how'd y'all find out you were a furry?

16 Jul 2019, 6:51 am
9: Started roleplaying on Moshi Monster Forums, made my first character (who started out as human but evolved into furry over the years)
10: Start reading Warrior Cats and made a shit ton of warrior OCs
11: Discover Deviantart and drew mainly feral animals
12-13: discover the furry terminology and decide to call myself that

To this day I still consider myself furry, although I still mainly draw ferals.
Avatar created by Ender369 on Toyhouse!

A-
AURORA BOREALIS?
AT THIS TIME OF YEAR,
AT THIS TIME OF DAY,
IN THIS PART OF THE COUNTRY,
LOCALIZED ENTIRELY WITHIN YOUR KITCHEN?!
31 Jul 2019, 8:51 am
My sister brought this curse upon me actually

I was in about grade 4 and my older sister asked me "you wanna make a fursona" I had no clue what that was but I thought "it can't be that bad" then we worked on two twins Terhikki and Jarkko lupe then I started learning more about furries and then I thought "oh this is what I am. couple of years later and here we are, my sister doesn't use Terhikki much for anything but as you can tell Jarkko is my main sona
JtY6uQo.png
I want you guys to know that I have mental illness since middle and I'm also ugly as duck
31 Jul 2019, 12:56 pm
I blame it on my friend.
I was on the bus (bout a year ago), and my friend was looking at horribly executed fursonas, I didn't really pay attention though. a couple days later a kid in my class made everyone put germ-x on their hands and called it, "anti-furry juice" I didn't put any on because I had a papercut on my hand, but everyone assumed I was a furry.
so I started looking more and more into the fandom, and whadda you know, a few months later I formally call my self a furry and have two anthro characters, plus one im working on.
im new and cant life, thanks.
4 Aug 2019, 7:26 pm
I was 12 years old (about 11 years ago) and it was a week from Halloween. I was browsing Youtube one day and saw someone showing off their fursuit. At first I thought they worked on a children's show and they brought the suit home. But then, I found out people do this for fun and there was a whole community based around it and that's when I knew that's what I wanted to be.
4 Aug 2019, 10:11 pm
Putting the facts that I play a chibi furry game and constantly think about my ocs aside, I never really considered myself a furry. However, about four years ago, I was interacting with a friend and was squawking annoyingly about all of the scary things I write and they were just like "So you're a furry?"

I looked it up and like a moth seeing light after being in endless darkness, I flew on over to the fandom. Understandably, I'm still labeled as a furry, and I probably am one. But I've just never myself considered myself an official member of the fandom.
9V0A2sd.png

h is a letter
5 Aug 2019, 1:32 am
For me, I think it was all about costumes (specifically animal costumes). Starting at age 5, I was *always* an animal for halloween. I really loved wearing tails and enacting my favorite animal movies. This interest grew into costume-making once I got older and was introduced to "fursuits." Not gonna lie, I tried the whole fursuit thing, enjoyed it for a bit at age 18-20-ish... I built a full-suit reindeer and a half-suit blue puppy, but that was about it. Now I'm happy to just wear ears or paw-shaped mittens and a tail for fun on halloween (I actually recently bought a skunk kigurumi which is much more comfortable, and possibly more "acceptable" to wear around other people - friends and family - since it's essentially loungewear).

Mascoting is something I've always loved to try full-time also after doing it for Sanrio (Hello Kitty). If I were more passionate about it, I probably would do it for a park or event place (who knew that some characters need people who are a certain height?).

I started drawing the characters from 101 Dalmatians and and the Lion King my art style evolved from there...

I do have an animal character that I can say "is me" and I have always easily associated with animals (these days I refer to them as "animal totems" or "guides"). Now, I don't know for sure anymore if I'm a closeted furry or not, but eh~ My family accepts these "things" - the costume-wearing and passion for animal characters - as a quirk and a facet of my personality. The denial's there, but I'm not fazed by it.

