Quest Revamp Ideas and Feedback

6 Nov 2017, 5:34 pm (Edited 13 Oct 2018, 8:31 pm)
Hello everyone!
I've been working behind the scenes on some ideas for a quest revamp and would like to share these ideas with you for any feedback or input you all may have!

This does not mean we're doing the revamp any time soon.
There's no ETA for when the revamp will happen. There are other things with a higher priority right now, but in the mean time I'll be here with you guys to discuss the quest revamp and gather as much feedback and ideas as I can for in the future.

UPDATED 20-11-2017
I've tried to make some of the quests more challenging in theory based upon the feedback gotten, but please keep in mind we want the quests to be newbie friendly as well ;)

The current ideas are as follows;
Quest types

*Name an item
-The NPC will say they're looking for a plant/pet/reagent/etc. item and give the description of the item, the user has to fill in the right and full item name in a submit box, the NPC will tell the player they have the right item and gives them X amount of quest shards + random small amount of FC, if the player doesn’t have the right item the NPC will say something along the lines of “No, I don’t think that’s it. Could you keep looking for me?”
A small snippet of the item picture could be showed for visual reference for players who aren’t familiar with the site’s items yet.
Example;
ulFg8xO.png
Or
R2X4Yho.png
"The item I'm looking for is a(n) [X] item. I believe it's described as; An omnivorous plant that will eat just about anything. We do mean anything. Think of it like a living garbage disposal."
UPDATES
There won't be a specific pool the NPC will pick from, it can be any item on the site excluding equipment due to the artwork for many equipment items being the same.
The fill in box won't be case sensitive and ideally it won't be sensitive to white space, but that will depend on the site's coding.
Wrong guesses will lower your reward, the lowest it will go is to 1 quest shard and 0 FC.

*Warrior quest, village specific if possible, meaning you have to defeat monsters in the village you're currently residing in
-The NPC will tell the player that X monster has been a problem to them lately and asks the player if they can slay X amount of [monster] for them. If village specific isn’t possible the NPC can just say that a group of monsters has been causing problems and asks the player to slay X amount of monsters for them. When the player comes back to get their reward the NPC will give X amount of quest shards + a small amount of FC.

*Pet "breeding"
-The NPC will tell the player they’ve always wanted Y pet and asks the player to get X amount of Y pet for them and will take the X amount of pets from your inventory in exchange for X amount of quest shards + a small amount of FC. There won't be a system that will check where the pet came from so you can also buy the pets from other people's stalls.

*Cooking
-The NPC will ask the player to cook X meal for them for a dinner party they’re having because they don’t have time themselves, when the player delivers X meal the NPC will give X amount of quest shards + small amount of FC + some of the ingredients that were used in the meal’s recipe since the NPC didn't get to use them.

*Exploring
-The NPC asks the player to scout the area X amount of times (for whatever reason), after returning the NPC will give X amount of quest shards + a small amount of FC. An additional feature can be the NPC asks for X amount of explorations to be done and asks for X amount of specific items as well, village specific if possible, if not the NPC will simply ask for X amount of seeds/material/wood/etc. non-specific items.

*Furniture shopping
-The NPC will tell the player they've been wanting to do some redecoration and will ask the player for X amount of specific furniture items, the furniture will be specific to the village the player resides in if possible, otherwise the NPC will ask for X amount of non-specific furniture. the NPC will give X amount of quest shards + a small amount of FC upon giving the items.

*Medicine delivery
-The NPC will tell the player that a friend of theirs got sick and will ask for X amount of medicines of any potency. Village specific if possible. Could possibly ask for a mix of different medicines at once. The NPC will give X amount of quest shards + a small amount of FC upon delivery.

*Delivering to NPCs
-The NPC will ask the player to obtain X amount of items/pets for X NPC and if the player could deliver it to the NPC. Upon delivering the items/pets the player returns to the NPC and will receive X amount of quest shards + a small amount of FC. Village specific if possible so shop NPCs can be included in the quests, if not the quest will be limited to delivering things to the mayors/Puck/Frostbite by visiting their profiles. Upon visiting the profiles the player will get a message and the option to open a popup screen to give the items.

