Do you judge people based on their icons?

21 Jan 2017, 3:06 pm
i know i kinda do..... like not necessarily in a "mean spirited" way, more in a way that makes me think whether or not i should feel intimidated by a person or not.

like, if someone has a profile picture of a character I know I generally tend to feel not intimidated by them at all.... like, oh, yeah this person knows the stuff i know, they're not scary.

but if someone has a picture of a character from a show/anime/etc that I dont recognize I tend to go a little "uh...", and I dont necessarily mean a character from a show I dont watch, I mainly mean a character Ive never really seen before/dont recognize their appearance.

when it comes to people with pictures of just animals, it kinda depends on the image quality.... if its a bad quality photo with lighting thats not v good i tend to be like "yeah theyre not scary." and same goes for certain good quality animal shots. I dont know how to explain which ones make me feel inferior omg.... i think it also depends on how theyre cropped and stuff.

anyone else judge based on profile pictures in a similar way?
i know people have to judge since its like.... what you see someone as lol, but do certain profile pictures make you feel more or less intimidated by a user?
b3weo6.gif
Tyler | 21 | INTJ | 6w5
⭐Art Blog⭐
Paintie Shop
Art Shop

21 Jan 2017, 3:08 pm (Edited 22 Jul 2018, 11:07 pm)

Dovah/Alley | 22 | ♀ | she/her | holosexual
bouncy%20ferret%20smaller_zpspgppzdzt.gi
You are perfect and I love you :)
21 Jan 2017, 3:09 pm
I know a few people around here have icons that are clipped from NSFW art and it makes me go "Eh".
>v>;;
21 Jan 2017, 3:10 pm
I usually don't really notice other people's icons - exept when they're unironically drawn very badly. Then I judge very hard.
mature-label-1348578462.png
21 Jan 2017, 3:10 pm
Yes, particularly on other sites with less strict rules. I'm not fond of sexual-like stuff, so when I see a headshot of the character blushing and face denoting "you-know-what" is happening, or if I see a profile pic that's more of certain other body parts, like the butt or breasts, then I know I probably want to stay away from that person.
Forget cookin' with fire, I'm roastin' marshmallows in Hell! I'll save you some!

Please, NEVER call me or my villagers a "they". Not only do I have no trans characters, so it doesn't ever apply, but it's generally grammatically incorrect.
21 Jan 2017, 3:11 pm
I hate to admit it honestly, bur yeah I get the exact same vibes from what you've mentioned. Though I guess it's alright since I can't really fix it either ^ ^;
• Carolin | 6+FV |Time | She/Her | INFJ | Taurus | Oceandome | #53304 •
✨ Give apolly0n a hug ✨
ecada3b1_a218_4dd5_ab26_2111949b23fe_by_
Formerly known as Sandfall (sorry if this causes confusion ;v;)
Icon by pedroinboxfort / Vista by genie
21 Jan 2017, 3:14 pm
Not really, an icon is just an icon at the end of the day, everyone has their own tastes. It does say a little about the person but I don't take it seriously.
PIXu6rC.gif
21 Jan 2017, 3:15 pm
My friends have outright said that I'll always be Cynthia from Pokemon in their minds because that's what avatar I happened to use first when we were on the same forum together. It's fine, one of my friends will always be Flannery in my mind for that exact reason. I also may have changed my icons to intimidating characters on purpose back when I was judging sprite contests...

Generally speaking someone's icon will give me a first impression, or mental image of their appearance, but even intimidating icons will stop being too intimidating once I get to know the person. Now bright cutesy icons where the person is a mean jerk? Now that throws me for a loop.
21 Jan 2017, 3:15 pm
idk if i really judge anyone by their icon tbh... but if im not fond of someone and i see someone with a similar icon i kinda side-eye them tbh fjfjnfkd

i hope people are incredibly intimidated by my icon tho
7_by_drunkdriver-dcwgao3.gif
21 Jan 2017, 3:17 pm
Xen said:
Not really, an icon is just an icon at the end of the day, everyone has their own tastes. It does say a little about the person but I don't take it seriously.
^ Pretty much this.
Please don't PM me unless it's about art that I've commissioned.
Private messages tend to make me an anxious mess and I really don't need that, especially right now.
Yes, I had to put this here too because people don't read profiles. I will block you if you PM me anyway. :/
21 Jan 2017, 3:20 pm
not really judging, but i forget who the person is if the icon changes
even though the name hasn't changed

i'm smart like that
21 Jan 2017, 3:23 pm
I don't judge people by their icons, but it's how I learn to recognize them before I get used to their username. Btw I don't believe I've met anyone else yet who has an Attack on Titan icon.
FireHawk, Ultra Cool Krazy Awesome Lazy Lord Of Universe (Ping senpai or you will not be noticed)

attack_on_titan__7_minutes_in_heaven___e
21 Jan 2017, 3:23 pm
I associate icons to usernames so when someone changes their icon I get confused. Other than that I don't think I judge? I hope I don't come across as intimidating ;v;