(bonus: hhhhh, CATS Broadway costumes are probably some of my favorite things... the hand-painted stripes, unique face paint, hand-crafted yak wigs, crocheted leg/arm warmers, and woven yarn tails. aaah!)
dTldP4E.gif
greyer | 140470 | she/her | -2 FV time | trade FC/FD/art for art??
DeviantArt | ko-fi | teepublic | Swifter Fox @ instagram
feel free to ping me!
5 Aug 2019, 2:04 am
I was searching for wolf costumes cause I was obsessed with wolves when I was twelve and wanted to learn how to make one, and then I found the fur-suiting site "Made Fur You". The rest is history lol
7 Aug 2019, 5:05 pm
Yall may take this a joke, but CrankThatFrank. I was watching some of his Try Not to Get Angry challenges and i kept seeing the people in animal suits and stuff so i got googling and found out alot more about furries then what i previously have misconceptions about and then knew i was a furry.
Lily the Wolsky
94ZBhYU.png
25 Sep 2019, 9:22 am
This is the only way I found out I was a furry but I wouldn't watch anything other movies but the ones that had animals in it.
Also, I kept watching a youtube channel called BetaEtaDelota.
Like they always say, I didn't choose furry life, the furry life chose me. :/
TheShadowDev
25 Sep 2019, 9:28 am
I drew a dog one day when I was like 10 and was like, "wouldn't it be cool if this dog could like, hold a sword?" and then it was all over for me
ReRt9eF.gif
25 Sep 2019, 9:53 am
My QPP is a furry and I was like "hey this thing slaps" and long story short I'm a furry now too

I was sixteen when I made my first fursona, Coda the Frilled Neck Lizard, then I moved onto Apollo the Boer Goat and now I have Tangent the Protogen

I've always been interested in animals, as well as furry culture in general, but the bad stigma around the fandom (and people around me who judged it harshly) was what prevented me from really just being a furry. Though seeing my QPP be so unapologetically furry made me realise it's a pointless thing to worry about, so nowadays I'm really open about it
Lofty/Apollo II 20 II Avi/Avis & They/Them II NB II Aromantic Asexual

II Tumblr II Twitter II AO3 II
3448-aromantic-pride-button.png 3445-asexual-pride-button.png 3508-writer-button.png
27 Nov 2019, 9:48 am (Edited 27 Nov 2019, 9:49 am)
My story is simple! When I was 11, I got obsessed in dragons (prob HTTYD or Spyro) because they were adorable eeek. And started getting more and more interested over those days, aaaaaaaand I decided to search le' epic internet "Google Images" to view some adorable cute dragons. And an image caught my eye which is a Dutch AD which I didn't even know the heck that was when I was 12... yes.. I was 12.. 1 year later... ugh, I clicked on it, though it says on the description "furry" and I was curious ,"what is a furry",

Started to look it up on le' epic Google Images again, suddenly... I got obsessed with it.. quite literally because they're adorable as hecc!

I started to know Dutch AD quite a bit, and then Protogens... and more and more until this very day. And at that part I realized that the fandom had a lot of negativity and I was disappointed "completely" over the reasons behind those negativity. (i don't think that's important, oh well xd)

(my story wasn't that simple but hey I tried, I won't recall my self as a furry though)
Hmm, I need a car... any car