NEW *Mending clothes
-The NPC will ask the player if they can help mend their clothes. The player will need a tailor and use a sewing set + fabric to mend the clothes they've gotten (not an actual item will be produced). Mending clothes will take an hour. Upon visitng the NPC again after mending their clothes the player will receive X amount of shards + a small amount of FC.

*General quest features
-All quests will exclude limited/special items.
-The NPC won't ask for color specific pets.
-The NPC won't ask for equipment items in any quests.
-Levels won't increase difficulty of the quests, but merely serve as a way to "unlock" prizes in the shop.
-Gembound plushies will be available for purchase at level 20.
-Midnight Shifty plush will be available for purchase at level 15.
-Shifty Morphing Potion recipe will be available for purchase at level 10.
-Mechanical Heart/Brain Blueprint and Oil Can will be available for purchase at level 1.
-There's a limit of 5 items/pets the NPC can ask for at once.
-There's a limit of 10 monsters that need to be defeated the NPC can ask for at once.
-There's a limit of 60 times exploring the NPC can ask for at once.
-There's a limit of 3 food items the NPC can ask for at once in the cooking quest.
-Quests have a time limit of 24 hours to complete.
-Players can decide what level of difficulty they want the warrior quest to be, level 0-5 for easy, 5-10 for medium, 10-15 for hard, 15+ for extreme.
-Players get a popup screen to select which items/pets they want to give to prevent accidentally voiding items/pets they wanted to keep.
UPDATES
-3 Randomized quest types will be shown to the player, the player can't refresh the page for new quests until they've accepted and completed or declined one of the quests or until the site rollover has passed.
-Players will need to wait 30 minutes before they can accept another quest after accepting and declining the first one. This is to prevent people from spam accepting and canceling quests until they get a quest type they want to do.
-Players can complete 10 quests every day until the site rollover and accept and cancel quests unlimited until the 10 quest limit has been reached.
-If subscriptions happen, players with a subscription can complete an additional 10 quests, making it a max. of 20 quests each day.
-Players can pick a difficulty for the item guessing quest for higher rewards. Easy has description + a visual + item type. Medium has only description + item type without a visual. Hard only has a small part of the description + item type without a visual. Extreme only has a small part of the description and no item type and no visual.
-There's a limit of 3 Super Rare monsters the NPC can ask for to be defeated for level 15+ warrior quests.
-There's a limit of 40 items the NPC can ask for at once in exploration quests.
-The NPC can ask for up to 20 pieces of fabric and 5 sewing sets in the clothes mending quest.
-Players will need to complete 5 quests to reach level 1 starting from level 0, the amount of completed quests needed to level up will increase by 5. Example level 0 - 5 quests, level 1 - 10 quests, level 2 - 15 quests, etc.
-Level 20 will be the max. level a player can reach. After that people can still do quests for shards but won't progress in levels.
-The NPC will never check where you got the items from that you're giving, so you can buy everything you need from a user's stall or NPC shop if you want.

Please feel free to leave any feedback and ideas you may have! I'll add onto the post with the new ideas and changes you guys may come up with and will do my best to keep the thread updated! Please suggest more items that could be added to the shop as well if you want any!
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Site Rules | Paintie Rules | CSS Rules
Offsite Trading Rules | File a Report | Change Log | Contact Us | Knowledgebase

