Fursuit acting tips?

23 Oct 2017, 5:58 pm
I am getting a DAD fursuit soon! I am very excited
dad_bird_by_mimmiley_db8c6w2_by_snowfurs

Will be made by SleepyFeline
amino__3__by_snowfurs-dbrit0m.png

So, I need some performance tips!

23 Oct 2017, 5:59 pm
while i've never been in a suit myself, i've heard that a general rule of thumb is to make your actions bigger/more dramatic, so they're seen better
╭━━━━━━━━━━♔━━━━━━━━━━╮
Vee//(he/they)//22//services// need help?
wzezmew
╰━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━╯
nx5na99
i used to be kankri! ping me using @81311!
FV Help Guide | Chris and Rotsy's Guide
23 Oct 2017, 6:11 pm (Edited 23 Oct 2017, 6:18 pm)
wafflez2 I've been fursuiting for well over 7 years. Acting is one of my passions and areas of study, and it's made much more fun in a fursuit!

Here are some tips:

- Make sure the character you are playing has a set personality, the last thing you want to accidentally switch 'personalties' halfway through

-PRACTICE, both in and out of suit, it's important to get used to the feel of the character, if you can do them out of suit, you can do them in suit.

-Give your character a adjective for the way they move, are they hyper? If so then their movements would be sudden. Are they more calm? then their movements should be more graceful and done in arcs.

-Use a camera: It's important to know how you look to an outsider, you may think you look cute, but your movements may look random or even reckless to someone looking in, record yourself and adjust accordingly.

-To add onto that last one, be dramatic with your actions, make yourself noticeable, but make sure you are always in control of your actions so that your nor anybody around you gets put in danger.

-Come up with a voice, practice, record yourself, repeat.

- Lots of head movements are important, even the most expressive suits are limited in the emotions they can show, moving your head will let lothers know how your character is feeling.

-Adding to that last one, if the face of your fursuit is happy, but you want to show your character being sad or some other, non-happy emotion, a good tip is to 'hide' your face using your paws or turn away. so your suit's face won't break the illusion of emotion.

Always have something to do with your arms, even if they are idle. if not you will look stiff and your movements will appear robotic or awkward. Come up with a relaxed position for your arms that they can take when you aren't using them.

I'm sure there are many others, but I'd need to jog my memory!
PIXu6rC.gif
25 Oct 2017, 11:09 am
grooming yourself is something cute to do during the lull in activity, What Xen posted is spot on you don't want to break character and become another character
xSRsBu0.pngnYno2vL.png
7 Nov 2017, 10:43 am
Well Dutchies make bird sounds, you might want to invest in and learn how to use one of these
Give yourself away to this irresistible melody!
Art from Cookie Run: Ovenbreak >>>aaa.gif
7 Nov 2017, 10:51 am
Unfortunately, I have no advice (though I agree that Xen is spot on!) but I just wanted to comment on how great that dutchie looks :o! I'd love to see what the actual fursuit of em would look like
• Carolin | 6+FV |Time | She/Her | INFJ | Taurus | Oceandome | #53304 •
✨ Give apolly0n a hug ✨
ecada3b1_a218_4dd5_ab26_2111949b23fe_by_
Formerly known as Sandfall (sorry if this causes confusion ;v;)
Icon by pedroinboxfort / Vista by genie
13 Nov 2017, 7:40 pm (Edited 13 Nov 2017, 7:41 pm)
The mirror is your friend. When you try the suit on for the first time, find the biggest mirror you can and experiment with different poses and movements. Have fun with it and just goof around. Pay attention to how your suit reacts to your movements. You might find that the ears wiggle nicely when you move a certain way, or you can express a new emotion just by tilting your head just right.

Think about how they would interact with different objects in their environment. Would they try to play with it? Would they try to eat it? Would it's existence confuse them? Would they be afraid of it?

Don't worry about having your character's personality completely figured out before you get your suit. That will develop on its own every time you wear your suit. Just have a basic idea of how you want your character to behave and don't be afraid to let a few things change from your original plans. That will help your performance feel more natural.
7 Dec 2017, 10:40 am
Also about the sounds, make a high pitched 'ew' for a chirp, or roll your tounge and somehow make it high pitched for a longer chirp.
Give yourself away to this irresistible melody!
Art from Cookie Run: Ovenbreak >>>aaa.gif