JjQzyqr.png
27 Nov 2019, 10:01 am
i just, really liked drawing animals. then i saw anthropomorphic animals and i started drawing that. then i learned that there's something called being a furry and it's controversial, so i looked into it with an open mind and didn't think much of it. a few years later i found furvilla. fastforward to last summer where i was wearing bunny ears and tail at a convention :) fun times
27 Nov 2019, 10:36 am
I was always drawing animals and stuff as a kid, never humans. I guess I just liked animals way more, but basically, I would draw animals and different pictures for kids in my class for fun. As well as that, according to my family, I had become the unofficial #1 fan of the tiger mascot for one of the state's sports teams. Quick side story, apparently, one day when I was very little, while watching a game live, I had put on two foam cheering hands in the shape of paws and said to the mascot, "Look, I've got paws just like you!" Long story short, the mascot motioned for us to wait, left, and came back with both arms full of merch, which we got for free. Anyways, back to the point. Basically, I was a huge fan of animals, and would constantly ask for cats or dogs as pets (We ended up with two cats). One day, I was browsing YouTube and found these videos of cat ears that read your brainwaves and reacted appropriately, and electronic tails that wagged when you were happy. I got hooked. I had already started having an interest for werewolves and werecats and such, but the idea of being able to express my interests like that made me very excited. My recommended page on YouTube started filling with all these different animal cosplay tutorials, and then one day, a video explaining how to make fursuit paws showed up. I was ecstatic. I watched it over and over again, hoping I'd be able to make my own. Eventually, I worked with my mother to put together a low budget fursuit of my first fursona, Shadow. Then, we made an actual fursuit head with foam and fur instead of just a maskimal, and then later we made another for my bat character Myst. By that point, me, my family, and my entire grade knew I was a furry. Thankfully, the about of backlash wasn't that harsh from the school kids, mainly because I was the only furry in my grade that didn't hiss and make animal noises at people. But yeah, that's basically how it went down for me.
she/her | +1h Furvilla time

Mind a visit? A few spare interactions?
https://pfq.link/TheRetroMew
27 Nov 2019, 11:54 am
A old friend showed me and i did not think much of it but after awhile i noticed i was a furry and i hid it my sketchbook is filled with them and just recently my mom found out but she liked it and supports what i do.
"Sometimes we all need to just_ch1ll"
(says the one with a cat demon sona)
Goddess of sleeping
2+ furvilla time
I'm a Gamer msg me if ya want to play!
.Minecraft
.Pokemon ( i have shield)
27 Nov 2019, 12:08 pm
When I was a kid, i'd always love disney animations with anthro characters. I'd love to see how their tails moved, and always wanted to have one myself lmao
llKUKhw.png

╭────────────╮
TH × Site
Commissions
Vistas
╰────────────╯

18 Jan 2020, 12:29 pm
I still like to maintain I'm a closet furry or furry-in-denial, so... :'D

I always liked drawing animals, and movies with animals, and disney animal movies, and donald duck comics. Then pokemon came along, and the internet and neopets and subeta and such, and I found the anthro art kidna neat. Certainly been easier than humans to draw since I already drew animals for a long time by then.
A lot of my stories/art incorporated this.
18 Jan 2020, 12:46 pm
While I've been a furry for a long time(probably since I was 8), I only discovered what a furry was around three months ago. I am an avid discord user, I'm in 20+ servers and have been admin in around 7(all unaffiliated servers). So anyways, I was invited by a friend into a roleplay server. It wasn't one of those roleplays where you play as a specific character, it was based in S1914(supremacy 1914) and you roleplayed as a country. I joined as Sweden and about an hour later I got a DM from my neighbor Norway. It read "Hello my fellow furry." I was completely confused until I searched up what a furry was, and realized that I had a wolf as my avatar. There was no denying I was a furry, I always preferred creatures over human characters in video games, always picked Khajiit in Skyrim, was obsessed with D&D dragons to creating a campaign centered around them, loved dinosaur games(especially the Isle), and had even written part of a book draft from the PoV of a Suchomimus. After that I just embraced the fact, and now it's one of the main parts of my life. Heck, I've even converted a a person into a furry XD
isolation is fun, if you ever need someone to talk to, don't hesitate to pm, because I definitely need someone to talk to ;w;
18 Jan 2020, 1:49 pm
I always liked to watch animal cartoons and movies when I was a kid, and when I started to draw more often I only drew animals, I somehow made a couple of fursonas too without knowing what furries were. Somewhere around 2014-2016 I was on youtube one day and saw a video where someone was wearing a fursuit and I thought it was pretty cool. I looked around at a couple more fursuit videos and eventually found the term furry. At first I didn't call myself one cause I knew they get lots of backlash, but eventually I just shrugged that off and decided to call myself one. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
29 Jan 2020, 11:24 pm (Edited 29 Jan 2020, 11:28 pm)
There are many, many ways that I found out, but I'll just talk about the main three.