6 Nov 2017, 6:56 pm
Thread is officially open and up for discussion.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Site Rules | Paintie Rules | CSS Rules
Offsite Trading Rules | File a Report | Change Log | Contact Us | Knowledgebase
6 Nov 2017, 7:03 pm
I like all of these ideas! It's a lot more fun than basically being given a shopping list.
she/her, 23, aroace. Find me as Karmalarma everywhere!
❤~❤~❤
6 Nov 2017, 7:04 pm
Those all sound like lovely ideas. I think the main issue for current quests is that the prizes (excluding plushie quests) seem too hard to reach (and it's expensive to quest) so it'd be good to have some small prizes available for a few shards. The suggested quests seem a bit more balanced in terms of effort Vs reward, which is good
jhdUcrV.gif
__• FV for FR
__• HQ cute art commissions open
6 Nov 2017, 7:06 pm (Edited 6 Nov 2017, 7:11 pm)
small bit on the pet breeding, please be sure to have a way where the commons are the first to be taken? be it a select object screen or some sort of logarithm, would be terrible to accidentally have your SR stud poofed away because the color name is higher in the alphabet than the others.

edit: another thing, if the quests are timed and/or there's a penalty to skipping one, is there some way to remove it from the user's pool when breeding charges are out, or too low to complete the goal?

edit edit: also, would it check to see if the source is one of the user's villagers and only select those, or could someone with no charges left buy 20 beetles or something and do that instead? or would it track the change in breeding charges left? both? neither?
6 Nov 2017, 7:10 pm
answrs said:
small bit on the pet breeding, please be sure to have a way where the commons are the first to be taken? be it a select object screen or some sort of logarithm, would be terrible to accidentally have your SR stud poofed away because the color name is higher in the alphabet than the others.

This is really my only concern, but other than that id love for all of those quests too be added!
Dizzie - She/Her - Demi

100806fbaa67c7e8b9d22f3dd9b876116ace71b7
6 Nov 2017, 7:13 pm
I'd like all but the pet one- accidentally having pets poofed of non common color rarities.
On FR and CS under the same name.?yY-zh=party.png

Ping me again if I don't respond in 24 hours, there's a chance I clicked and forgot to respond.
6 Nov 2017, 7:20 pm
answrs said:

edit: another thing, if the quests are timed and/or there's a penalty to skipping one, is there some way to remove it from the user's pool when breeding charges are out, or too low to complete the goal?

edit edit: also, would it check to see if the source is one of the user's villagers and only select those, or could someone with no charges left buy 20 beetles or something and do that instead? or would it track the change in breeding charges left? both? neither?

I'm with this person.
My Pokefarm
6 Nov 2017, 7:36 pm
I'd really love a way for you to be able to choose which of the following quests you can do. It would kinda suck for non-warriors to be handed a warrior quest. Aside from that, GIVE THEM TO ME BABY, UH-HUH UH-HUH!
gazimchamp
6 Nov 2017, 7:45 pm
While I would probably enjoy the new quest system more, the current quest system isn't BAD because it asks for items. It's bad because the way the levels scale is impossible. The exp you need to level up is exponential, and each quest level starts asking for more items. I think for now, before more resources can be put into a revamp, it'd be nice to add an item maximum and reduce the exp needed to level up for higher levels.
jess #7302 | she/her | links
6 Nov 2017, 7:53 pm
I love all of the new ideas but I think there should still be quests that ask for items too as it'll give a boost to the site's economy. Right now it's pretty difficult to sell certain things here, the only stuff I don't really have trouble selling is seeds, food and wood.

But yeah all of the new ideas sound really fun! ^-^
6 Nov 2017, 8:12 pm
I love those new quest ideas. They will definitely make quests way more interesting!
6 Nov 2017, 8:27 pm
While I would probably enjoy the new quest system more, the current quest system isn't BAD because it asks for items. It's bad because the way the levels scale is impossible. The exp you need to level up is exponential, and each quest level starts asking for more items. I think for now, before more resources can be put into a revamp, it'd be nice to add an item maximum and reduce the exp needed to level up for higher levels.
^ Perfectly put. I don't mind quests as they are, provided the different levels would be actually *reachable.* And with no SR items or limited event items required.

~ Gerbil the chinchilla | "he" = yes; "they" = very yes | old as dirt ~
~ ate a lot of food once | forever chasing Mimics ~
~ has big dreams, and little common sense ~
nifty icon by dedenne
6 Nov 2017, 8:44 pm
As others have said, I don't have an issue with quests being an item fetch system.

