Would i get hate for my fursuit?

14 Jul 2017, 10:37 am
So im going to start making my first partial fursuit, but people say smaller fursuits and younger people get hate..
Im not fully developed yet as im pretty small for my age. And its my first time making a fursuit anyways, and im scared about getting hate because i suffer from depression and anxiety. I've been bullied before, cyber and at school, and i hate it. I'd hate to be bullied again by my fursuit.
I may edit this later is people want to see progress of my fursuit, im working on the ref sheet of my sona, but i have his general idea and everything ready for Saturday once i get everything.
If people want to be added to a pinglist ill do that c:
knbKB1r.png

14 Jul 2017, 10:41 am
As far as I know, your height isn't going to make somebody call you out.
Out of interest, how tall are you?
If it's my forum, you don't need to ping!

If you don't know me, I like birds. Mostly chickens. Chickens.
14 Jul 2017, 10:46 am
I think the main concern of potential young fursuits is cuz it isn't obvious if the person inside is an adult or a kid. I've seen plenty of positivity toward young/short fursuits because it shouldn't be a big deal, whatever opinions people may have in private conversations. You'd be more likely to be bullied by non-furs than by furries.
Please ping me! I love turtles ::: Furaffinity || I make tails
fYFbMeF.png
tumblr_ou46rnWqOW1sykfw1o1_540.png
Banner by Boilmaboi. 2 hours behind FV time
14 Jul 2017, 10:46 am
As far as I know, your height isn't going to make somebody call you out.
Out of interest, how tall are you?

5,1 so im pretty tiny
knbKB1r.png
14 Jul 2017, 10:47 am
I would like to see progress of you fursuit when you get started. I always love fursuits
Furry fur life
14 Jul 2017, 10:47 am
Fursuits tend to make you taller. So you may appear taller than what you naturally are.

I also would love to see your progress on your suit.
14 Jul 2017, 10:48 am
no, nobody will give you hate. the only stigma against younger people having fursuits is that it doesnt make a lot of sense to commission one since youre still growing and you can easily grow out of that fursuit and waste a TON of money, but if youre making your own that is irrelevant, especially since it is a fursuit and you'll probably either make more or make improvements on the first suit anyway. a lot of fursuit makers just don't work with minors for those reasons (as well as financial liabilities)
that being said, if you're worried over being bullied because of your suit you might want to think twice before getting one. unless youre exclusively only wearing it to cons and not showing anyone else, people might think it is a little weird, non furries in particular. if youre at a non furry con, like an anime con with your suit you might have people approach you like "oh wow, what is this this is weird"
generally people are kind, but you might have a couple of jerks. it just kind of happens
god's mistake / 23 / Female / MST (Furvilla time -1)]
14 Jul 2017, 10:49 am (Edited 14 Jul 2017, 10:50 am)
Where would you be taking the suit? If its to a meetup or con, I'm sure people will be encouraging to newer makers! There are always negative people out there, but I think most suiters are happy to see new talent!

On another note, and I know you said this is your first one so maybe you already have this in mind, if you are still growing it might not be the best idea to make a suit that you are planning on keeping, since you will grow out of it. Might be fun practice, but you should also bear in mind that you probably won't be able to sell it down the line for the same reason.

Good luck with making a suit! They are such a cool project but a huge undertaking~
v1bHoNS.gif
Salem/Provie - she/her - 27 y/o
14 Jul 2017, 7:19 pm
Salem pollyanna Clawbacon Red2394

Thank you all c: I may keep the suit since its a partial if it turns out well.
Ill be sure to post a few pictures of progress if anyone wants to see!
knbKB1r.png
2 Aug 2017, 8:06 am
no, nobody will give you hate. the only stigma against younger people having fursuits is that it doesnt make a lot of sense to commission one since youre still growing and you can easily grow out of that fursuit and waste a TON of money, but if youre making your own that is irrelevant, especially since it is a fursuit and you'll probably either make more or make improvements on the first suit anyway. a lot of fursuit makers just don't work with minors for those reasons (as well as financial liabilities)
that being said, if you're worried over being bullied because of your suit you might want to think twice before getting one. unless youre exclusively only wearing it to cons and not showing anyone else, people might think it is a little weird, non furries in particular. if youre at a non furry con, like an anime con with your suit you might have people approach you like "oh wow, what is this this is weird"
generally people are kind, but you might have a couple of jerks. it just kind of happens

I've never seen furries being bullied at anime cons though, most of them are admired where I come from. As cosplayers aren't the most typical person either, I think people can be much more open-minded than you think :) The only thing I've ever encountered that I found a bit frustrating (but understandable in a way) is that when I asked questions about the suit itself, the person didn't respond because they refused to break out of character.. And up to now I'm still clueless about what their species was x)
That being said, you are correct on the rotten apples though which is a sad thing..
2 Aug 2017, 8:08 am
It'd be unfair for furries to judge people based off of size or looks -.-
pangolotls_banner.png
16 Oct 2017, 2:07 pm
tiger_blue
I am 22 years old and only 5',0" and I can tell you that I am never harassed for my height in fursuit. Unless you can count people screaming about how little and cute I am as harassment!

Furries, and fursuiters in general, understand that every fursuit maker has to start somewhere. While they may be able to tell that you are young or new to making fursuits, you are likely to receive a lot of encouragement. Anyone who bullies you over it is one of those rare elitist folks that we like to pretend don't exist. :')

Here's this wacky photo of me partialling with the tallest fursuiter I know!

a1Z7Usi.jpg
k0Mck0k.png
FADA
16 Oct 2017, 2:29 pm
You could go with a friend you trust so they can defend you in case any meanies show up!! :0 That's what I do when I don't feel safe going somewhere!! I wish you good luck <3 <3

Lights off!
fu4RVGY.gif
Bella!!✮16✮She✮BR✮Softly Femme✮46808
I made a thread once asking people which village was the gayest it was wild
ART/PAINTIE SHOP :D
17 Oct 2017, 11:43 am (Edited 17 Oct 2017, 11:46 am)
I would hope you don't get any hate! If you do, just ignore them! I'm technically a "young fur" myself, but I am like 6'1" so I haven't really ever had a problem in suit; however, I have dealt with occasional hate outside of suit. My best advice is to just make your suit since it is what you enjoy and just ignore all the haters!

Edit: Also, I would stick with a partial for now since you are still growing (most likely)
He/Him|Georgia,USA
Currently 17yo
Icon by: flashwolf & Vista by: buffalo
INTP-T
17 Oct 2017, 1:38 pm
I'm sure you'll be alright! A lot of the hubub about it is because of how expensive suits are but since you're making it yourself and it's just a partial it's really not as expensive, I'm making a 3/4 suit myself and I would love to see your progress!! ^-^
Smol lesbean fox (sometimes wolf)
Twitter: @/seabreezefox