1) I discovered Deviantart, which happened around the same time as the release of Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon. So naturally, Deviantart and YouTube were still flooded with YTPs and screenshots of the cutscenes. I started reading about all of the existing Spyro franchises at the time and made up my mind that I really wanted to play them on my Wii. But my parents didn't think the Legend of Spyro games were very age appropriate for an eight year old, and didn't want to buy another console just to play Spyro. So when Skylanders happened, I lost my freaking mind.

Now that the Reignited trilogy exists, I'm living my dream :3

2) At this time I also had a subscription to the National Geographic Kids magazine, and one day while checking out a Kung Fu Panda 2 analysis, it had an advertisement for a new game called Animal Jam. I joined when it was about a month old.

3) Then Lego: Ninjago started airing on Cartoon Network and I had a phase for four years in which I obsessed over Pythor (I thought he was hot for some reason ._. )
If you don't know him, it's because the Lego Movie franchise didn't include him in the Lego Ninjago Movie even though he was extremely important to the plot.
I still like Ninjago, but I don't actively watch or keep up with it anymore.

dc8pzcr-960306ca-16bf-4c46-8198-3462e3fc
30 Jan 2020, 12:14 am
Foxes always enthralled me, I have never quite understood why, but I've always made more animalistic noises since I was young, and I still do, so much to the point, specific noises and tones are understandable to others. But the real furry moment was when my very furry friend asked me if I had a fursona, (probably when i was in elemenary to middle school, about 8-10 years ago) and I rushed around to make one, it ended up never seeing the light of day and was so long ago I have no recollection of what it even looked like anymore. The only things I remember about it is that I believe it was female, was two colors split down the center and its name was Bip0lar. And it wasnt until recently (well a year ago now) I remade that character into an officially approved Dutchie https://toyhou.se/3339907.bip0lar
30 Jan 2020, 12:45 am
For me... it was a couple of things.

Disney, being forced to read books in middle school (so basically I read the warrior cats), youtube, games...probably began with moshi monsters but animal jam played a bigger part. Also the internet! Though, I didn't admit I was a furry until the middle of middle school.
While I dwell upon the community often, I do not like being considered one. It's to late for that since my friend just kinda screams to everyone "They're a furry, gross."
I first heard the term "furry" on youtube. Though, I pretended it didn't exist a year or 2 after that. I rediscovered it by youtube again. I believe it was a fursuit unboxing or a dance contest thing?

My characters were really edgy...and they were pokemon and cats. Now they are custom species and actual animals but..haha.. still. My fursona actually began as a -chEsPIN- and was just a throw away. Now he is my everything.

mmmmmmmmh, I usually prefer creatures of Humans. I just think you can have so much more fun designing a creature. Or maybe I think that because of my inability to draw humans?
22213825_IrQIDvY0YMIu5mT.png
/JellBell Species\
"Life is like bologna. You're either bo-log-na or below-knee."
Current mood: Bored and busy
1 Feb 2020, 10:28 pm
I don't really know if I consider myself entirely a furry. When zootopia came out in 2016, I thought that it was interesting how animals wore clothes like human do. Then in grade 7, my friend kept telling me they were a furry every single day. I never asked what a furry was. Eventually, I searched what a furry was and found out. I was interested. The next day, I asked my friend how to draw a furry. They taught me how and I made my first fursona named Chiquitita.
The reason why I don't entirely call myself a furry is because as an artist, I draw way more than furries. If I have time, I would draw a human. If I'm bored, I would create another fursona.
When I was in grade 8, the same friend introduced me to furry fandom games like https://www.xanje.com/ and this game. I guess I would call myself a half furry (if that exists...).
Toyhouse
Xanje
DeviantArt
10 Apr 2020, 4:40 pm
Tbh I'm not really sure. I was really into Littlest Pet Shop when I was little and enjoyed shows with talking animals way more than ones with hoomans.
When Zootopia came out I lost my shit and freaking LOVED IT. Too much. Than I stumbled upon Pocari and the rest is history!