The problem is how quickly it gets out of control, both in the number of items you are asked for as you gain levels, and how many quests you need to complete to advance to the next level.

On top of that, it seems silly that a prize costs 500 QP, but you need to be quest level 10 (10,000 quests completed last time i guestimated, correct me if i'm wrong with that) before you can actually buy it.

But as a general concept, I actually really liked quests in the sense that they gave some purpose to restocking at the village shops, and keeping your own stall filled with village exclusives to sell to questers.  It's a nice way to make some money, and little by little is an FC sink, whether the quester is buying from the NPC shop or buying from someone who already sank FC into the NPC shop.

So yeah, honestly I was hoping that quests would still be item fetch tasks, just..... not go so wildly out of hand with each passing level :(

HOWEVER !!!
Why not all of them?  Just about every pet site I've ever played had multiple quest systems (neopets, subeta, ichumon, etc).  So having multiple quest givers would allow users to earn shards in a number of different ways.

You might not be able to have the be unlimited though (like how you can currently do as many quests in a day as you desire), because otherwise users would just... indefinitely name items until they have all the prizes.  But I'm totally down for some variety.
9203899_HKyfmms8htbfv5F.png
da thtwitter

art by sugaryu
6 Nov 2017, 8:47 pm
omg, all of those sound really good. I think the best one though would be the name an item or exploring, as it doesnt cater to any specific players (ie, hardcore AH players, hardcore warrior players, etc)
Spr_5b_428_s.pngSpr_5b_302.pngSpr_5b_625_s.png
6 Nov 2017, 8:54 pm
I'm iffy on the animal husbandry one because of the stupid charges limit, I already have my breeds planned out forever since I can never get to all my pets ever and I don't want to be forced to breed like say arcties when I've already completed that set and gotten that nightmare done and over with when I can be breeding... say kritties which have been tormenting me for 9 months to almost a year now... =/ also I prioritize those godawful FDE pets because they're limited so I don't think I have charges to be wasting on other random pets I've already gotten out of the way.

The whole idea sounds kinda fun though, it does seem rather exciting and sounds better than the current quest system we actually currently have. Though I do agree with what cute has said that I don't think an item fetching quest is bad or anything per say but the way it works right now, many people quickly find it impossible/a waste of time and resign from even trying, rendering it basically useless after a while. If done right I see it being a good FC sink honestly and would help the site's economy.
growlif_by_daieny-d7uk70y.png
7 Nov 2017, 12:15 am
Mmmm these sound really good! Except gor pet breeding..Some people just don't have luck with animal husbandry :'0
Maybe you could let the players choose what kind of quests they want to do?

13659130_l8P.png

---------- ♢ ----------

khatula | she/her or they/them | 18
Toyhou.se | main tumblr | another tumblr |about
ping me using @37474

---------- ♢ ----------
7 Nov 2017, 12:29 am (Edited 7 Nov 2017, 12:34 am)
I like the new quests in the OP, except for the animal husbandry one. Please just.... completely revamp animal husbandry before including it in anything else. It's just in such a rough state and it could really do with an overhaul, and adding it in quests in any sense of the word rn would just create more work when that revamp eventually (hopefully) comes.

Also, i'm not sure what "village specific" warrior quests would entail? If you're in QP and you got a DMM warrior quest you'd have to pay 25k and switch villages to complete it? (Then wait 2 weeks if you got another one in a different village?)

I kicked Rukral out of the bungeon

7 Nov 2017, 12:34 am
Okay I like this idea much much more then the current quest system. I've pretty much quit doing the quests because it was getting very aggravating and extremely expensive. This is nice since you do have to do the work for the shards BUT it doesn't actually cost anything for a person to do. The old quest system has issues when there were not enough people out of your village selling an item in the stalls and then end up with a person paying an extreme price for something just because they are not in that village.
GNU: Terry Pratchett | Work 8 hrs a day every day no smartphone. Festivals make me headesk

7 Nov 2017, 12:39 am
I love all of the options! You could offer all of them, "job board" RPG style where you simply select which quest poster has the right job for you, so that you don't have to do a job you'd be bad at in order to progress. Or if you'd think one of them would be more fun than the others, if you want an easy time, or if you want to be challenged.

