Sewing first fursuit

25 Jan 2018, 9:40 am
So I am making a fursuit for my son. It's a dutch angel dragon. I have the body made (with digi legs) the hand paws and the tail (almost broke my machine on the tail.) I still have the wings and the feet paws to make. The thing I am most apprehensive about it the head. I have looked at a lot of youtube and different written tutorials, I'm just really scared to get started on the head. Any advice? What problems have you all run into on your first fursuit heads?

25 Jan 2018, 10:04 am
Bump! I can't help but i hope you find someone who can ^^
Active
Commissions
Art Insta - Permeatinq
25 Jan 2018, 10:18 am
Hope you're able to work it out! If you have a pinglist / updates I'd love to see!
25 Jan 2018, 10:20 am
There is literally so much to say about the head but I'll cut it down to some things I personally struggled with when I got started.

If you're using the foam method, try to work with a few large pieces of foam instead of several small pieces. I've seen people try to glue more onto their heads after they shaved too much off and it looked a bit too bulky and bulbous in those areas when the transitions weren't very smooth. If you pay attention to your transitions, you can use this method, but it's so much easier to start big and shave down than to add more on. Additionally, the smoother you can get your foam the better. The fur will mask a lot of minor scrapes and nicks, but if they are too big, short pile fur absolutely will not cover the mistakes. Don't be afraid of using sculpting clay or play dough on a small scale to shape your head so that you have something 3D to go off of. Many people find it much easier than working off of drawings and you can see your problem areas in your design under different lights and at different angles. Making a practice head out of clay about the size of your fist will also make it easier to see what your head will look like from a distance, because getting up close and personal when you're working with a large foam head can sometimes warp your visual perspective- if that makes any sense...?

Agh, I'm not sure if I explained it all well, but I hope those are some tips that can help you or give you ideas of areas you can be wary of when you work!

To start the head, I like to use a long strip of foam that wraps around the front of the head and build off of that. This is similar to the foam method I use (minus all the plastic and metal bits): http://fursuit.tanidareal.com/savoy/en/03fmakeheada.htm

The cap method is another method I've used before (but I prefer the previous one), and is detailed pretty well here: http://matrices.tumblr.com/post/51490538463/tutorial-building-a-fursuit-head-with-foam
The only issue I take with this method is that it uses the 'add on' method I mentioned above. Now, granted, Matrices knows really well how to smooth out her foam transitions, but it might be more difficult for newer head makers.
NJ5dWJ5q2Xt8HcP2ovwxvxWmaCntPc
yahFKa
❤ I am not a mod, but I'm here to help! ❤
26 Jan 2018, 1:49 pm
Rotsuoy Thank you so much. This is a big help. I think I'm just scared to start. How do you do it without all the plastic and metal bits?
27 Jan 2018, 10:55 am
Rotsuoy Thank you so much. This is a big help. I think I'm just scared to start. How do you do it without all the plastic and metal bits?
I just attach a foam piece to the bottom of the top part of the head to make the jaw. I use pretty thick appulstry foam (3 -4inches) and cut a shape that I can attach and carve into a chin shape. (This drawing is very crude, but should give you an idea of what I mean.)
unknown.png You'll want the chin close to the bottom of your (or the wearer's) neck, under the chin, and it should fit snugly but not choke you. You can even round the bottom of the shape off so that it's more comfortable against the neck. If it's only attached in small spots like this and fit snugly, it will naturally open and close when the wearer opens and closes their mouth without the need for all that metal and plastic. It may not move quite right on your first head, but that's okay. It takes a little bit of time and work to learn how to attach it so that it moves will with pressure. The thicker your foam is, the better your shapes will be when you carve out the jaw.
NJ5dWJ5q2Xt8HcP2ovwxvxWmaCntPc
yahFKa
❤ I am not a mod, but I'm here to help! ❤
29 Jan 2018, 1:53 am
Alaskahsm lemme grab the link to the video i used :0 the lady used like 6 inch foam pads and glued 2 pieces together to hollow it out and work off that. It was so much easier for me
siggy.php?id=4299035mi2rdh.jpg
poPNAht.jpgpoPNm5.png
29 Jan 2018, 1:59 am
Alaskahsm here's the video i was talking about; https://www.facebook.com/starrykitsune/videos/1571611719588264/
siggy.php?id=4299035mi2rdh.jpg
poPNAht.jpgpoPNm5.png