But I suppose when I see someone without an avatar / the default active paintie profile pic, I assume they're a newbie or don't care. I know this isn't true but it's definitely a preconceived notion of mine.
art shop | dA | toyhou.se
tumblr_p6q3l8cmLj1ry7oxoo1_400.gif
21 | she | infj
long live the reckless and the brave
i don't think i wanna be saved
my song has not been sung
so long live us
stream
21 Jan 2017, 3:24 pm
a little bit!
it's my first impression of a person, an image they chose to represent themselves with, there usually a bit of their personality in it ;w;

first impressions can be wrong and that initial bias can fade over time of course!  but icons definitely give me that first glimpse of a person.
9203899_HKyfmms8htbfv5F.png
da thtwitter

art by sugaryu
21 Jan 2017, 3:25 pm
I more so judge people by what they post and how they respond to different things.
But as for their avatars? Well, I have this thing where I automatically picture them as whatever their current avatar is, and when they change it, I get confused and think they've disappeared.
21 Jan 2017, 3:25 pm (Edited 21 Jan 2017, 3:26 pm)
I think the only judging i do based on icons is if its a character from a fandom im either not too into/was into a long time ago. Buts thats partly just because i get flashbacks of how trashy it is/was from what ive seen of it. i.e Homestuck, SU, Gravity Falls.... To bad its incredibly pricey to change my user, hah.

And also it just appears... unoriginal? Like, not necessarily saying you have to have an icon of your OC but its just not super duper expressive.
casey ☆ she/her ☆ artist ☆ AZ ☆ 17 ☆ kin
WLLEHCd.png
21 Jan 2017, 3:27 pm
Yes, particularly on other sites with less strict rules. I'm not fond of sexual-like stuff, so when I see a headshot of the character blushing and face denoting "you-know-what" is happening, or if I see a profile pic that's more of certain other body parts, like the butt or breasts, then I know I probably want to stay away from that person.

Haha, same, for the most part.
I get a weird vibe, but I don't dissmiss them as bad people or anything, just kinda, avoiiid kinda.
♡ Hello from the future! (6+ hours) SooFsx
Amazing Icon by genie
Ping me if you need me!
21 Jan 2017, 3:30 pm
More often than not I find myself trying to predict their personality based on their personal icons, at least a vibe.
Free Sneep/Manatee Studding
~You should probably ping me
deviantart
29 | married | icelandic | dragonkin | FV +6 hrs
20170222131517-0eb43560.png
21 Jan 2017, 3:32 pm
im too lazy to go thru and ping but i feel on you guys who said it gets you confused when someone changes an icon.... lol
since i learn to associate peoples icons with that specific person

its worse when someone else happens to use the exact same icon and someone did before and/or one very similar and you want to associate that person with the person who had the icon before.
b3weo6.gif
Tyler | 21 | INTJ | 6w5
⭐Art Blog⭐
Paintie Shop
Art Shop
21 Jan 2017, 3:37 pm
I don't judge, but I do imagine what they look like based on their icon. MZZA had a picture of a toad back in beta and I always imagined them being that grumpy toad, for example. I still do. It was really funny.

I think it's even funnier when their icons don't match their typing style. Like you have something really goofy and then they act super serious.
Please ping me, or I likely won't notice!
21 Jan 2017, 3:40 pm
I DO THIS EXACT THING omg
untitled_by_tiacie-dbuukpr.gif
21 Jan 2017, 3:41 pm
Sorta, but usually not negatively. Most of the time I think avatars are pretty neutral, but if a person has a really adorable avatar I might think of them as a more warm-hearted person? I mean, I have been proved wrong, believe me, but just talking about first impressions that's the feeling I get.
LvF9gA.pngMkDY5I.gif
21 Jan 2017, 3:45 pm
I don't judge peoples icons, but I do associate them with a specific icon. So when someone changes their icon to something completely different I do a double take as I momentarily forget who they are.
signiture_by_th15sle-dac79ao.png
21 Jan 2017, 3:46 pm
Only if it's a meme
a skunk is a skunk, you should smell how you want
ui12vpZ.png
21 Jan 2017, 3:48 pm
I get mixed up when someone changes their icon, though, I change mine frequently. If we could have gifs I would have my dA icon, but meh, still deciding for now. I also get really intimidated by good art icons though. Jellyyyy