Other than that, I also agree with this sentiment:
msjanny said:
they/themself | Taylor | bad at speaking
Fight Me (ง'̀-'́)ง Art Fight
7 Nov 2017, 12:45 am
I think the pet one needs to wait until a potential revamp of animal husbandry. Right now (unless there's no skipping penalty or no time limit) there's too many ways to get stuck on this quest. Out of charges, out of rtb pets, not enough inventory space for all those non-stacking pets, etc. Other than that I like the ideas. Though I agree the fetch quests as is should still be included, just with fixed item rarities and amounts.
xKSncrg.png
7 Nov 2017, 12:51 am
There's roughly 2,877 items on site so "guessing" something based on the item descriptions or snippets of images sounds vaguely ridiculous for newer or casual players. I'm on another site that does this once a year and it's not as fun as the admins seem to think it is. The Item Museum helps but that's still 144 pages long today.

While it would definitely help players talk--what is this thing?- to each other I don't know if the player base is broad enough for someone to get help in time for timed quests.

Warrior quest--fairly okay now that everyone is swimming in FG to buy warrior elixirs with. Unless, of course, there's a "We need you to defeat 5 Harbingers" quest. It's definitely not newbie friendly nor is it helpful for those who don't do the warrior career depending on what it asks you to defeat.

Pet Breeding: fairly impossible to do if you have to breed them yourself, okayish if you can buy from other players. I'm hoping there's no time limit on this one.

Cooking: nicely accessible and a fairly good sink. Maybe instead of ingredients we get a new food item called "leftovers" that can be fed to villagers for a random number of food points.

Exploring: ? Maybe just limit it to X numbers of items found Exploring in your town?

If more than one of these is doable then perhaps players can choose which type of quest to do. Each quest type might give the same base reward (shards and FC based on difficulty) plus a "bonus" prize that shows up occasionally (item class based on the quest type). That would allow players with different playstyles to always be able to choose something in their interests.

I'm trying to keep in mind that not all quests are designed to be possible. FV likes to slow progress by making costs ridiculously high (retired items being asked for in quests) to impossible to do (Feathered Daggers being asked for in quests before they were released on site). I am expecting a change to the shards/levels since the ones in place now look as though they were designed to give the devs time to get back to them well before the Gembound Plushes were reachable. I may be disappointed here.
The goldenrod box that pops up when you interact with an item is the value the site will give you if you sell to the site.
7 Nov 2017, 1:17 am
I love all of those ideas way more than what we currently have, they sound way better and way more fun!
I agree with some concerns above about the animal husbandry part though. You should be able to choose what pets they take or they only take common and/or uncommon pets.
Ping me please!

7 Nov 2017, 1:41 am
I like all of these ideas! It's a lot more fun than basically being given a shopping list.
doubletrouble_0.jpg
original.gif Jay | They/Them | INFJ original.gif
7 Nov 2017, 1:57 am
If quest shards is the reward out of all of these, I'm cool with that. I love the idea of cooking quests, with a chance to have a little world building for the world's cuisines. Tho', if we do food quests, could we have medicine quests? Like, someone sick and weary comes to your village seeking aid, asking for medicines of any potency? Considering I reside in the frozen peaks of Furvilla, it'd make sense hard times would happen somewhere. That, and you could always do a werewolf implication with DMM when it comes to medicine quests, what with that silver concoction and all. ;p

Warrior quests seem doable, but I'm a little worried on how Explorer quests would work if it doesn't ask for relatively small amounts of items (like 10 or 20 of one item kind of amount). If it required something like 50 items, it might need 2 hours of work to get done by luck of the draw. Of course it could be my luck, and everyone else is far luckier than I, so I wouldn't know if my perspective is skewed.
But I like all these, regardless. Nothing concrete here before some testing is done, but it's got a good foundation for something fun.