What to ask before commissioning a fursuit?

15 May 2017, 10:26 am
Hi all!

Can't afford a suit atm, but for future reference, what are some good questions to ask a maker before commissioning them? So far I have:

-Do you offer bodysuit-only commissions to returning customers w/ partials?
-What are your suit eyes made of?
-Are your feetpaws indoor- or parade-soled, or do we get to choose? (note, the maker I'm looking at atm has no gallery images that show the bottoms of feetpaws, and no mention of it on their site)
-Do you offer fursuit sandals for indoor feet?
-Do you have a cleaning guide for your suits? (esp. the head) Are any parts of the suit machine-washable?
-Can your suits (incl. or excl. head) be vacuum packed without causing permanent deformation?
-Do you have any past customers that would be willing to comment on suit durability/comfort/overall quality? (this maker has a fair amount of suits in their gallery but only 2 reviews online I could find)

What else is worth asking? I feel like I'm missing important questions, and I'd hate to someday order a suit only to have it arrive with a problem I could have avoided by asking about it first!
siggy_by_cryptozoolo_by_princess_celesti

15 May 2017, 10:03 pm
Terms of service, and how long it takes them to make a fursuit head. If you have vision [glasses] you may want to ask if their heads fit with them and if the maker can put a fan in the head so they won't fog up.

check to see if they've had any buyer bewares, if they did were they resolved?

good luck!
xSRsBu0.pngnYno2vL.png
16 May 2017, 12:27 pm (Edited 16 May 2017, 12:27 pm)
Rhee
Thank you for your ideas! I will be sure to ask about the timeframe. I don't wear glasses so that should be alright, but I'll ask about fans in general for keeping cool.

Can't seem to find anything negative about them, which is nice! Also they seem to have more suits in progress atm on their Twitter, so hopefully more reviews for them will be online soon.
16 May 2017, 9:22 pm (Edited 16 May 2017, 9:22 pm)
Choccie
Sometimes it is hard to get the customer to make the review even if they love the suit. I have a few people who have yet to review me but keep promising that they will. I feel like a nag when I ask so I eventually stopped asking for their reviews. :I

Fans help, but there really don't cool, much of anything...actually they pull in smells and blow stray fur into your face. I love having them, but if you're under the impression that they'd keep you from being hot, it's not that effective
xSRsBu0.pngnYno2vL.png
17 May 2017, 9:04 am
Rhee
Huh, I can't imagine why someone wouldn't want to leave a review! If someone made me a lovely suit, I'd want to let everyone else know!

I didn't realise fans weren't good for cooling though! I figured that was what they were for XD Thank you for letting me know! I don't think the maker offers electronics anyways, they don't seem to mention them on their site at all. Ah well! I can always get one of the small ones you put on a lanyard if I decide I need one.
17 May 2017, 9:31 pm
they cool but it's not quite the same level most people imagine, the freezey body vests cool far better but often times cost as much as a fursuit or partial They do help but at the same time for toony heads at least nothing works better than a properly cut mouth/muzzle, a fan there helps circulate.

Ah my commissioners are all very busy in Real life and I think after an 18hr shift one really isn't in the mood to type up a review

I'm in no mood to do anything after my 12hr shifts well besides sleep
xSRsBu0.pngnYno2vL.png
17 May 2017, 9:35 pm (Edited 17 May 2017, 9:36 pm)
i'd ask if the maker owns any pets or is a smoker, because if someone is allergic they could get damage to their health ;b;
♥ ! Read the info on the page ! ♥
17 May 2017, 9:43 pm
Ask them how they'd like the measurements taken, where, specifically, they'd like you to measure, etc! Sometimes people take measurements in different ways that can cause discomfort in the final product. This is a good rule for any kind of clothing or costume in general!
ryn 27 they/them
17 May 2017, 9:46 pm
Hello sorry for intruding on y'all's post. But I was thinking of getting a fursuit sometime myself. And these are definitely good questions to ask!
Though if fans aren't for cooling then what are they for. I was thinking about having one added since I just like having air flow.
18 May 2017, 11:05 am
Emperorbara
they do cool, but it's sort of misleading
most usually have the one muzzle fan, and it is a game changer however if you go around dancing in the heads that have the fan expecting to stay cool, it's not going to happen you still get hot and chance overheating, I don't want you guys to think that the fan somehow prevents overheating,

personally I'm leaning to the vests, would be a better investment [since you could use them in multiple fursuits]. I have a neck pack filled with ice packs and that keeps me cool for 30-45mins in 3/4 suit so I'm thinking the ice packs on torso are a better way to go.

but fans are awesome I wouldn't be able to see without one defogging my glasses.
I'd like to do a three fan set up but not at a good place for that and I'm not putting it in a pre made since people like lowballing them.
xSRsBu0.pngnYno2vL.png