to have a mannequin head to get measurements off of. You can buy a mannequin head or make your own out of whatever is lying around, just have to make sure the latter matches in measurement to your own head.
You would put the foam base on the mannequin then measure or tape pattern the open/back area.
You could add foam to the back of the head base if you want/ if it feels more secure to you that way, but you don't have to add foam n could just be fabric.

For the jaw you don't necessarily have to cut it completely off. You could cut the jaw line and add a wedge of foam in to keep it open. I would suggest hollowing out the muzzle for easier air access.
If you do cut the jaw completely off you can re-attach it with an elastic hinge, which might get a moving jaw, or simply fabric.

Feel free to ask more questions. I could go on forever on other options/ trouble shooting.